Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

I forgot to mention before that in addition to the 42t28 and 47t29 there is also a 40t29 available, in fact Dan has three wound as I write this. I tested the 39t29 prototype in the Mack out in Modesto last week and it was a really nice driving wind. Hermanator tested the same car two weeks ago with the 40t28 in it. Jim has been testing a 47t29 in Seattle using my Horky car, he says it's really good on The Twister. Although the 40t28 pictured earlier shows .677" length, the pinion end spacer can easily be shaved down another .015"-.020" to get down to around .655". However, as the armatures are built right now they are mated really nicely to the Camen Gulliver F1 set up, the spacing is absotively posilutely correct.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    SCR
    Not to get off f-1 motors and chassis but I just got done working on last years 1/24 Castriconi eruo what a nice well thought out chassis a breeze to work on pulling it apart and just as nice going back together.
    Piero's 1/24 chassis are so simple to maintain, just pop off two pan stops and the whole thing comes apart. On the flip side, the Horky is complicated, both pan stops have to come off, then pull the spine and the rear leadwire retainer and only then can you get the crossbar out. Then a few more stops to free up the rails so you can check them. It's around a 1.5 hour process, but the reward is there at the end. I worked a bit on a Micek and it had a very interesting process of disassembly/reassembly....

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    SCR
    Do we need a special comm cutter for this arm ( LOL ) looks awful short .Nice report Glad the manufacturers are developing new stuff for scale racing. looking forward to your on track report.
    I see no cap on arm is the new comm that good you don't need it or the f-1 are soft enough no to need it.
    Yeah, Mic, you probably saw my comm truing project from a while earlier....had to modify the Hudy o ring retainer adding an inside groove. I still need to grind away the upright on the pinion side of the arm so it clears more easily.

As for the comm, you're right that the relatively low rpm of an F1 arm means a comm cap is absolutely unnecessary. I run 7:33, others run 6:30. We're only looking at around a 5:1 ratio and .600" diameter tires versus 6:45 on a 1/24 ES with .660" tires. Lap times also around 1.5 seconds per lap more with F1....no, those comm are in no danger at all!

I think I reported earlier that the armature I ran at the Nats to get 2nd place was a PK "comm tester" armature. It was never meant to do anything but run a ton of laps WITH NO COMM CAP to see how the comm fared. With no cap I did around 500 test laps at SCR, then brought it to New Jersey and the arm turned out to be the choice for the Main. Another 40 minutes later and it was fine. So, needless to say, the new PK comm Dan is making in-house is bullet proof. However, on all sports arms (1/32 & 1/24) they are all capped for extra insurance. It's ONLY the F1 arms that will be capless.

So, those f1 arms you speak of available yet ? And where is the best place to get one of those camen f1 set-ups
    Jay Rogers
    Mic Byrd .....PowerPlants!!!!
    GARDEN STATE ISRA
    CRUSH GRAPHIXS...custom numbers and paint masks... just ask
    Balance By Bill Bugenis !!!!
    www.TheISraUsa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerzey JayRo View Post
    So, those f1 arms you speak of available yet ? And where is the best place to get one of those camen f1 set-ups
    Jay, initially at least, the F1 arms are going to come to Pacific Slot Car Raceways, Edgewood, Washington, site of the 2013 Flat Track Worlds and the 2014 USRA Scale Nationals. He also gets the Camen set up, but I'm sure if your local track orders the set up they are available.

Quote Originally Posted by berteinstein View Post
    the mack speed gt-12 chassis actually landed in the states a little more than a week ago (in "plenty" of time to meet the aug 1st submit date). All i have to say about the chassis is that now i need one! Truly a thing of beauty.
    Bert
    ****does any tracks have this landed in there mail box for sale yet????
    "MAY THE FORCE BE IN THE FINGER"
    "Theres no banks in heaven,spend it all on slotcars"
    "WINGS ARE FOR FAIRIES- GTP RACING RULES"

Stoneman
    I have 2 reserved Kits @ PSCR they are waiting on 10 of them . Don't know about built .
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Well just finished an H&R JRL chassis Roller for my buddy Jersey Jayro Just a little over 6 hours but it came out great . was going to post picture but can't locate my camera. There's no way to do these faster but when built right they are a great JRL. Will be at track tomorrow night hope to test .
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

well went to club and cleaned track for race Saturday ran in all the lanes Jayro put a motor in the JRL and put some laps on it he was very happy so it was worth the hard work.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

mack GT 12 2014 speed 12

Hi all
    the first batch of Speed 12 chassis is on its way to Jim Radford
    Richard Mack

Yay!
    1004004_4629649318215_1000521199_n

Quote Originally Posted by dickytenkids View Post
    Hi all
    the first batch of Speed 12 chassis is on its way to Jim Radford
    Richard Mack
    Good news Richard hopefully have time to build 1 or 2 before Isra USA Championship in september
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

I may be making some progress with C Can motors finally. When I got back from Seattle I had a tackle box full of very nice LOOKING set ups, but I don't think anything was particularly good in there. Looks don't really count. They can be nice and spotlessly clean with meticulous shunt wires, but if they don't perform it is all for not. So yesterday I started out by taking one motor apart and cleaned it some more. This confirms I am OCD. Then I went through more arms. Another confirmation of OCD. Out of seven arms, I chose one that sounded pretty good....better than the rest. Then I cleaned up a few more set ups that had a few laps on them. More OCD. I then put the arm that sounded good in the one set up into another set up. Of course, it then sounded terrible. Tried more arms in setup #2. Finally found an arm that seemed good. Meanwhile, good arm #1 went back into good setup #1 where it continued sounding good. I now realize that I am in OCD Heaven. More of this fun today.....

Nothing much to do today at work going to do a bulldog 3 build it took about 10 minutes to get pieces separated will start clean up and fitting then heat up the iron I'm thinking about 1 & 1/2 hours to complete .
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Finished up the dog 3 with a few interruption 2 hours start to finish including time to get restarted after being interrupted . looks very good nice and flat nice and smooth when moving pans should be a great chassis. Now have to decide if its going up for sale with 2 Mack speed 12's coming don't have alot of room for this 1. this would make my 3rd dog 3 got to let 1 dog out I think
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com