Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Sounds like you and I were on a similar mission yesterday Mic. I did a post mortem on the 2nd place eurosport. Kind of kicking myself because I found there is still a good .015" clearance under the axle, but what was dragging was the arm. With only 1/2 hour between the A Semi and the Main Event, I must have installed the motor with the slot between poles on the bottom which, of course, makes the stacks hang a bit low. I estimated the arm only had about .007" clearance and was starting to rub, had some arm dye removed. So, if only I had paid attention to that detail I would have been hammering the heck out of that car on the last two lanes instead of babying it thinking I was running out of tires. Lesson learned!

Also started working on NORCAL stuff for Carson City in a few weeks. Put in my vacation request for Friday May 3rd.
    George I was going to say tag should always be up when putting a motor in the car, but euro and open motors do not have tags lol
    James Grinstead

TEAM KOFORD

Why so serious?

got the es 1/24 Dubick back together after quite a bit of straightening and replacing the spine. going to stop by club today after work . working close will put Dubick on the track and see how she goes. Now the Horky needs to go through the same treatment. the Garden State Isra Race is less then a week away so as always a lot to get done between today and Saturday morning. Scr How'ed Carson City Go?
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    got the es 1/24 Dubick back together after quite a bit of straightening and replacing the spine. going to stop by club today after work . working close will put Dubick on the track and see how she goes. Now the Horky needs to go through the same treatment. the Garden State Isra Race is less then a week away so as always a lot to get done between today and Saturday morning. Scr How'ed Carson City Go?
    Mic, that's excellent to hear you are into taking those complicated chassis apart. The Horky is next, go for it! I tore down my 2012 when I got home from The Nats, but I am not completely satisfied with it even though I haven't tested it! So, I will tear it apart again and recheck (not Recek?) it.

Carson City is this weekend. I have the GT12s ready and just need to straighten and reassemble two more flexis. Trying out new motors per your formula!!! They do sound awesome on the analyzer.

I am also looking at some past issues of the BSCRA journal trying to get info on stack length for 1/32 ES racing. From what I can gather, a lot of racers are still using the nominal .300"L stacks like I have always raced. I was thinking a lot of guys are using .250"L stacks, but maybe I'm wrong. I also need to find out what Gugu and Alex were running at the Nats, whatever it was, it was very good.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Hi George,

I prefer the 300 stack motors, ideally a PK 25/25-, which generally has all the horsepower I need. Very occasionally I go for a 23/25 PK 300, or a Valiko 22/25 if I need a bit more on a big track, which we dont have many of! I have used 480, 485, and 490 dia, but have reverted back to 480 most of the time. Matti Fyhr, uses (or did last time I saw him racing) a 250 stack motor in 1.32 Euro, which I think was 22/25 or 23/25, in a Lundberg set up, with reasonably tall mags (440 ish). At the Worlds in the UK he was miles faster than the rest of us!! A few good racers over here use .250 as well, and from my experience they seem a little more brakey and peaky. Excellent if you are very accurate with the trigger, which I'm not!! The BSCRA Nats is on this weekend, so should be some more data flying about after the Euro event on Monday.

Tested the Dubick after its rebuild and I was very pleased running 4.0's on purple . Ran the track nice and flat was a little concerned that the motor seemed a little flat but after testing was done figured out I was running only on battery's DAH forgot to plug in power supply .
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Tested the Dubick after its rebuild and I was very pleased running 4.0's on purple . Ran the track nice and flat was a little concerned that the motor seemed a little flat but after testing was done figured out I was running only on battery's DAH forgot to plug in power supply .
    Sounds like the chassis came out well. Rebuilds are tedious and painstaking, but well worth the effort. A former Fastrax customer gave me a Hakko 455 on Sunday. I called Hakko to order a new tip and tube as it needed it. The iron is discontinued but is supposed to be a good unit. I want to try it when I get the new parts and rebuild my 2010 Horky. I also need to get some good desoldering wick to help with chassis rebuilds.

Quote Originally Posted by BSlotcar.com View Post
    Hi George,

I prefer the 300 stack motors, ideally a PK 25/25-, which generally has all the horsepower I need. Very occasionally I go for a 23/25 PK 300, or a Valiko 22/25 if I need a bit more on a big track, which we dont have many of! I have used 480, 485, and 490 dia, but have reverted back to 480 most of the time. Matti Fyhr, uses (or did last time I saw him racing) a 250 stack motor in 1.32 Euro, which I think was 22/25 or 23/25, in a Lundberg set up, with reasonably tall mags (440 ish). At the Worlds in the UK he was miles faster than the rest of us!! A few good racers over here use .250 as well, and from my experience they seem a little more brakey and peaky. Excellent if you are very accurate with the trigger, which I'm not!! The BSCRA Nats is on this weekend, so should be some more data flying about after the Euro event on Monday.
    Thanks for that info B, I suspected the regular long stack may still be the ticket. I am going to try a few "true" .250" stack arms soon. The ones Matti use are called ".250" but that is the nominal measurement. The actual stack length is only .220" on those PKs. Hey, we missed you at the Nats! You and Radisch could have had some more good scraps like in 2009!!!

