Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Yeah guys, sorry, I've had S16C on the brain building some for a client. Everything I said applies to the C Can. As far as D Can stuff goes, I have minimal experience with those lumps. Freddie's info sounds good to me!
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Freddie View Post
    There is another article on the other blog where, I believe, Danny Zona (DZ) talks about using very large air gaps and getting excellent results. Something like .513 arms with .560 airgaps and even some at .600. The larger gap reduces the magnetic bog and allows the arm to spin up very quickly. You can then use smaller pinions to improve the braking and reduce the stress on the motor resulting in a cooler running motor. It also has the added affect of softening the motor out of turns making it more drivable. Try the larger air gap with the FX magnets and see how it works.
    I tried that and I did not have good results.
    The motor came back from Dan with the same kind of setup again, so maybe I`ll try it again, but I have my doubts.

Fred!

My Buddy, we're seeing good results with a tighter airgap for 16d and S16d motors at The Track. With the .540 (... maybe that should be .560) Proslot arms (I think 38 degree ... I'll have to check) 16d arms, air gaps of .575 and below are working well.

However, given Danny always fast, I think I'll give his prescription a try. See you soon Fred.

Tony
    Last edited by Tmoore; 12-28-2013 at 09:43 PM.
    OWH Slotographer

SCR
    Tell George great Horky how too in the Isra Worlds issue of SCRN
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    SCR
    Tell George great Horky how too in the Isra Worlds issue of SCRN
    Will do Mic. He's back in the slot room now working on some C Can set ups. I'll tell him you liked it.

great thread this with loads of useful hints and tips for us new racers, slotcar racer you keep mentioning the great deal for the proslot end bell im trying to find the part number as i have a few aging proslot c-cans that could do with a new end bell with updated brush gear, could you tell me the part number
    On another note cahoza carbon fiber wheels, do they come with an offset boss allowing them to fit over the gear

582 Air gap works really well. Remember Danny, was getting hundreds of arm's from Terry Kelly just like Duran. It's not just the arm's you need strong magnet's aswell.
    ParmaPSE
    3rd Eye Technology

With a .560 arm were getting great results with a .572-.575 hole. and for .540 the same thing .552-.555 works really well on our tracks and power layouts
    IDAHO SCC
    dub motors
    herminator tires
    PMP chassis
    Redfox
    BBB

Quote Originally Posted by La Cucaracha View Post
    What`s a good setup for a .518 ProSlot 38 degree 16D arm?
    I want something with punch and brakes for LMP Group 10 on an American King at 14.1 Volts. (RT.93 in Akron, Ohio).
    I have a new ProSlot setup from Dan but it has a huge airgap for .560 arm.
    Should I shim the magnets or get something else?

What is the airgap on the Kelly or Kamen setup?
    http://www.e-slotcar.com/shop/d-can/...d-setup-ke578/

http://www.e-slotcar.com/shop/d-can/...6d-setup-k600/
    Kamen Airgap is .570 or less. Kelly ranges from .575 to .590 depending on the can

.518 16d arms don't have punch. They Can be faster then big arms but they are much smoother with less brakes.

They are much more sensitive to air gaps and magnets.
    They hate to get hot.
    Last edited by gotboostedvr6; 12-28-2013 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by palm_dog View Post
    With a .560 arm were getting great results with a .572-.575 hole. and for .540 the same thing .552-.555 works really well on our tracks and power layouts
    I'll second that... My Dub built 16d , 560 arm, 575 hole was a rocket. It was also VERY durable, practice and 3 races with nothing more than simple cleaning and it still had 75% brush.
    Alan Ingram

I agree with Mic. The article in the SCRN about rebuilding 1/24 ES Horky chassis is fabulous! Nice job SCR!

Regarding the other recent topic here: I have a number of very fast c-can motors with excellent torque characteristics and brakes (all of them looking for a better driver). They are an even mix of .540 and .518 diameter arms. No news, but I think that it's much more about having the right combination of arm and set-up and the proper air gap, than a specific arm diameter.

Greg

I'm not disputing a tighter gap just telling of an alternative. I currently have most of my 16D and S16D motors with tight air gaps (.575-.585). However, I have built 2 16Ds with .513 arms (RJR hemis) and a .575 air gap. One sounds weak and the other is a screamer. I also built a S16D with a coated .525 arm and a .575 air gap that also is a screamer. What they sound like on the box has very little to do with what they run like on the track.
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.

Heading up to Slot Car Raceway, SOT2006, 2008A2012USRASN. Testing The Squid on both GT12 cars today, mainly trying it on the new Speed 12. Got it working really well with a JK Products BMW last week. Knocked out both motor box weights, that did the trick.

Testing 1 2 3...

testing.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -