Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Have you tried it with the rails soldered up ?
    That's how I run it with our open 12 shells over here ,and ive found it a few tenths quicker than my dog 3
    Richard

Whats body's do you run for open 12 ? We run the RF r-10 long
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

we use BPA Lolas mostly

IMG_2074

Time to build a Mack SPEED 12 chassis. Start out by removing all the bits from the steel sheet. I like to remove sharp edges from the major pieces and round off edges that will come into contact with the track at speed. This will reduce excess ablation. First insert the cross bar stop...don't solder yet.

IMG_2075

Then assemble the motor box brace, pillow blocks and use the jig to hold the pillow blocks squarely. Note that the motor box brace fits into the cross bar stop.

IMG_2076

You can now solder this together.

IMG_2077

Next I put in the two leadwire guides.

IMG_2078

And then insert the guide tongue holder.

IMG_2079

And the guide tongue spacer. Note how I have put a Slick 7 .005" axle spacer at the front. This will put a slight upward angle to the guide tongue which I find useful in making my cars handle to my liking.

IMG_2080

Finally, the guide tongue.
    Last edited by Slotcar Racer; 10-23-2013 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Added comments
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

IMG_2081

Spine Time. Be sure to put the little "D" shaped bit on the spine first! .032" wire.

IMG_2082

Slide the spine through the cross bar stop.

IMG_2083

Solder the front of the spine to the chassis. You can make your spine any way you want. I just happen to like it this long. I need more experimentation with this chassis, it is still very new to me.

IMG_2084

I then wack off the rear part of the spine to make it flush with the top of the cross bar stop. Wacking is a technical term.

IMG_2085

Next I seem to have soldered the "D" shaped bit and the spine to the cross bar stop. I think this is what Richard told me to do.

IMG_2086

And now to wrap a wire around the rear of the spine to make it more durable. Start by soldering the .015" wire sideways like this.

IMG_2087

Then I just use a small needle nose pliers and wrap that wire around the post...takes about 3-4 wraps. Then solder it up.

IMG_2088

Now to the front of the center section. Install the front pan stops.
    IMG_2089

And to complete most of the center section (at least for the time being) cut your .039" rails to 3.580" and solder solid in front, and solder the tubes to the rear. This length is what I am starting with. It gives minimal steer, pretty much a tight fit in the space allotted.
    Last edited by Slotcar Racer; 10-23-2013 at 07:08 PM.

IMG_2090

Solder the pan hangers to the cross bar. Richard provides two styles....one has .039" holes, the other has wide oval holes. I tried the wide ovals already and I think it makes the car a bit too much side play, so I am going to try the .039" hole ones next. Best to hog out the holes in the hangers a bit other wise it binds up a little when you get the thing all assembled.

IMG_2092

Between steps, wife and I went here to take the beagles for a walk for our 30th anniversary. This is Lake Lagunitas near Fairfax, Calif. in Marin County. Had an Italian dinner afterwards. Made me think about Piero a little...

IMG_2094

After you've built up the center section to the point illustrated above, simply assemble all the pieces to the two pans. Now I am installing the pin tubes in such a way they will be perfectly square to eachother.

IMG_2095

And the other set of pin tubes.

IMG_2096

We're nearing the end! Put the cross bar in. Sequencing in building a Mack chassis is crucial. If you miss a step, you'll end up reversing course....or, as the Garmin says, "re routing".

IMG_2097

Then put the rear stops in that hold the crossbar. You can now solder them in place. The cross bar is now installed.

IMG_2098

So, here is what is left. All you do is take the two .039" "pins" as in the photo, and assemble these pieces. Put your pans in the front stops and get the pans in place. The pins will slide in through the little bits in the rear and then through the cross bar pan hangers.

IMG_2099

This is how it ends up. I just lightly tack in the pins at the rear with solder in case I want to take the chassis all apart for maintenance.

IMG_2100

This is how the completed chassis looks. Happy building!
    Last edited by Slotcar Racer; 10-23-2013 at 07:16 PM.

Very interesting George.

Thanks!

Tony
    OWH Slotographer

George,

I assure you that Piero's not thinking about us on his anniversaries. Focus!!

Greg

Great article George.

good looking build as always . Put new Jersey Jayro speeder on the track last night At The Garden State Isra Club Home of the Anaconda. Track surface was not very good we where hot lapping at 4.4's pretty good for a bad track surface . Jerzey Jayro was happy looking forward to running these on the Jersey Devil this weekend at our second series race.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Mic, thanks for pointing out my crossbar retainers are inserted pointing backwards instead of pointing forward as in Richard's build on page 244 of this thread. I think I put them in facing to the rear because that's how I've done my Mack eurosports. But then again, maybe those were all wrong too! Richard, if you're reading this, can you tell us if the direction of that stop makes any difference? Seems to me it wouldn't make a difference, and I like the way I did it because it provides a solid forward stop at those two points with the solid rearward stop at the center spine holder. I guess that's why it made sense to me. Then again, it took me a while to figure out how to use Wright Way motor magnet wedges, I seem to think backasswards sometimes....

Love the way Richard builds a jig into his steel cutting sheet. Detail, detail, detail.

Quote Originally Posted by patraceruk View Post
    Love the way Richard builds a jig into his steel cutting sheet. Detail, detail, detail.
    Your right I was looking at that piece saying to myself it looks like it had a purpose didn't get it until i saw Georges build make for easy rear alignment. I really Love Richards kits puts the fun in building
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Mr Hood let me give his new Speeder a run down at SCR earlier this month. It was, to me, very good....probably an understatement. I don't remember the body he had on it but from what I do the LMP style bodies should be very good. Maybe someone can explain the fundamental difference(s) between an open 12 and a gt 12.... outside of the cost/price limits.
    Jay Herrod

Jay Don't know myself Would like to hear the answer .

George your right was looking at the one I'm finishing up today and I don't think it makes any difference which way you face them . Its a very good chassis. still don't know if I like it better then the dog 3 I'm running . dog 3 is just so smooth and predictable
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com