Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

I think I'd run the 64p back there regardless of ratio. We will have a room full of hot grumpy people and the Korkscrew will be brutal. Should be 109 Saturday afternoon!!! JMO

64 Pitch with a brass spur gear is good insurance in a rough race.
    I started running plastic 72 pitch last season, but I think it`s a gamble.

Lots of raceways don't allow brass gears anymore because of the potential damage to the track especially on a flat track with their lower ground clearances.

Besides, plastic gears are faster...

plastic pinions are bitchin ! nuke'

Quote Originally Posted by wjdougherty View Post
    Lots of raceways don't allow brass gears anymore because of the potential damage to the track especially on a flat track with their lower ground clearances.

Besides, plastic gears are faster...
    I ran a brass spur gear on one car in 7 flat track races last season and I won all 7 races.

I`ve heard people say the plastic gears are faster. What makes them faster?

How can the brass gears damage the track if they don`t hang below the chassis?

Not trying to argue with you, just want to know.

quicker is better than unobtainum (spit) !!!

Mike,

My comments weren't meant to stir the pot either.

From my experience, your raceway must conduct a closer tech than some. Lots of raceways may not check for gears hanging below the chassis because they are attracting a different clientele than flat track racers (FTRs). On our Gerding King we measure the clearance under the lowest part between the tires, be that chassis or gear. FTRs should be experienced enough to know how to set up their cars to avoid the gear hanging down and damaging the track surface.

As for plastic gears, they mesh smoother, thereby reducing friction and drag, 2 things that will slow slotcars. This is true across the spectrum particularly in wing cars and low end FK motored cars. Lastly, when a metal spur goes bad it often chews up the pinion as well. That will never happen with plastic.

Just from my vantage point...

Wow, I haven't run brass spurs since before 2000 when I closed my raceway! One thing I remember about brass gears is you can set them and get a really nice gear mesh, however once you take the motor and gears out of the car (to rebuild the motor) then it is virtually impossible to reuse the spur. The brass wears in to a unique angle and to change it doesn't work well. Plastic gears are not as prone to this problem. I have reused Cahoza spurs over and over again for a number of races, even in the rough and tumble of NORCAL (not for the "faint of heart"). Mike has written about his preference for brass spurs and I respect his choice. Like I said, all during the 90s that's all I ran and they worked great. I remember those Faas spurs...man, those were awesome. Also, the 80 pitch Sonic Tri Lites were a very fine product. We ran those in both Group 12 classes and in 1/24 Eurosport! 9:48, that was the number.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Those trilites were great. When we first saw the 80dp plastic gears, we thought 'that will never work', the teeth are too small. How wrong can you get!!!! I'm not sure when the 8 came out, but clearly remember first seeing the 1.5mm 7t pinions being at the Helsinki ISRA worlds in 2000. 'Grind the shaft down?' we said' That will never take off' Oh how hindsight is helpful.

Thanks B, I was wondering when that happened. I closed my raceway on June 22, 2000 when we were still using Sonic 9:48, started my optical career which took a couple of years, then came back to slot cars around 2002, and that was only running in a series where we raced refurbished 60s cars purchased on eBay. That was Cox and Weldun gears. Herman talked me into preparing for the 2006 Nats in Fall of 2005 and by then we had 6 tooth 80 pitch on 1.5mm shaft.! I really missed a lot of development between 2000-2005.....I guess I should thank you and the rest of the scale racers for doing all that work!!!

Don't thank me, I just sold them!!! I remember running 6/36 on a X12 1/32 Saloon car the first time and being very impressed. It was the begining of understanding the gyroscopic effect of spinning the motor hard to create grip in the chassis. It also made the power deliver much smoother. If anyone can get the motors to spin even more, then the next thing will be the 5t pinion. That will be fun! I read earlier in this thread about gear ratios. What seems to be over looked quite often is that the rear wheel diameter needs to be taken in account. 6/36 on the face of it is the same as 8/48. In reality, the 16mm 48t gear means the final drive of this as opposed to the 15mm 36t (assuming both are level with the bottom of the chassis) is higher. The bigger gears are good for UK racing where the can in the Production (Flexi) classes is not allowed to be notched.

I must get back to tyres for the weekend, have a good one.

Yesterday the NORCAL organization raced its last event of the nine month series at TNT Raceway, Modesto, CA. With only 81 entries (yes, ONLY 81) it was an anticlimactic finale to an otherwise, uh, exciting season. So today I pulled everything apart and here is the motor situation:

Time to send those armatures out for recon. Also, I plan to knock out all the can bearings and endbell bushings for replacement and zap the magnets. Basically clean everything up. The next race is in a month at Pacific Slot Car Raceways, Edgewood, WA.

At this point I am not sure of my plans for the NORCAL group next year. One racer I got to know during this last season mentioned yesterday that I didn't look particularly happy, nor did it appear I was enjoying myself. I thanked him for the candid feedback and he was absolutely right. It really made me pause and think of the past nine months of racing. Quite honestly, I didn't really enjoy it that much. If my lower back was in better shape, I'd say going out to play some golf would be more fun.

It could be that I need to either organize some regular eurosport racing in the Bay Area, or drive down to Yorba Linda to become a Cave Dweller....hang out with all the neanderthals like Mike Who?, Duran, Hermanator, etc. I can see becoming a eurosport racing knuckle dragger. Could be good.

Are you refurbing those motors for the entire NORCAL group??!!! ;-)

George, sure hope you can make your way to the Cave sometime. Hope your back gets better soon. Really enjoy this thread of yours too!!

You can't stop racing NORCAL, George.... You'd miss us. :-) Besides, remember, next year we're going to split the Amateur/Advanced guys from the Expert/Pro's, and you promised to turn marshal for every heat of the Amateur/Advanced races. I'd hate for you to drive all that way to turn marshal and not race. :-)

Besides, who'd drive Herman to the races if you don't go?
    Michael Colvin