Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Well, this has taken a good part of the day....
    [IMG]DSCN4096[/IMG]

[IMG]DSCN4095[/IMG]

Now it's time to wake up the beagles and get them out for a nice long walk....

[IMG]DSCN3980[/IMG]

Slotcar Rcaer
    You going to put busings in the rear for philli race? Nice build
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Great information ! As someone who has been out of slot cars for 15+ years I have really enjoyed the information in this thread. Please keep it coming as it has helped rekindle my passion. Hopefully the political garbage can stay away, but it is what it is, don't let it get in the way of a great source of information.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingram View Post
    Great information ! As someone who has been out of slot cars for 15+ years I have really enjoyed the information in this thread. Please keep it coming as it has helped rekindle my passion. Hopefully the political garbage can stay away, but it is what it is, don't let it get in the way of a great source of information.
    Chuck, is this really you? If this is Chuck Ingram, it is great to hear from you!!! However, if this is Ingram returned to slotcars after 15+ years, also good to hear from you, and glad you like reading about slotcar building and racing information. What are you doing these days in slotcar racing? If it's really you Chuck, I have to tell you that you had the best tires on the market 15 years ago. In fact, I still have some!

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    Slotcar Rcaer
    You going to put busings in the rear for philli race? Nice build
    Of course Mic! That's what the rules specify. I went to my local raceway, Slot Car Raceway, Site of the 2006, 2008 and 2012 USRA Scale Nats located in the scenic northwest Bay Area in the vicinity of the Pacific Ocean and high green hills, where I picked up some JK Products bushings, the small diameter ones so I can jig this chassis for small gears. I needed to reread the rules to see if oiling is OK between heats (and it is) because the JK bushings are like Slick 7s, a hardened oilite material that needs synthetic oil OFTEN or you experience the dreaded LOCK UP.

Also, I am rethinking those front brass axle tubes. I'm thinking of stripping those off and just soldering the axle directly to the chassis and wrap it with tiny wire for durability....in fact, it would be two axle-lettes, not a full axle across the front. This is all starting to look too heavy with the brass tubing and a full axle, and weight up too high. OK, I have work to do on this today....maybe I'll have it done by dinner today....

No, sorry to say this is not Chuck. I am just a former low budget racer who had the privilege to get into the hobby in the mid 80's at West Seattle Speedway and Hobby Too. Got to be around allot of very good and influential people that helped start this crazy passion with fast toy cars ! Thanks again for the thread !

Alan Ingram

Quote Originally Posted by Ingram View Post
    No, sorry to say this is not Chuck. I am just a former low budget racer who had the privilege to get into the hobby in the mid 80's at West Seattle Speedway and Hobby Too. Got to be around allot of very good and influential people that helped start this crazy passion with fast toy cars ! Thanks again for the thread !

Alan Ingram
    Well, great to hear from you Alan! Have you returned to slotcar racing at Pacific Slot Car Raceway in Edgewood, WA?

Unfortunately no.
    Rob was someone who really helped me back in the day and I was very sad to hear of his passing. I am currently in NorCal for a short while and hoping to visit SCR soon. Met Jim Fowler of NorCal Retro at FTH the other day and cannot say enough good things about him. Right now I am trying to figure out where to re enter the hobby, all i know is wing cars but dont see that as the route I want to go. Hoping to be able to make a few races at the local tracks to get a idea of the different types of racing available.

I'm a lot happier with this front end set up. Frank sold me some JK Products Indycar fronts last night, just needed to take the rubber off, narrow down the hubs to .300"W, then glued the rubber back on and then true down to needed diameter. They'll end up somewhat more than the .600" minimum.
    [IMG]DSCN4098[/IMG]

[IMG]DSCN4097[/IMG]

Before I close up shop tonight, I need to tear down my eurosport from the Nats. I tried it last night at SCR untouched since the race, and the motor was beyond soft, it was really slow. Didn't seem all that slow in Chicago, but ran pretty much GT12 times last night at Frank's. I need to tear it down and inspect it. More to come....

Got some bodys sprayed up while turkey is in oven then off to family dinner.SR still would like to see those front stand offs solid instead of those 2 diamond cut outs would be much stronger IMHO. Happy Easter everyone.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

New SuperWasp setup is now installed in the H&R JRL. Geared at 7/42 and sounds very nice on the box. My BOW arms should be back from Alpha early this week and then I can get the Contender back together.

Mack F1

I just built one of these for a friend at our track,i used .064 piano wire for the front axle and used champion indy narrow fronts that have an id the same.They work great and with a super wasp it handles well,i do believe i have to make them smaller in diameter a bit to tighten the car up but thats it.Still wondering why no instructions anywhere on this chassis?
    TEAM B.O.W
    In memory of Gordy Root a great mentor and friend
    One time at Slotnerds camp

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper802 View Post
    New SuperWasp setup is now installed in the H&R JRL. Geared at 7/42 and sounds very nice on the box. My BOW arms should be back from Alpha early this week and then I can get the Contender back together.
    Sounds like your JRL program is moving along nicely Rocky. I still have an H&R in my box, almost same configuration as what you said except it is pretty much a Pro Slot motor.

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    I just built one of these for a friend at our track,i used .064 piano wire for the front axle and used champion indy narrow fronts that have an id the same.They work great and with a super wasp it handles well,i do believe i have to make them smaller in diameter a bit to tighten the car up but thats it.Still wondering why no instructions anywhere on this chassis?
    F.B., I know what you mean about the lack of instructions, but I found it was an easy build with the help of some pictures of completed chassis that I found online. Everybody I know who drive these JRL cars seem to like SW motors the most. I have tried both Contender and SW and I too am coming around to preferring the SW....I don't know why, but all I can say is it seems to be a good match. And like 1/32 F1 Eurosport, this is a class where the match of motor to car is really important. Are you going to the race in Phillie in July F.B.?

I took apart my 1/24 Eurosport last night, I couldn't believe how clean it was. Monty would be proud. The motor, a 10 mag Voki with a Valiko 22t24.5 was really clean too. I think it slowed down because the brushes were too worn. The comm did not look good either. Brushes were only .130" long in front, .133" in rear. Brush tension was minimal as a result. It's no wonder it was so soft in the race and super slow at SCR on Saturday night. Otherwise, the car looked good and the body was still new, I don't remember hitting anything during the race other than being hit by one flying object (we know who that was!!!) I think I passed Dustin about 8 times in the last heat with his tires gone, but too much of a deficit plus now I know I was probably running slow laps anyway.

Didn't get the Mack JRL completed, but it is close. I jigged the front axles using a couple of .627" diameter gears. Turned the front wheels down to .625" and tonight I need to apply the fingernail polish so they will be slippery. Guide is installed, rear axle spins nicely, and I think I have a motor in the works, a Cahoza set up at .560" and a P/S Superwasp arm back from recondition. Oh yeah, and a Red Fox Indycar body. I'm going to try to finish up tonight, if not by tomorrow.