Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

CRASH CODGER and I met at Motown Raceway yesterday in Modesto, Calif. Not terribly hot in the valley yesterday. New owner Gene Braham met us at the NEW DOOR. Gene moved the entrance to the raceway to where the roll up door was (is)...installed a new wall with a nice door...it all has a really good feel to it. They moved the parts counter to where the old entrance was which makes a lot of sense. Gene has opened up the raceway into a more contiguous floor plan whereas it was kind of fractured before. Hindsight is 20/20 of course.

The plan for CODGER and myself was to put at least 300 laps on some new arms to get them broken in. I started with a new 39t29 F1 arm in my Richard Mack 1/32 F1 car. It worked incredibly well on The Korkscrew. I think these little cars could be a real blast on this little track. While I was turning 4.4s on green, CODGER was blasting around with his 1/24 Eurosport doing 3.0s. Took some time for the track to rubber in a little, but it got better and better.

My next test car was the 2012 Horky that I did not race in Seattle. This is the chassis I ran in New Jersey for 2nd at the Nats. In Seattle it was loose and just could not make a good connection with the track. When I got home I saw that the guide tongue was misaligned, so I fixed that. The chassis is better now. The motor is an 18 mag with a PK 19t25 arm dubbed The Orphan. With my trust FETroller, I had to use all 18' of wire choke and turn the electronic choke to 50% to make the car drivable on this postage stamp track. Managed to break into the 2.9s, and that was using an ISRA body. The best laps were when I used traction control (my finger) coming out of the lower finger, otherwise it would just spin the tires down the lower chute.

CODGER's iron was hot, so I pulled a motor out of a 1/32 Euro, a single mag with PK 25t25-1/2 with .250" stack length...put this in the 1/24 Euro. Yes, that was the answer for this track. Gotta go ultra mild to make any sense of it. Ran consistent 3.0s and 2.9s with fast time 2.96....12 feet of wire choke. CODGER was running 23t25 arms with the longer Audi R10 we used in Seattle. He hates the short R10. Then I ran out of tire and it was time to stop. Needed to get home to install a new kitchen faucet which, as it turned out, only took 25 minutes.

Cudos to Gene Braham and side kick Boxerdog for their great efforts in opening a new raceway in an old location. All the best to Gene.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

So yesterday was going thru some of the scr history and got inspired to do some thrashing on the bench...last night painted two parma dome bodies to test, have been running the jk bmw v-12 but i am thinking the dome might have some better handleing from the front fenders like the r.f. R-10... We shall see...also put together a couple lmp cars for testing.. Have been working on different pitch/gear ratios...trying some other gearing besides the 11-37 64 pitch and 12/13-42 72 pitch .... And my biggest thing was glued up and mounted six sets of donuts...that 3m glue is sticky..lol... I have to say useing the jk donut wizard made mounting them very very easy...tonight hopefully will get to cut and trim them all down and then maybe wedesday test them to see how well i glued them...
    "MAY THE FORCE BE IN THE FINGER"
    "Theres no banks in heaven,spend it all on slotcars"
    "WINGS ARE FOR FAIRIES- GTP RACING RULES"

I like the JK BMW much better than the Dome.
    The Dome is too stiff side to side, in my opinion.

Thank u. George we are trying to make it a place people want to go.

New Richard Mack Speed 12 chassis kit, in production but not quite here in the USA yet, and on the way to Jason Hooper's mailbox
    946297_4625772981309_2127185379_n
    Looks pretty much like the Mack Eurosport with C Can motor box
    1004004_4629649318215_1000521199_n
    And the front weight brackets are pretty intricate!
    1069960_4629651718275_1065771060_n
    More info at Richard's FACEBOOK area

Quote Originally Posted by stoneman View Post
    So yesterday was going thru some of the scr history and got inspired to do some thrashing on the bench...last night painted two parma dome bodies to test, have been running the jk bmw v-12 but i am thinking the dome might have some better handleing from the front fenders like the r.f. R-10... We shall see...also put together a couple lmp cars for testing.. Have been working on different pitch/gear ratios...trying some other gearing besides the 11-37 64 pitch and 12/13-42 72 pitch .... And my biggest thing was glued up and mounted six sets of donuts...that 3m glue is sticky..lol... I have to say useing the jk donut wizard made mounting them very very easy...tonight hopefully will get to cut and trim them all down and then maybe wedesday test them to see how well i glued them...
    Jason, you must have been reading the body testing before the 2012 Nats at SCR. As I recall, all the bodies could run roughly the same lap times but the car worked differently with each design. It can surely come down to individual preference. Good to see you're gluing donuts! If you do it with the 3M like you mention, it's hard to go wrong.

