Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Tried to race the Tazer this past sunday at the speed zone on the jersey devil with Bmw body it was horrible wanted to fly couldn't keep it in slot .Andrew raced his with the rear steer locked up with pin solder over joint and it was good his motor wasn't had to change in middle of race. Learned a good lesson about reslodering pinion before each race had some spinnig problems . Live and learn . Put saunders gt -12 on track and it was hooked up .Will lock up rear steer for N.E Isra race in 2 weeks on same track and post results. Will be building my moseeti 1/32 euro chassis this week going to use an old 6 mag motor 485 dia arm not sure what wind any suggestion would be helpful.
    Last edited by Mic Byrd; 03-28-2011 at 04:02 AM.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Mic, sorry to hear the Tazer didn't work as well as you'd like. But, you should be applauded for your continued efforts to make it work. Herman and I are going to the Nats with one Tazer and three Bulldogs, we should be able to find a couple of cars to run on Sunday.

Yesterday I went to Slot Car Raceway, Rohnert Park, Calif and purchased an ARP El Cheapo 80 pitch pinion. Sure enough, it worked just fine. I spoke with fellow SCR slotcar racer Ryan McDaniel about eurosport pinions and he said he uses the El Cheapo ones, but he only uses them for one race.

As for the Horky pinions, I just got some from my supplier in the UK and tried one. It's just as good as the El Cheapo pinion, but costs about four times as much. However, I have some Horky pinions I've been using for over two years now, so that probably makes them a good bet. The only pinions that did not work for me were the locally grown $24 edm ones. Those are the ones I could not get to work properly no matter what I did. They are now dyed red and in the dead pinions box. I still have some more to test....the problem is, I have bought all the different possibilities but did not keep track of which is which!!! My favorite pinions are still the ones I got from Lee back in 2006 when I got back into eurosport racing. I can recognize these because they are the smallest ones, the diameter is just a bit smaller than anything else. They have the best mesh of all if that's possible. Time to get to "work" now...

Last night finished up all the tires for eurosport and GT12. All the F1 tires are done, those are the little .350" hubs CRASH CODGER sent me a while back. lThey started as .815" wheels, but I narrowed down to .630" for the little cars. Those make fabulous F1 wheels, just the right amount of rubber considering the car techs at .595" tire diameter. The old .400" diameter hubs don't have the amount of rubber I prefer. Tonight I need to finish up the ES32 tires which are just in need of final touch up. Going into the "waiting to leave for Chicago Mode". Hmm, should I pack now? Uh oh, gotta go, frame rep outside....

You know what I hate most about getting ready for the big race Slotcar Racer? Just when you thought you were finished and ready to pack, another package is left at your front door! Have fun! See you next week!

George,

You will find that the 6t 80p ARP "non EDM" pinions will wear very well and can be used for many races.

IMHO-
    I have had good luck with both the 30.00 pinions and the 7.00 versions. I think the key thing on these little pinions is that they are delicate and you need to treat them with care. If you try and force them on the arm or smash them with your fingers when you are taking them off of your motor you will have trouble no matter the manufacture or the price.
    Asking all things relevant-

Quote Originally Posted by Berteinstein View Post
    IMHO-
    I have had good luck with both the 30.00 pinions and the 7.00 versions. I think the key thing on these little pinions is that they are delicate and you need to treat them with care. If you try and force them on the arm or smash them with your fingers when you are taking them off of your motor you will have trouble no matter the manufacture or the price.
    Darn it, maybe that's what's going on with my 6 tooth pinions, so I shouldn't use my hammer to put them on? Gee whiz Jasn, I didn't think it made much difference if I used my pinion press or a hammer. And you're saying when I remve it frm the mtr nt t smash it with my fingers? K

Quote Originally Posted by Speedshop View Post
    George,

You will find that the 6t 80p ARP "non EDM" pinions will wear very well and can be used for many races.
    Well that recommendation is good enough for me Lee! I need to find a way to keep track of these pinions so I don't mix the $7 ones with the $30 ones. Maybe grinding a slight "X" pattern on one end of it will be a way to mark it. I've been grinding a very small single groove on the end of the pinions that check out OK. I probably have about 20 of these things all together and it's kind of a tedious process of eliminating the crummy ones. I know I bought a couple of American EDMs somewhere and they sure didn't work at all. They weren't packaged, so I can't be sure if they were ARP, Horky or what. Anyway, those are now red dyed and in the skull and crossbones box.