Having breakfast at IHOP on US 395 in Carson City following a successful event at Carson Slot Car Raceway yesterday. I really enjoyed being at this facility. Track owner John is one of the most easy going guys and clearly knows how to make his customers happy. The Norcal turnout was a bit light somewhere in the 70s, but that was not unexpected due to the considerable drive over the Sierra Nevada mountain range. There were some puter glitches, but our resident puter guru from Down Under, Bluey, was there to save the day.

John has two nice tracks. His Hillclimb looks like one of the better designs I have seen in quite a while although I am partial to flatter tracks. The roadcourse is an 85' gem. Very challenging design especially on black. Very intricate succession of little bends and short chutes requiring quick trigger action. I ended up grinding motor shafts and using 6T pinions in both classes. Ended up 3rd in LMP behind local Pros Don Raeburn and Jason Hooper, and then 2nd behind Don and one ahead of Jason.

OK, food is here

Got home around Noon and found a box had arrived. Opened it and discovered I have some work ahead of me. Beginning work on cobalt multi mag set ups for the first time. I've done plenty of singles, but somehow multis have seemed mysterious. With a little research and the help of Josh Bauer's thread, it doesn't look so bad. Just glue the bits together and then it's the same as gluing singles. Had some half pipes fabricated by a guy who makes an awesome donut coring tool. These are made to a much smaller radius than what Josh uses for his open set ups as they are going to be scale set ups.

I'm going to try a slightly different method though as I was told to oil the pipes (hmmm, maybe spray some PAM on there!) and glue the bits together with watered down K glue being sure the ends of the bits are hanging over the edge a little to help with prying it off in case the glue sticks to the steel at all. This will be a new adventure for me and looks like it'll be fun.

Oh, I should add a correction to the track owner's name in Carson City, NV as I did not think to check some earlier NORCAL emails. His name is John Shallow. He's been running the raceway for five years.
    Last edited by Slotcar Racer; 05-05-2013 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Added name correction

When I do my multi mag motors I use skinners to glue the segments together. I like doing that so I know nothing will move when doing my final gluing. But it looks like you are going to have some fun.
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

Have fun George. Multi mags are the funnest motors to build. You are doing it pretty much exactly the way I do it. Ive had Good results.
    "Dub" Wade
    Nampa, ID
    208-392-0639
    dustynwade@ymail.com
    Dub Motors, Dub Rides, Dub Winged bodies, PMP Chassis, Paint by Odie, Bone Bodies.
    Of course Balance by Beuf
    3rd Eye Controllers

well 2 weeks off since last race time to get it in gear and start some building have some new motors to do and some 12 segment euro motors to do and a Dubick rebuild. after working on 4 of these euro chassis as much as i like them I've found that they are all a little different as far as the original build goes the Horkys seem to be a better factory build then the Dubicks with that said a little work on the Dubicks and they are every bit as good as a Horky or Castricone . Our 3 day Bash at the Beach race is a couple of weeks away and as usual I've got a bunch of work to get done.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

well 2 weeks off since last race time to get it in gear and start some building have some new motors to do and some 12 segment euro motors to do and a Dubick rebuild. after working on 4 of these euro chassis as much as i like them I've found that they are all a little different as far as the original build goes the Horkys seem to be a better factory build then the Dubicks with that said a little work on the Dubicks and they are every bit as good as a Horky or Castricone . Our 3 day Bash at the Beach race is a couple of weeks away and as usual I've got a bunch of work to get done.
    Your comments on the eurosport chassis are interesting. Jaroslav Recek builds the Horky chassis and does the best work I've ever seen. That said, I do not have any experience with the Dubick, but I did put together a Micek chassis a few weeks ago. I was struck by the simplicity of the design of the Micek. The rear cross bar did not connect up with the central elements as much as Horky or Castricone, both of which I am really familiar with. I'd rather spend the extra money on the Horky than save $50 on something that would turn out to be an experiment. The Horky has been working well for me for the past few years. Anyway, I saw your Bash at the Beach, looks like a great program. We only have one more race until The Flat Track Worlds, and that is to finish up the NORCAL series in Modesto in a few weeks. I believe I can pretty much hook up my controller and take a lap, then pull off and watch and still win both flat track championships. My worst finish for the whole season was a 4th place at Frank's....go figure, my "home" track. The rest of the year has been all podiums. I do want to play around with 6 tooth pinions again on the Korkscrew because it is such a short track. However, it is such a momentum track that I may need a taller gear that the 7 tooth provides. What the heck, I will even revisit the 8 tooth pinion. The track opens at 8am and they don't get to the flat track racing until around 3:30 or so. There's lots of time to play with different gearing.

Have a good bash at the beach Mic, I should have a good bash in Modesto myself!!

Hi guys
    Not been on here for a while. Interested in your comments on PK arms. The new ones have now arrived in the UK and are great.

Dan Miller is kindly doing a series of articles exclusively for Slot Car Racing News showing how he manufactures his arms. The first one is with me now and gives us the full storey on his recent problems and the remachining he has had to invest in. This will be featured in the June Issue.

Where's my favorite DUDE been this month?

Calling all cars, be on the lookout for " Slotcar Racer"!