Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Looks like you are finding more time to bulid and test
    Cant wait to hear the results
    Alan Ingram

Well raced Euros this past weekend at The Garden State Isra Club and it was the first time i had a chance to win in 1/24 but a tire change then 5 laps later a gear change put me well back next rece new axle and gear set up with tire change . Lesson Learned. Ran the Horky and it was just awesome. My final thoughts on the dubick 1/24 euro are this its a great chassis but it tweaks easily and then its a handful so mine will remain in use as a practice car and another Horky and maybe a castricone will be added to my euro stable.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Mic,

I typically have 2-3 tire/axle/gear setups ready to go for our Euro races. You can usually do a tire change in just a couple seconds that way. Just take the non gear side off, and slip out the axle, then slip the new one in and put the tire on. I punch a 2mm hole in the lid of my tire bottles for the setup and slip them in my pocket.

I use Speedshop tires and the Euro tires come with spacers built into the rims. So you have to size them correctly before the race. Makes for a VERY easy tire change! I've often wished I could do the same thing for the other cars!
    Gary Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Ingram View Post
    Looks like you are finding more time to bulid and test
    Cant wait to hear the results
    Im finding time for sure. I cant wait to get test results. They will either be terrible, or great. Or maybe need some fine tuning.

I was thinking mostly about weight and how to make an arm weigh less. I think I did that. But if it has horrible power, it dont matter. Will find out soon.

I did get a couple trusty GT12s ready and a GTP ready. I have been focusing most of my time on Euro motors though.
    "Dub" Wade
    Nampa, ID
    208-392-0639
    dustynwade@ymail.com
    Dub Motors, Dub Rides, Dub Winged bodies, PMP Chassis, Paint by Odie, Bone Bodies.
    Of course Balance by Beuf
    3rd Eye Controllers

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    Dub
    I'm still just getting into euros and building some .480 and .500 motors . Yours sound very interesting can't wait to hear the results . I was trying to be at the flats but work is just to busy right now to get away .
    Ive built quite a few of the standard euro style motors. Euro motors are fun to build. Just below Gp7 motors. Doing experiments is not easy though. If the experiment doesnt work, in my case the arm wind, thats a $90 paper weight.

I was hoping to get to meet you at flats. Hopefully you can make nats.
    "Dub" Wade
    Nampa, ID
    208-392-0639
    dustynwade@ymail.com
    Dub Motors, Dub Rides, Dub Winged bodies, PMP Chassis, Paint by Odie, Bone Bodies.
    Of course Balance by Beuf
    3rd Eye Controllers

I really wanted to make this race the best Nats warm up one would get . I am planning on the Nat's for sure hopefully a trip before also.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

On Sunday I ran out of needed parts for customer cars, so waiting for a box of parts to arrive. This gave me a chance to work on my own preparations for The Flats. Got all the new PK arms loaded into my small collection of set ups.
    Voki 18 Mag: 19/25
    Voki 10 Mag: 18t24.5
    Owl/Camen 20 Mag: 25t25.5
    Owl/Camen 12 Mag: 19t25
    Owl/Camen 12 Mag: 18t25
    Koford 16 Mag 20t25.5
    Koford 10 Mag 20t25.5
    Koford Single Mag 23t25

Trying the Koford set ups for the first time and one customer will be running a 10 mag in 1/32 ES at the race with a PK 23t25 in it. Should be a rocket....will probably bury me. It always happens if you build a car for others, then turn around and whip you with it. OK, I'm ready to take the punishment.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

I picked up one of these older FX chassis. Can anyone give me some tips on making it work, or is it just good as is. I removed the top plate of the front wheel struts and put a .032" spacer under the guide tongue to lower the front end. Lexan bullet proofing instead of a center piano wire pivot. Seems like the pans kind of rock up and down a lot, is it recommended to put some kind of stops on the pans? I know we have 3" of piano wire available to use on JRL chassis. Any input/photos appreciated

Why? Didn't Ron send you one of his new ones?

Kevin, Ron sent me the old chassis to try out and now I am finally getting around to it. He sent a new one to Ruzam last year as a new USRA submission. USRA already had the old chassis along with the other JRL pieces of iron. I think I figured out I need to put piano wire stops across the rear of the pans so they don't flop around like fish on the deck of a boat. A Good Samaritan in PA is emailing me some helpful photos of what he has found works.

SR,

The old one can be made to run fast, no question. The new one is likely better.

Greg

George, talk to Gary in Seattle.

He posted his setup ideas here on OWH a couple of years back
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

Just back from the almost 2 mile neighborhood walk with the beagles. Lots of cool wind this afternoon, I think the heat wave may be breaking. Worked since 7:30 this morning pedal to the meddle (sic) with getting the eurosport motors loaded up and the chassis assembled. My 1/24 euro body from last year's Flat Track Worlds is in good shape, so that will work as one body. So far I have mounted another Audi 10 on another Horky. Got two Horky 1/32 sports chassis put together, my 2009 and my 2012 along with getting Justin's 2008 Horky all ready. The 1/32 cars will have some new motors with .430T X .250L magnets, one a 10 mag the other a single. The 10 mag has a PK .250L stack 23/25 and the single is a PK .250L stack 25/25.5. They seem smooth on the analyzer, but of course the truth will be known once I put them on the Twister.

Now that the eurosport stuff is mostly done, I need to tackle the C Can classes next. Waiting for arms to come back from recon, they'll be here tomorrow. Then it's a matter of building a couple dozen motors. There might be a good motor or two out of all that, usually is. I better get back to the work bench.

After the walk I didn't get a whole lot done, but I did get my Group 10 ready. I guess that's a lot. Same motor as last year, not great but it's "OK". I disassembled my LMP chassis from the last NORCAL race, it was in pretty good shape considering it is an X25 with C11 thin pans. Pans just needed minor flattening. Got the motor mounted and then it was ready for a new body. I have last year's Red Fox Fighter body in almost new condition, but I also had an uncut Bent Lee body. Got it pinned before bed, so when I get home after WORK I will finish up the bullet proofing and get an interior installed.

The two dozen C Can arms are coming in from recon today, so this evening and over the weekend I can start putting together Contenders and G12s.

SCR
    Working hard as always I see you should have a few good motors out of the rebuild batch . I have 10 or so of mine on the desk that need complete rebuilds magnets out of most of them need to get them done by the Isra Nats.I haven't touched my stuff since the Bash at the Beach will maybe get started this weekend.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com