George is this new Mack for Open 12 or USRA GT12?

Bernie Schatz

Quote Originally Posted by GT1 View Post
    George is this new Mack for Open 12 or USRA GT12?
    Both! Open 12 AND GT12 pending approval by Berteinstein.

Quote Originally Posted by slotcar racer View Post
    jason, you must have been reading the body testing before the 2012 nats at scr. As i recall, all the bodies could run roughly the same lap times but the car worked differently with each design. It can surely come down to individual preference. Good to see you're gluing donuts! If you do it with the 3m like you mention, it's hard to go wrong.
    ****yeah george, just want to try something different down here in socal...you know how it is...always testing... Thinking the dome might float around the track a little better...but we shall see...going to test bodies and the new " tortuga tread" tires tonight after work... Last night took and cut all 6 pairs down...was a little challengeing at first trying to cut off the excess rubber so i did blow up my hudy truer..lol but for the first batch not too bad...i did learn a couple things to improve on next time...sure is kind of fun doing that part of the sport that i have never done before making tires....

Also trying out different gearing...boy that 80 pitch on those little rewind motors feels really good....
    Last edited by stoneman; 08-07-2013 at 11:54 AM.
    "MAY THE FORCE BE IN THE FINGER"
    "Theres no banks in heaven,spend it all on slotcars"
    "WINGS ARE FOR FAIRIES- GTP RACING RULES"

The Mack Speed GT-12 Chassis actually landed in the states a little more than a week ago (in "plenty" of time to meet the Aug 1st submit date). All I have to say about the chassis is that now I need one! Truly a thing of beauty.
    Bert
    Asking all things relevant-

Three new PRODUCTS (armature, set up, chassis) to share with everyone starting with a new armature from PK Armatures. This is Dan's F1 arm which will be available in 42t28 and 47t29. This is a Super Short (see photo) arm with diameter of only .460" using a specially designed new blank with .014" laminations and the latest EDM commutator made in-house.

IMG_1805

While this new arm was being developed, Joel Montague of Camen designed an entirely new can and endbell to create this little jewel, the Gulliver F1 set up

IMG_1795

The endbell is a .570" diameter specifically for smaller diameter cans...otherwise the same design as the regular Camen eurosport endbell. Magnets are singles, Cahoza endbell hardware (only the best!).

IMG_1796

Here is a prototype arm next to a new set up.

IMG_1797

And to show how this all fits together, here it is in a Mack F1 Eurosport

IMG_1800

Which brings me to the third item, the Mack F1 chassis. This is one of Richard's prototypes, but the production chassis is very close.

IMG_1802

This one I came within a whisker of racing at the Nats in New Jersey, lap times were just as fast as the car I ran, but I didn't have time to do any further tuning of this car to get it through the Devil's squiggles.....either that or I just couldn't drive....

IMG_1804

This is my fastest F1 on the Testarossa at SCR. Very stable and looks really clean going around the track

IMG_1803

I see you have "Harry's Nut" on there too.

SCR
    Do we need a special comm cutter for this arm ( LOL ) looks awful short .Nice report Glad the manufacturers are developing new stuff for scale racing. looking forward to your on track report.
    I see no cap on arm is the new comm that good you don't need it or the f-1 are soft enough no to need it.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

WOW! That arm is so short. I like it.

By the way that new Gulliver style .570ID F1 style Setup is awesome. You will like it. Specially with the smaller diameter arms. I have a .470 Diameter in mine right now. Gonna try a .460-.456ish arm in the next build.
    "Dub" Wade
    Nampa, ID
    208-392-0639
    dustynwade@ymail.com
    Dub Motors, Dub Rides, Dub Winged bodies, PMP Chassis, Paint by Odie, Bone Bodies.
    Of course Balance by Beuf
    3rd Eye Controllers

SCR
    Not to get off f-1 motors and chassis but I just got done working on last years 1/24 Castriconi eruo what a nice well thought out chassis a breeze to work on pulling it apart and just as nice going back together.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com