Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Thanks for the tip guys. Yesterday while running black I tried to get the timing on the hairpin down so that with light brakes I was just rolling through the corner. Hit it just right and the car would flow really nicely. Hit it wrong and you either go real slow, or you come off.

I also ran for quite a while on Red. The hairpin at the end of the bannana on that lane is tricky as it is a decreasing radius and feels like you should be able to push it harder than you can. I will have to work more on it today.

This is the first track I have ever driven where to much braks can really upset the car. Kind of fun really!
    Gary Johnson

When I got home last night I decided to raise the rear axle on the new Bulldog, so I used a couple of Cahoza 42T angled spurs and made the change. My thinking is to go to Chicago with two Bulldogs to try out, one with the 42 tooth axle setting, the other is my first Bulldog with the 40 tooth setting...why not have some variety? It took a little while to get the gear set right, sometimes it is tedious and stubborn...then again sometimes I run out of talent....but eventually it got set up right. I'm waiting on some new Pro Slot .540 arms, but looks like they are lost in the mail so I will have only one motor. My other motors are either illegal or built for NORCAL with Koford .518 arms. It's just amazing to drive a .540D motor, then put in a .518D motor...the smaller arm feels really peaky. Reminds me of the days when we were switching from .459D eurosport arms to .480D arms.

Otherwise I only have a few last minute shipments expected, one is a .480T six mag from Camen and a few Valiko arms from Speedshop....hopefully Express Mail gets those items to me by tomorrow evening. Then there is the matter of packing...time to get out the slotcar suitcase and start stuffing the little cartons. Can't wait to meet Grandson.

George don't count out the small arm. In the right setup they work really nice on the Monster. Ask Roger.

I build a motor for one of the local guys that just screams with a small arm. The motor has just the right amount of brakes and revs to hell and back. You just need to gear it right.

See ya at the race.

Mike
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

That's a great tip Mr. Excitement. Local NORCAL rules say .518" is biggest diameter, so I'm more used to working with those motors right now. For gearing, we've been going back and forth between 7T and 8T pinions on the SCR roadcourse. I've always used a 7T on The Monster to use maximum rpm as much as possible. I've always run 7T on LMP/B Production too come to think of it! The smaller arm seems to spool up real fast and has a lot of brakes...that's what I refer to as "peaky" in comparison to the big arms. Big arms seem to get up to speed and maintain a smooth constant stream of power over the whole track. They never seem to be going fast until you look at the lap times. Small arms give the impression of speed, but it is a lot different than the big arms. It all comes down to trying stuff out this weekend. Looking forward to seeing you again Mike.

Yep its all in the gearing with the small stuff.
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

The only slotcar building I did yesterday was to take two Pro Slot X12 arms out of their packages, open the boxes to my two Cahoza set ups, put the arms in the set ups, put them back in their boxes, close and seal with masking tape, put into the motor carton, put into suitcase. I couldn't believe how long it took for me to pack the slot suitcase even though I had the cartons all labelled and my list from The Worlds, it is still a very time consuming process. But the nice thing about it is the shop ends up nice and neat when the process is over. So tonight I just need to pack the big Samsonite with clothing for a week and then it is off to the Oakland Airport. Wife is driving me to the airport tomorrow and Francis the Tuba Player is picking me up next Thursday. Hermanator is taking a separate flight for some reason. I get into Midway around 4pm and he is getting in around midnight, but we'll probably drive over to the track on Friday morning together. Almost time to get my boarding pass, see if I make it into the "A" Main.....

I hope you will be taking your laptop, & have time to post even brief daily entries of your experiences & observations while at the Nats! It would be fun to follow along with you throughout the week! If not - well, we'll be watching the live webcam & race results!

Have a great trip - enjoy the grandson, and best of luck at the Nats!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If he doesn't have his laptop he can borrow my IPad to post up some thoughts...

I spent much of my day today working on my driving on the middle lanes, plus changing the gearing for the new Bulldog 2 I had to build last night as my original Bulldog isn't legal due to a broken front wheel tower and since they aren't available separately, I had to buy a new chassis kit. I decided that rather than fix my old bd I would just assemble the new one. Since Mike was staying late at the track anyway I got the chassis assembled last night before heading to the hotel, When I got to the track today, I threw a motor in it and put it on the track. It was way tight! I spent a lot of time working on it finally breaking down and cutting a body quite low for it and putting a 6 tooth pinion on the motor. It is still a little tight but drivable, so I will leave it till Sunday morning.