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Darn it, maybe that's what's going on with my 6 tooth pinions, so I shouldn't use my hammer to put them on? Gee whiz Jasn, I didn't think it made much difference if I used my pinion press or a hammer. And you're saying when I remve it frm the mtr nt t smash it with my fingers? K
    George,

I've crushed several of them with my bare fingers.

But then again, I have unusually "HUGE ARMS".

Just ask Kevin, he's seen them.
    Ken Swanson

Team BOW
    JK Products
    Chicagoland Raceway
    Mid-America Raceway
    ISRA USA Great Lakes Region
    BOWskateer Founding member # 001
    R.I.P. Monty. Miss You My Friend

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Swanson View Post
    George,

I've crushed several of them with my bare fingers.

But then again, I have unusually "HUGE ARMS".

Just ask Kevin, he's seen them.
    You think you have big arms, just look at Grandson's!!! I'll be seeing him next week, and his other grandmother is arriving from Rwanda next Monday so I get to meet her too. Unfortunately Mamatimo does not speak a word of English, but we'll manage somehow...should be a very interesting visit, The Nats, The Grandson, The Sister In Law from Rwanda...
    [IMG]195226_1210200_4130222_n[/IMG]

Yiles! Not ANOTHER thread about "HUGE ARMS"!!! LOL

And I thought they weren't legal now!

You ought to get your grandson a Popeye the Sailor T-Shirt! Keep feeding him spinach, and he'll be hoisting a controller up to the track in no time!

That's a cute kid!!! A future Slotcar Racer, perhaps (if the Librarian gig pays off & allows time... that is...)!

So... is the grandma from Rwanda your grandparent-in-law? Or do you refer to her as your sister-in-law??? I'm confused...

I've wondered about this, since Gary (GearBear) Johnson & I are co-grandparents. I sometimes refer to Gary as my "grandpa in law".

At any rate... our granddaughter is already a 3rd generation Slotcar Racer, since both grandad's & mom race & dad used to race... and hopefully her little brother will follow!

Paul K
    @ OWH Field Office in the Philippines
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 03-30-2011 at 09:51 AM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Quote Originally Posted by oldweirdherald View Post
    Yiles! Not ANOTHER thread about "HUGE ARMS"!!! LOL

And I thought they weren't legal now!

Paul K
    @ OWH Field Office in the Philippines
    They are in the free world, not in the USSR.
    Ken Swanson

Team BOW
    JK Products
    Chicagoland Raceway
    Mid-America Raceway
    ISRA USA Great Lakes Region
    BOWskateer Founding member # 001
    R.I.P. Monty. Miss You My Friend

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Swanson View Post
    They are in the free world, not in the USSR.
    Is it really the free world or is just run by a single dictator with a long term goal to trick you all in to believing what he says is gospel.

Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

1) I'm not from the USSR. Never been there either. Hard to know where Rob is really from, tho some other planet is much more likely than Eastern Europe. :-)

2) Concerning the pinions: Thomas Trantura, the really nice Austrian guy who pitted next to Rob Voska and I at the World's, has a large number of really cool special tools. I think that they are the same ones that the Czechs use, tho I believe many of them are actually made by a guy in Germany. One of the tools is a pinion run-out gauge which checks pinion run-out after the pinion is soldered onto the arm. It is his contention that off-center pinions are not uncommon.

My own run-out gauge can likely be used for the same purpose, but I need to build a jig to hold the motors in place, and I haven't done that. A jig for c-cans will be easy, but the cobalts will require something curved that will hold them on their sides, as most of mine decidedly do not lie flat.

Maybe the best thing to do is just run them and sort them like Slotcar Racer suggests above.

Greg

Slotcar Racer - maybe you need to invest in a few more colors of armature dye, for keeping track of your pinions. You could use a different color for each brand or type, or just to tell the cheap ones from the spendy ones. I've got Red, Yellow, Blue, & of course Purple - so that seems like enough to keep them sorted.

And here I was... thinking that a "run-out gauge" was something that measures just how much you can spend on tools & toys... before your wife/girlfriend decides to "run-out" on you!

Those Czechs have all sorts of cool tools & toys. Maybe that accounts for how they do so darned good...

Just wait until they get a gander at Slotcar Racer in his new super-duper dentist magnifier glasses!
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 03-30-2011 at 03:41 PM.
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com