Here ya go...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Slotcar Racer,
    Quick question regarding the Cahoza carbon fiber rims. What do you mean by burning the donuts off the rim?
    The Race Place raceplaceinfo.com
    Bowskateer founding member #3
    Get a 3rd EYE Fetroller 2.1
    Balanced by Bill

[IMG]loupes[/IMG]

We'll get ya a photo Pat....does Locutis of Borg mean anything to you?
    Jeff, what I meant by "burning off the rubber" was putting them in lacquer thinner

Thanks Slatcar Race... I just mounted 6 pair last night and had a panic attack at the thought of hitting them with a torch to get the donuts off! LOL
    The Race Place raceplaceinfo.com
    Bowskateer founding member #3
    Get a 3rd EYE Fetroller 2.1
    Balanced by Bill

Slotcar Racer: Resistance is futile... your slot cars will be assimilated.

Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald

At home (back in the USA) I have a swing arm light with magnifier. Since my kitchen table is also my computer table and work table... space is at a premium (yup... it's a trailer). The light swings out of the way while using the computer. When I work on slot cars, the keyboard slides under a shelf with the monitor on it, and I set up my "Port-a-Pit" portable work station, and swing the magnifier light on over. I like how it works as a light AND when needed, a magnifier.

I found a wide variety of sizes & styles online... but this one at Amazon.com is very similar to the one I have at home:
    (BTW - since I'm an Amazon.com affiliate - by clicking on the link here, OWH gets a kickback if you buy something)

or... or here's one for the pits...

Yes... I also use the "Geezer Goggles" (or as I often call them... the Lee Gilbert look-alike kit) - mostly at the track. They are handy because they stay with me when I check my car between heats, or for emergency pit stops at the nearest buddy's pits, etc...

But for sitting at home, I usually prefer the swing arm lamp - mainly because it also provides much needed lighting as well as the magnifier.

I will now shut up and return you to Slotcar Racer....

PK

BTW - I do look forward to seeing a pic of "Slotcar Racer" decked out in his new "We are Borg" goggles!
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 03-22-2011 at 01:01 PM.
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald

Paul, this is Locutis, your magnifiers are futile. With a magnifier it does a great job of making things bigger for our "old eyes" but the problem I have always had is you have to bring your work very close to your face. The usual Lee Gilbert magnifier requires you to have about a 5" working distance. For me, I have run into neck problems because I move my head close to the work in combination with holding it close....I get a neck ache. The dental loupes are a combination TELESCOPE and magnifier. You can see it is 3.5X magnification, but the working distance is 420mm, roughly how far away you'd hold a book. Imagine shunting a motor at arm's distance and it is hugely magnified. You too can be The Borg.

If they help to do the job, then that's the main thing! I know the "Geezer Goggles" don't really magnify very much, you do have to get pretty close, and by wearing them, you definitely gain instant membership into the "Geezer" club.

(I have a great pic somewhere, of a bunch of us Geezers all together all decked out in Geezer Goggles... Lee Gilbert, Greg Gilbert, Fred Hood, & a couple others... possibly at the Div II Nats at SCR... can't find it right now)

Besides being a great work aid... Geezer or Borg Goggles should really be a fashion statement as well! Heck, wear them out to the local watering hole or diner after the races - I'm sure the chicks will dig them!

(especially if you show them a pic of you on the cover of Slot Car Racing News magazine!)
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald

while not as nice as your clipons, I have been using some of these for years on my glasses.... http://www.lifewithease.com/magniclips.html

at $12 they are a bargain compared to what you have!

My regular glasses have the "reading" distance set for computer distance, so for close up work I just add the clip ons for a little extra magnification.
    Gary Johnson

The clip ons are cool! What magnification do you use to work at arms length? Just have to figure out what glasses I would use......

Mike, I'll try to explain how this works again, I'm not sure it's catching on yet. When you wear a magnifier....whether it be a drug store pair of +1.50 readers or if it is a 7X magnifying visor, what the convex lenses are doing is to converge the image more. The higher the power, the more convergence. Plus one diopter is one meter. Two diopters is one half meter and so on. When you get to those really high powers like the magnifying visors (Lee, Fred, Greg and other geezers and geezers in training) such as 7xs, you are now converging the image to a distance of only about 5 inches. This is what is referred to as the "working distance". Gearbear mentioned his puter glasses.....those are generally +1.00 added to any distance prescription you may need....or if your distance vision is fine, but you are a geezer, then the over the counter +1.00s work great.....working distance is a meter.

The problem with high magnification and working with slot cars FOR ME is that the working distance is too small....my 7X visor and the 5" working distance is awful. I tend NOT to move the motor or whatever I am working on to my face, but I tend to crane my neck forward and really mess up my neck. What is needed is a device that gives you the magnification AND moves the working distance away. This is where the dental loupes come to the rescue. They are basically TELESCOPIC magnifiers. The pair I ordered moves the working distance to 420mm through the telescopic design and gives a 3.5X magnification. Not as much magnification as the old 7X grey plastic visor, but 3.5X is much more than just using your geezer eyes.

I plan to clip this loupe to a regular pair of my glasses with progressive lenses and will try to position the loupes more over the reading part of my progressive lenses to give more magnification. I'll have to play with that. In researching this, I found that you can buy dental loupes on glasses frames with no prescription.....these are loupes permanently mounted to a frame for those who do not need RX eyewear. They also make loupes permanently attached to eyeglass frames of ophthalmic quality so you can have your RX put in that frame. The company I found on Ebay sells this stuff pretty cheap, but as you can imagine, you can also spend thousands of dollars on one of these set ups. On the other hand, if you make your living doing crowns as a dentist, it gets paid off pretty fast, and it's a business expense. Better go, the salmon in teriyaki sauce is ready....

Got seven pairs of the Cahoza hubs cleaned up last night, then glued them and slathered glue in 14 donuts....all drying now and will slip em together tonight after getting home. Also reassembled one of the GT12s, it won't hurt to bring three to the Nats in a few weeks. Finally, I need to build another F1, got another new Camen motor, an ultrashort with 45T29. I may actually do this on Friday, kind of a long tedious job, particularly carving away at the endbell to get the entire motor to fit the Horky motor box. We have Friday off, a one day "Spring Break". Better than nothing. OK, on to tasks....

The donuts are glued on the carbon fiber hubs, left them in the garage to cure so wife doesn't complain about the lacquer thinner/fish rubber combination. Otherwise, I had an F1 motor to build, one of the new "Piero Spec" Camen motors, ultra ultra short set up with Camen .480 arm, 250" stacks. Joel's been really busy building these for customers, I think there will be a number of these competing with eachother at The Nats in a few weeks....Friday the 8th. This motor went together really nicely and I could tell it's going to be a real sweet one, it was really nice on the first crank on the analyzer....pulls about 2.75 amps at 3.25 volts, a 40t28 arm. Tonight will be the, uh, enjoyable task of squeezing this little mill into the Horky F1 chassis. This is one of the older chassis that has the big motor box and these motors just fit lengthwise into the motorbox, pretty cool. But, it does take A LOT of carving of the endbell. I've done a few already, so this one should be pretty easy. Uh oh, I hear voices outside my door (real voices this time) better go....

LONG LIVE THE UBER GEEZERZ!!!!!!!!!! MAy i join this club please?

George,

Your Valico 1/32 arm is on it's way to me. Let everyone know that a limited supply of Valico arms for the Scale Nats are available from the Speedshop.