Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Yeah George---come on down to the Cave!!! I'll give you more "meat" for your grinder!! I love racing the flat track there--just will never drive it like Herman or YOU could!! It's a "hot spot" in SOCal for sure!!
    And bring your clubs--we could have a "golf day" to go along with the "race day"!! I've got a club card at Tiejeras Creek golf club ---and I'm sure Mike K plays golf too!! Another and we'll have a foursome---$50 green fees for a great course!!
    Tim

Part way through the C Can set up rebuilds. All the arms are out for reconditioning. I'm having all the stacks touched up to make sure they aren't square. With the set ups I am finding it to be a good idea to disassemble the endbells....perhaps do this more often. It's good to go over the endbell hardware with the yellow #80 grit polishing wheels, especially the insides of the brush hoods to really clean them. Then they go back together and realign the hoods. Zap the magnets. Pretty soon I'll have some nice cleaned up set ups. I'm setting aside about eight set ups for The Flat Track Worlds...these have endbell bearings not legal in either USRA or NORCAL. But my next two races - Flat Track Worlds and the ISRA Nats - both allow bearings.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

hhmm, endbell bearings are allowed in GTP and GT12 at Flats? Good to know.

Do you know if Aluminum endbells are legal as well?
    "Dub" Wade
    Nampa, ID
    208-392-0639
    dustynwade@ymail.com
    Dub Motors, Dub Rides, Dub Winged bodies, PMP Chassis, Paint by Odie, Bone Bodies.
    Of course Balance by Beuf
    3rd Eye Controllers

Better double check that....it looks like JRL is the only c-can that allows endbell bearings and aluminum endbells.
    Last edited by Ingram; 06-16-2013 at 03:26 PM.
    Alan Ingram

Alan is right..... just went through the rules and group 10 and GT12 states the can bushing can be replaced with a bearing, but nothing about the end bell.. I read it as plastic end bell with bushing.....JRL states after market end bell, aluminum with bearing.....
    Jim Dalton
    Bone Bodies

ISCC
    Dub Motors
    PMP Chassis
    3rd Eye controllers
    jd102454@yahoo.com

Ah hah! It's true, no bearings in endbells at The Flats except for JRL. I guess I got confused with the ISRA rules...the race in September. Endbell bushings have been going bad for a lot of racers lately. Maybe a bad batch of bushings out there right now...

THE FLAT TRACK WORLDS:

Group 10

Motors:

Any production Group 10 C-Can motor is allowed.
    Armature must be a tagged Challenger, Contender, S16C, SWasp or Sportsman.
    All armatures must have a minimum stack length of .440”.
    Armature must have a minimum diameter of .510”.Armature may be reconditioned.
    Any manufacturer's armatures or magnets may be interchanged with any manufacturer's set-ups.
    Magnet clips are not required.
    Shunt wires and insulation is allowed.
    Magnets may be glued and honed.
    Can bushing may be replaced with a ball bearing.
    Motor may be soldered into the chassis.

1/24 JRL Indy

Motors:

Any C-can based motor with any single piece, full height and length ceramic C-Can magnet.
    Any commercially available Superwasp, Stinger, Hornet, Sportsman, Contender, Challenger, or Competitor armature
    Superwasp, Stinger and Hornet armatures must have a minimum diameter of .510”, have a stack length of .350” and be wound with 60 turns of 30 gauge wire.
    There is no limit to maximum armature diameter.
    Sportsman, Contender, Challenger and Competitor armatures must have a minimum diameter of .510”, have a stack length of .440” and be wound with 55 turns of 30 gauge wire.
    Aftermarket aluminum endbells are legal.
    Can and endbell ball bearings are legal.
    May epoxy or super glue magnets in place.
    May interchange manufacturer parts.
    May notch cans and/or magnet for axle clearance.

Armature may be reconditioned.
    Shunt wires and insulation is allowed.
    Motor may be soldered into the chassis.

GT-12

Motors:

Any C-Can Group 12 motor is allowed.
    Armature must be tagged as a G-12 and have a minimum diameter of .510".
    Any manufacturer's armatures or magnets may be interchanged with any manufacturer's set-ups.
    No International 15 magnets allowed.
    Shunt wires and insulation allowed.
    Can bushing may be replaced with a ball bearing.
    Motors may be soldered into chassis.

ISRA NATIONALS

B-production: 3 minute heats

Motor:
    Any C-can based motor with any single piece, full height and length ceramic C-Can magnet.
    Any commercially available Superwasp, Stinger, Hornet, Sportsman, Contender, Challenger, or Competitor
    armature
    Superwasp, Stinger and Hornet armatures must have a minimum diameter of .510”, have a stack length of .350”
    and be wound with 60 turns of 30 gauge wire. There is no limit to maximum armature diameter.
    Sportsman, Contender, Challenger and Competitor armatures must have a minimum diameter of .510”, have a
    stack length of .440” and be wound with 55 turns of 30 gauge wire. There is no limit to maximum armature
    diameter.
    Armature may not deviate from the manufacturers intended shape.
    Aftermarket aluminum endbells are legal.
    Can and endbell ball bearings are legal.
    Shunt wire and spring insulation is legal.
    May epoxy or super glue magnets in place.
    May interchange manufacturer parts.
    May notch cans and/or magnet for axle clearance.
    May drill 1 small hole per side to ease magnet installation.

