Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

My two best pre .540 motors were FastOnes with SMQ's. Mic is correct about them needing frequent rebuilds, 1-2 races on the MA Monster was all they could take. They were revving monsters for sure, but the brakes were the 1st thing to go. That being said, they are not a match to the large .540 motors with the right airgap that are the current rage.

Quote Originally Posted by KVAN View Post
    That being said, they are not a match to the large .540 motors with the right airgap that are the current rage.
    Kevin
    I build with .540 Dia arms at the Usra Nats I was running away from the Am GT-12 guys until a certain chicago racer took me out for the 12th time and broke my gear.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    Kevin
    I build with .540 Dia arms at the Usra Nats I was running away from the Am GT-12 guys until a certain chicago racer took me out for the 12th time and broke my gear.
    That sucks.

Another case where a metal spur gear might have been the better choice?

Had a fairly productive weekend including a fun race at Slot Car Raceway, Rohnert Park, Calif, site of the 2013 20th Anniversary Race. I decided to just prepare for GT12 as there is too much work in preparation for the upcoming Flat Track Worlds...only two weeks away now. The GT12 race was, at times, really frustrating and at other times very exhilerating. The first half of the race my car was "the fly"....let's see how many people can swat it. All the swats were accidental, of course, but the first one was really bad. Body was mashed and tucked in the rear by both rear tires, front of the body was flattened. Never seen it this bad. Luckily the gear was not involved so I didn't have to worry about not using a metal gear, and that meant no holes in the body. It amazingly all went back into shape, a testament to the Outisight Bent Lee body. The car was fine after that, but on blue my braid was out of adjustment just enough that the car was incredibly erratic....I ran way too many laps that way, but when I finally stopped and just pulled the braid down a bit, then the car was fine again. Lesson learned...if it seems the braid is out of adjustment, just stop the car and fix it, might lose one lap. By the time I was done with blue, I heard someone saying I was 32 laps behind and pretty much out of contention. But then on the rest of the lanes, I ran no slower than 3.8s. Purple, black and yellow were all 3.7s with fast time of the race a 3.6 on purple. By orange I was only about 9 behind the leader. He was on red and I only managed to get back six more, so ended 3 laps down as the car had become The Fly again on orange. Really fun race, I somehow enjoy returning from the dead and running back.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    Kevin
    Hey Mic, that really sucks! Someone I know?

Maybe one of these days I'll get to try one of your motors and I'll give him the spanking he justly deserves.

Kev,
    Mic builds top notch rockets w/o any bull
    His stuff is always 1st class!
    Been a member since the beginning , will be
    Forever , it's worth whatever the price might be ...
    Jay Rogers
    Mic Byrd .....PowerPlants!!!!
    GARDEN STATE ISRA
    CRUSH GRAPHIXS...custom numbers and paint masks... just ask
    Balance By Bill Bugenis !!!!
    www.TheISraUsa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerzey JayRo View Post
    Kev,
    Mic builds top notch rockets w/o any bull
    His stuff is always 1st class!
    Been a member since the beginning , will be
    Forever , it's worth whatever the price might be ...
    Hey Jay, that's what I've heard. Maybe you can put in a good word for me, I've already asked.

Yesterday the mailbox runneth over with new goodies including some new Camen set ups and some PK armatures just in time for The Flat Track Worlds at Pacific Slot Car Raceways, Edgewood, Washington, site of the 2014 USRA Scale Nationals. Now that I have the PK arms, I can glue in magnets in new experimental eurosport set ups....waiting for the arms to verify magnet placement. Didn't want to rush the gluing, I'll do that this evening. But last night I was able to finish rebuilding a Saunders 2010 GT12 which had a busted center section. Things are moving along nicely with various projects all aiming for the race in Seattle.

Please tell us more about the new PK arms.
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

Zipp, they aren't even out of the plastic bag yet! Just told Dan I was going to put the 18t24.5 into my trusty Voki 10 mag after I hone it out to .500". I hope to take some laps with it this weekend and will post some lap times. That set up used to have an aluminum comm Valiko 18t24.5 in it, but the comm finally got too small. There's a dozen arms to try, but not enough time to test them all. That'll have to wait for the ISRA Nats.

Oops! sorry George

I had assumed that you were talking about X-12 arms
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

Since the hot topic is Flats coming up very soon.
    I have built a couple motors that are very experimental.

1st, my 1/32 motor is a super short can with short screw hole tabs. Camen kit. Camen .250 x .400 mags. Using a Koford ultra short arm. .240L stacks. A wing I have been contemplating experimenting with for some time now, I finally ordered it. (Arms can get expensive for just experimenting) It is .470 Diam. with 19T27 Winds. Balanced by Beuf of course. The motor didnt initially go together well, but with some manipulating it working well. It runs very good on my track. OH, and I am experimenting with Horozontal brush hoods on this

Next I built 2 similar but different 1/24 experimental motors.
    #2 Motor is a Camen short can .590 I.D. with .250L x .400T Camen Mags. The can is not as short as the 1/32 can, but close. It has an experimental Koford arm. .240L Stacks .470 Diam. 17T26. On the power supply it sounds very smooth, but a little on the soft side. Vertical cahoza hoods. Hasnt been on the track yet. Weight of 10.7 Grams.

My goal for my primary motor was to be below 10 grams. I hit 9.8 with no pinion.
    It is as short as the 1/32 motor but instead of the .590 I.D. I used .570 I.D. Can and Camen .250L x .400T Camen singles. It went together well with a custom .240L .470 Diam 16T27 Arm.
    This was also the highest revving motor I have built in awhile. Vertical Cahoza hoods.

My Idea behind the wind selection is;
    Common arms are 18t24.5, 19t25, 22t25 etc. Not only am I using less wire (which weighs less) but I am using thinner wire (which weighs way less). Perhaps the motors wont have the grunt of an 84.5 but the entire motor probably weighs less than an 84.5 arm. If it is slightly less speed (which I have no clue about yet) but weights less, it might be quick and most importantly very easy to drive.

What are your thoughts SCR? Mic? Lee? Whoever else reads this.
    My test results will come from how they run at FLats.
    "Dub" Wade
    Nampa, ID
    208-392-0639
    dustynwade@ymail.com
    Dub Motors, Dub Rides, Dub Winged bodies, PMP Chassis, Paint by Odie, Bone Bodies.
    Of course Balance by Beuf
    3rd Eye Controllers

Quote Originally Posted by "Dub" Wade View Post
    My test results will come from how they run at Flats.
    Probably best to just leave it at that because results speak more than words!

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Probably best to just leave it at that because results speak more than words!
    Very true. Hopefully I can race them to their potential.
    "Dub" Wade
    Nampa, ID
    208-392-0639
    dustynwade@ymail.com
    Dub Motors, Dub Rides, Dub Winged bodies, PMP Chassis, Paint by Odie, Bone Bodies.
    Of course Balance by Beuf
    3rd Eye Controllers

Quote Originally Posted by "Dub" Wade View Post
    Very true. Hopefully I can race them to their potential.
    Dub
    I'm still just getting into euros and building some .480 and .500 motors . Yours sound very interesting can't wait to hear the results . I was trying to be at the flats but work is just to busy right now to get away .
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com