Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Is he friends with Edward Snowden?

Koford sells longer box stock c can mags that run very well with s16c. The smq mags are kinda weak imo..

Quote Originally Posted by EdC View Post
    Is he friends with Edward Snowden?
    No, he doesn't even know who Little Eddie is. We don't let him out much, he's sort of the red headed step child of the family...we sort of try to keep his existence a secret.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Quote Originally Posted by gotboostedvr6 View Post
    Koford sells longer box stock c can mags that run very well with s16c. The smq mags are kinda weak imo..
    Yes, I ran the .500" long K mags at The Flats last year. The theory of the SMQ is to have a weaker magnet by design...the theory is stronger mags drag the rpm down. I've been trying the SMQ set ups and like them a lot.

here in the uk we use smq mags in our 1/32 gp12 classes and combined with a 510 arm they rev like hell! im using a ratio of 6/40 on the uk black used for the 08 worlds.

Why wouldn't a larger air gap be a better choice? The koford mags take heat better.

Everyone thinks SMQ"S are weaker .They are weaker in the center portion of the Magnet where the cut out is. the 2 half's have almost the same gauss readings as T-5's and the Kofords. The Smq's Need to be zapped more then others every 2 race's verses 3 .In my mind this is a fair trade off for the rpm increases when set up with the right air gap. I build these motors just for flat track racing . for high speed tracks in spray glue I think they would work well but they don't have enough torque for glue racing. I don't do wing cars anymore so its just my thoughts . If you want the right air gap for flat track racing build hone and test you will be surprised when you get it right.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

I think that fxgeorge guy logged me out of my computer and made me forget my password - I have remembered my goofy PW and am now back. SMQ's... I used to build many of these (pre .540 days) and race them in GT-12 on a hillclimb. Our track had a power supply, so I am not sure if that had anything to do with it, but you could drop a tooth from what ever pinion "everybody" else was using and the motors would FLY! Thinking a little bit more about the SMQ's - they seemed to work really well in Rock-o-lin too - FWIW
    Bert
    Asking all things relevant-

that's true,Mic, about weaker in the center, but with multi mags and the new radial mags, isn't the point to focus the flux field to the center of the arm on the horizontal axsis. If this is true the smq mags are doing the opposite. or trying to do the same thing in a time before radial
    IDAHO SCC
    dub motors
    herminator tires
    PMP chassis
    Redfox
    BBB

Quote Originally Posted by Berteinstein View Post
    I think that fxgeorge guy logged me out of my computer and made me forget my password - I have remembered my goofy PW and am now back. SMQ's... I used to build many of these (pre .540 days) and race them in GT-12 on a hillclimb. Our track had a power supply, so I am not sure if that had anything to do with it, but you could drop a tooth from what ever pinion "everybody" else was using and the motors would FLY! Thinking a little bit more about the SMQ's - they seemed to work really well in Rock-o-lin too - FWIW
    Bert
    Bert, change the locks on your house and also warn Sarge about him....fx is a real menace. Sarge will blast him with his 50 caliber though, so fx should be careful when approaching his fox hole. All right racers, MOVE OUT!

With C Can set ups I am slowly learning that there's just no way around it, you have to try different stuff and observe what happens. You're on to something when you mention running on power supplies, Bert. I have noticed some set ups and certain arms with certain timing work well on low power. On the NORCAL circuit, some circuits have more power than others, so you have to circulate between motors until you find something that works best. Obviously at Modesto where you made 51 circuits on one lane, you found the right combo. The power went on and you heard MOVE OUT!

Gauss isn't a great indicator of a magnets power. Have you ever gauss'd a proslot puppydog setup? You will be surprised at the readings.
    Also the reading your getting at the tips on a smq is artificially high due to the shape of the magnet.

IMO using magnets with an inferior compound is a real inefficient way to gain rpm.

my 2c

Quote Originally Posted by gotboostedvr6 View Post
    Gauss isn't a great indicator of a magnets power. Have you ever gauss'd a proslot puppydog setup? You will be surprised at the readings.
    Also the reading your getting at the tips on a smq is artificially high due to the shape of the magnet.

IMO using magnets with an inferior compound is a real inefficient way to gain rpm.

my 2c
    Don't know why they work don't care either just know they do . Don't use them or try them makes no difference to me. But when someone who does use them runs by you in a race you will get it then. Ask Lee Gilbert why mystery mags work in a euro motor.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

I've had real fast motors with SMQs before. The main problem I've found is they loose there brakes with only a few wrecks or when they get a little warm. Which at least down here raceways tend to be on the warmer side. Its just plain hot down here. That's on banked style tracks though.
    KellyRacing

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    Don't know why they work don't care either just know they do . Don't use them or try them makes no difference to me. But when someone who does use them runs by you in a race you will get it then.
    Ditto. Use em if you want. Otherwise, use something else. Opinions don't really matter, like Mic said, the bottom line is how it runs.

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z. View Post
    I've had real fast motors with SMQs before. The main problem I've found is they loose there brakes with only a few wrecks or when they get a little warm. Which at least down here raceways tend to be on the warmer side. Its just plain hot down here. That's on banked style tracks though.
    Dan Your right they do lose brake after a while my 12 motor has 3 races on it and a bunch of practice laps and it is in need of a rebuild . Never tried them on a bigger track just run flat tracks and that's what I build for .
    Last edited by Mic Byrd; 06-20-2013 at 02:59 PM.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com