ISRA Group 10 is a 16D motor (no endbell bearing), so I will steer well clear of that stuff
    Last edited by Slotcar Racer; 06-16-2013 at 05:09 PM.

Our Rules (AMCA) are generally more in sync with USRA rules (albeit much simpler) without a clearance rule or body height rule (except in 1/32 Eurosport where we have adopted ISRA/USRA rules).

AMCA Rules
    Jim Radford
    Pacific Slot Car Raceways
    http://www.shoppscr.com
    Visit us on Facebook
    (253) 446-5039
    Host site of the 2014 & 2016 DIV II USRA Nationals

Good luck George, really wish I could be there but not in the cards again this year. New/old business getting off the ground and a daughter getting married in September pretty much rules out any hobby activities till next year. PSCR is one of my favorite places.

Hope you get NORCAL sorted out, have they considered splitting it into 2 days ? Definitely long days, especially if you race Nascar and GT12.
    Alan Ingram

Quote Originally Posted by Ingram View Post
    Good luck George, really wish I could be there but not in the cards again this year. New/old business getting off the ground and a daughter getting married in September pretty much rules out any hobby activities till next year. PSCR is one of my favorite places.

Hope you get NORCAL sorted out, have they considered splitting it into 2 days ? Definitely long days, especially if you race Nascar and GT12.
    I am thinking of building a NASCAR and a Truck and not race the flat track. Kind of thinking of keeping the cost low by purchasing a Parma 501 for each class, just one motor for NASCAR and one for Truck. That keeps the expense of running 16D motors to a minimum and keeps expectations very low. The idea would be to go and have fun, then be home before dinner. The rest of them can continue into the late evening while I am at home watching Formula One qualifying or Nationwide series. Go to bed at 9:00 as usual and I'll be a happy camper.

Stay tuned for some ideas I am formulating for getting more eurosport racing going in Northern California. I'll be contacting the usual suspects to see if we can set some dates and get something good going.

You know you can always borrow a 16D motor from us, George. :-) The last time you did, you spanked Justin with his own motor!
    Michael Colvin

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    I am thinking of building a NASCAR and a Truck and not race the flat track. Kind of thinking of keeping the cost low by purchasing a Parma 501 for each class, just one motor for NASCAR and one for Truck. That keeps the expense of running 16D motors to a minimum and keeps expectations very low. The idea would be to go and have fun, then be home before dinner. The rest of them can continue into the late evening while I am at home watching Formula One qualifying or Nationwide series. Go to bed at 9:00 as usual and I'll be a happy camper.

Stay tuned for some ideas I am formulating for getting more eurosport racing going in Northern California. I'll be contacting the usual suspects to see if we can set some dates and get something good going.
    Wow...

Or... you could always just show up and crash kids birthday parties. That way you wouldn't even need your own car.
    Bring your Speed Racer jammies, just in case the party goes too late. Maybe there will be a sleep over, or you can watch Sesame Street at Uncle Frank's place...

I'm pretty sure that you'll find plenty of Eurosport competition at The Flats... but maybe Jim could keep one of the TV's on PBS or the History Channel, just in case... to make sure you don't get bored or fall asleep...

Hopefully you can rustle up some more Eurosport action in NorCal, without having to recruit new blood from the birthday parties and wait for them to get up to speed.
    Maybe you can switch to Falcon motors in Eurosports... that might get some of the old farts to show up and race... LOL

(I do hope everyone realizes I am being sarcastic)

Geez... what is becoming of this darned hobby???

Paul K @ OWH
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Next thing you know, George will want to race FCR's. :-P
    Michael Colvin

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post

Or you could race trucks and LMP, that way you could get there late, still leave at a reasonable time and get to race both tracks .

I do like your thinking, find a way to stay involved and supplement with euro's. Also, I am guessing that even with 501 power you would be competetive
    Alan Ingram

George, it would be great to have you running cars/trucks with us...but looking at the pile of c-cans you were refurbishing, and knowing how competitive you are, I have to doubt that you are going to buy a couple of 501's and leave it at that! I sorta miss the low-stress style of racing we had with the vintage stuff, too, but Norcal is a very good series and I am sure you can find a way to make it more fun. Consider spanking Justin occasionally!! That's a goal for all of us.

I am not into the late night stuff followed by a long drive home either so I get that...I just won't do it any more...but the current format is perfect for me, and it pulls in a lot of racers. The real challenge will come if we actually succeed at recruiting more locals; there are some really good competitors at each of the tracks, and there just aren't enough hours in the day!

Guys, I'm really sorry but fxgeorge got a hold of my password. Paul, I am going to change it at lunch. He got loose and started creating havoc again.

evil

I was in the slot room building two Super 16C motors for The Flat Track Worlds and when I thought I heard the keyboard in the office, I should have acted. He got out of the woodshed somehow. Anyway, it won't happen any more, I put a blind fold on him and locked him in the basement for a few months, hopefully he won't escape and cause any more problems. Disregard his stupid ramblings.

The Super 16C motors are with Cahoza "O" can and I've been trying Mic's SMQ magnet idea. It worked really well in Contenders, so I used a few of those set ups and had some 16C arms from last year's Flats.

Also did a complete rebuild of my 1/32 ES motor including a new coat of crinkle paint. OK, better get to work now.