My Adv LMP car handles well but is a bit slow. Not sure what I am going to do about it tomorrow.
    Gary Johnson

Slotcar Racer
    enjoy meeting your grandson. grand kids are great to bad he lives half way across country. If he was closer you could enjoy him more and all the perks of being a grand father. Good luck at the Nat's did you bring your fishing pole? will be watching web cam.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

You can follow SotCar Racer in Slot Car Racing News. Watch for his USRA Nats report under the heading "Letter from America"

where?

Zippity
    We could do with a New Zealand reader. E mail me your home address and i will send you a free copy.

Guess who? All I had was the iPhone that I just got a few weeks ago and working with that thing is like threading a needle with sausage fingers. It's Tuesday and I'm at daughter's house enjoying the baby Andrew. Hermanator left this morning for an early flight, we'll get together soon for a test session at Slot Car Raceway, Site of the 2006, 2008 and 2012 USRA Scale Nationals. Glad to see visitors to the thread and sorry I was incommunicado for a few days. Overall I'd say the work on the cars over the months since the Worlds was really beneficial especially the F1. Gugu ran a complete Horky car with the proprietary motor and chassis and I think our Camen Piero Spec motor was just as good. The only thing Slotcar Racer needs to work on is Slotcar Racing which, for the most part, was not as good as I would have liked, especially qualifying. My quallie run in F1 was dismal, 7th, which landed me with first lane choice in the B Main. I had to push myself like crazy all through that race and had a really great group of racers in that main who allowed me to reel off lap after lap.....enough to end up four laps behind Gugu. Kind of weird running a race from another heat, but I was pleased with the result.

ES32 and ES24 both resulted in 4th place finishes. The motor died in ES32 and in ES24 I made way too many mistakes. And KVAN, I DO NOT WANT YOU TO WORRY ABOUT THE BROKEN GEAR, when stuff like that happens, honestly it does not mean anything at all to me other than racing accidents happen. Hermanator did an awesome tire/gear change in that heat and I had a fantastic time trying to reel in Dustin for 3rd place, but 20 laps was too much!!!!

The other guy posted something about the GT12 race result, so we'll let that stand as it is. We learned some things during this race and when I get back home I need to try out some of this stuff. I have another day here in Naperville with daughter, then my flight is around Noon on Thursday. Today we are going to head over to Bolingbrook to play a round of miniature golf at the Bear Course. Better get going....

Flew home from Chicago yesterday, another really good flight on Southwest Airlines. They have such a good program. Spent Tuesday and Wednesday mostly with daughter and grandson in Naperville. We got in a round of miniature golf at Wilderness Falls in Bolingbrook on the "Bear Course", that's the one where you play the hole through the cave and there's a pair of red lights in the dark with a bear roar recording. This was a welcome relief from a week of slotcar racing believe it or not! There is life after the Nats. Back at "work" today and in avoidance mode with trays and trays of eyeglass orders to process, but not too bad. It's more important to post something than to get into that stuff. After all, it is only "work".

This weekend I'll get the shop back into operating condition and tear down all the cars so the chassis get cleaned. I need to do a post mortem on the ES32 car to figure out what happened to that motor. I'm afraid it was just another bad decision on my part, chose the wrong motor for that race. My motor from last year's Nats was in the #2 chassis all freshened up and strong, but the somewhat experimental motor in chassis #1 was getting great lap times before the race. Unfortunately it turned into a Falcon 5 during the race. One thing I am learning about major events is how important the decision process is when it comes to which equipment to use, especially if you have multiple choices. Yeah, just like the old multiple choice test....a, b, c, d, or all the above....none of the above....take a guess.....OK, I better get going here....

Somehow managed to get through work on Friday. Now Saturday and the slotcar suitcase is unpacked, the tools are set up on the workbench and Slotcar Racer is ready to get back to WORK. First thing was to get CRASH CODGER's ES32 car packed up along with his 2011 Nats Tee Shirt and USRA Membership card....box will go out on the porch Monday for pick up. Next will be taking motors out of the cars from the Nats and cleaning up the chassis so they don't turn into rusted hulks. That ought to keep me busy for today. Better get to it....