Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    F.B., I know what you mean about the lack of instructions, but I found it was an easy build with the help of some pictures of completed chassis that I found online. Everybody I know who drive these JRL cars seem to like SW motors the most. I have tried both Contender and SW and I too am coming around to preferring the SW....I don't know why, but all I can say is it seems to be a good match. And like 1/32 F1 Eurosport, this is a class where the match of motor to car is really important. Are you going to the race in Phillie in July F.B.?
    I really think it works so well due to the lack of TQ from the Super Wasp compared to the Contender Arms.
    Last edited by mazur50; 04-25-2011 at 08:13 AM.
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

Im not sure about going to phillie but I will be at Lou`s in June for the championship race for sure runnin all the classes FB // BTW nice job on the soldering of that chassis its not easy especially the center pivot
    TEAM B.O.W
    In memory of Gordy Root a great mentor and friend
    One time at Slotnerds camp

WOW, what a great thread this is! I passed it by and never paid much attention to it. Started reading from the begining and could'nt stop. After racing 1/24 euro's at this years "Western States" I forgot how much fun they are. (yes, I'm another old, used up, wing racer) This has inspired me to build some more scale cars and come play with you guys more often. I'm buildind a couple GT12's, another 1/24 ES, a 1/32 ES, 1/32 retro, Retro Pro, and a couple more Hardbodies for the Hardbody Nationals. Group 7 is getting to be more expense and work than I am willing to put forth at this time in my life. If you're not having fun... it's not worth doing.

I am almost finished with the Mack JRL. Last night I applied a few coats of Super Glue to the fronts and let them drive over night. This morning I lightly trued them on the Hudy tire truer....now they are right at .625" with a slippery surface. I have them set up the same as on a 1/32 F1 Eurosport, barely touching the block when the chassis is flat on the block. It'll probably need further tuning depending on which track it gets run on, but this is usually a good starting point for an open wheeler in my experience.

The motor seems really good. I rummaged around and found a Cahoza T5 set up with Pro Slot endbell and also found a reconditioned P/S Super Wasp arm, .540" diameter going into a .560" airgap. Sounded reasonably healthy on the Wright Way power supply. Threw a GT1 7 tooth pinion on it being sure to brush it with a soapy toothbrush after using acid flux, and mated it to a Camen/Cahoza 40 tooth spur. Monty would faint if he saw the trench I dug in the back side of this motor, but it sure helps with gear mesh, gear longevity, and weight distribution to move that lump as far to the rear as possible. This is a theory that has been proven to work in my own little feeble mind.

Also made a few minor modifications to a Red Fox Indycar body (.005") that had previously been mounted on an H&R chassis. The front mount matches perfectly! Just modified the rear mount....the Mack's is about 1/4" ahead of the H&R mount. Body looks really good.

I think tonight I just need to get this car wired up with some Alpha leadwire. Testing this weekend...Saturday or Sunday depending on which day the beagles have off....

Quote Originally Posted by hitecca View Post
    If you're not having fun... it's not worth doing.
    I am printing this out and posting it next to my workbench. This simple statement is my mantra.

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    Im not sure about going to phillie but I will be at Lou`s in June for the championship race for sure runnin all the classes FB // BTW nice job on the soldering of that chassis its not easy especially the center pivot
    Have a good run at Lou's, I'll check out the results!
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    I am almost finished with the Mack JRL. Last night I applied a few coats of Super Glue to the fronts and let them drive over night. This morning I lightly trued them on the Hudy tire truer....now they are right at .625" with a slippery surface. I have them set up the same as on a 1/32 F1 Eurosport, barely touching the block when the chassis is flat on the block. It'll probably need further tuning depending on which track it gets run on, but this is usually a good starting point for an open wheeler in my experience.
    George,

Can you describe the process you go through to apply the super glue evenly. I need to do this with the fronts on my new H&R JRL before the next race.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper802 View Post
    George,

Can you describe the process you go through to apply the super glue evenly. I need to do this with the fronts on my new H&R JRL before the next race.

Thanks
    It's a pretty simple process Rocky. I used to use fingernail polish and it worked fine....just brush it on in several layers. CRASH CODGER turned me on to the idea of just using super glue, so I got a nice bottle of stuff from Hobbytown that I am really impressed with. It has a great bottle that doesn't get all gooped up. (Gooping Up is a technical term). I mount the wheel on one of the short axles used for tire making, and I just squeeze the glue evenly on the tire turning it slowly...just use a cut off Q Tip or some disposable stick and spread it as evenly as you can. Let it dry several hours, apply another coat. After several hours drying, true it on your tire truer not cutting very aggressively....just a tiny bit at a time, take your time. I kept cleaning the glue dust out of the sanding drum with one of those yellow foams from a Koford motor box, keeps the dust from building up. You end up with a nice true and slippery tire.

I was just thinking on tires- I am sure somebody has tried it already though-using a harder rubber on top of a softer rubber or softer on top of harder like a "capped tire" ---- any advantages? waste of time?? waste of donuts?
    Asking all things relevant-

You should also be able to do the following... Please note: I have done this on wood lots of times and it works great, but I haven't tried it on foam tires. Do a test to make sure the Aerosol Activator doesn't hurt the foam.

Put the tire on an axle and spin it up using a dremel/drill/lathe/whatever. Take one of the Scott Blue Shop towels and put a couple drops of cyanoacrylate glue on it then touch the dot of glue to the tire. Spray with the Aerosol Activator and repeat (the squeeze bottle doesn't atomize correctly and you will get cloudy/white spots everywhere, so don't bother). Keep doing this until you have the desired thickness on the tire, then true it up. No need to wait for the glue to cure!

Don't use fabric towels for this, nor regular paper towels. The fabric can get sucked into the spinning tire and could tear your hand off. The regular paper towels will often just shred themselves. The Scott Blue towels are strong enough to do the job. Oh, and don't breathe the fumes from the glue or activator. It is nasty stuff!

I do a similar thing on my Wood Pens in the wood lathe. The CA glue (super glue) can give you a very nice clear HARD finish on wood that really shines. It is truly amazing stuff! Here is a video showing how one guy does it for Pens...

Gary Johnson

Thanks Gary, that's a pretty handy little gadget you've got there...

Finished up the JRL....

[IMG]DSCN4099[/IMG]

[IMG]DSCN4100[/IMG]

[IMG]DSCN4101[/IMG]

George, I wish that was my lathe. Mine isn't nearly so nice. But it gets the job done.

I sure wish we ran those IRL cars up here. We used to years ago. they were my favorite class. We used strap 12's in them at the time. They drove very similar to the F1 Euros, more power than you could use, so driving was at a premium.
    Gary Johnson

Finished up a couple of motors have 3 move to freshing up. Finished all the motor work for so friends .tommorrow work on my stuff for Garden State Isra Champion ship.% sets of new mag hubs and rubber to mount got a lot to do so better get to it.Ha Slotcar racer check out my post for the philli race.LOL
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

You can see an article on building a Mack JRL chassis and a mack 32 saloon chassis by the master himself in the April issue Slot Car Racing News which should be posted next week.

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    Finished up a couple of motors have 3 move to freshing up. Finished all the motor work for so friends .tommorrow work on my stuff for Garden State Isra Champion ship.% sets of new mag hubs and rubber to mount got a lot to do so better get to it.Ha Slotcar racer check out my post for the philli race.LOL
    Are you nuts or something?!?!?!