Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Quote Originally Posted by patraceruk View Post
    You can see an article on building a Mack JRL chassis and a mack 32 saloon chassis by the master himself in the April issue Slot Car Racing News which should be posted next week.

Pat
    That's going to be one to look forward to. Too bad it's too late for my struggle with the JRL! Good news is I have a Mack 32 Saloon in the drawer waiting to be built, so the article will come in very handy for that! For those wondering what "Slot Car Racing News" is all about, this is an excellent hardcopy slotcar publication with very high quality and full color. Race reports include detailed information about chassis, motors, gears. The articles are very well written. The last copy I received had an interview with Vladimir Horky. It's all good reading.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Trying to get the fronts off my HNR JRL to given them the superglue treatment but just can't make it happen. There are brass collars holding them on with solder. Tried a little acid and solder wick with no luck. Also tried just heating it up and pulling the tire, still no luck. What's the trick???

Cut off the axle and replace it. Saves mucho time and you have a straight axle. John
    Racing now at Wanker Valley Raceway and awaiting puppies!!

Try heating it again, using lots of heat and solder on the tip for maximum quick heat transfer.
    If pulling the tire still doesn't work, you might have to cut the axle like John said.
    You might have a tiny burr on the end (especially if you cut the axle after the keeper was installed)
    that wasn't as much of an issye before solder was added to the mix.
    "Get Yourself Retrofied"
    Chicagoland Raceway
    17B West Ogden Ave.
    Westmont,Il. 60559
    Phone-708-203-8003
    mikeswiss86@hotmail.com

Check out Chicagoland Raceway on facebook.

Slot Car Racer Today™,
    Your assistance is requested in post #20 here:
    http://www.slotcartalk.com/slotcarta...701#post267701
    "Get Yourself Retrofied"
    Chicagoland Raceway
    17B West Ogden Ave.
    Westmont,Il. 60559
    Phone-708-203-8003
    mikeswiss86@hotmail.com

Don't bother taking the tire off at all! Put a used axle/tire in your drill with the drill in a vise and turn it on. Touch the tire on your JRL to the spinning tire and super glue it up.
    Gary Johnson

Good one, Gary!

Thanks!

Greg

That would get the glue on evenly but I wouldn't be able to true it or polish it up. I also can't cut the axle, the H&R has a tube across the front that the axle runs through.

I wonder if he wants them off to retrue them after he coats them.
    "Get Yourself Retrofied"
    Chicagoland Raceway
    17B West Ogden Ave.
    Westmont,Il. 60559
    Phone-708-203-8003
    mikeswiss86@hotmail.com

True it up with sandpaper and polish it the same way. Sure it'll be a bit of work...
    Gary Johnson

I guess we were posting at the same time and I was right.
    It also sounds like you are limited to what I mentioned in post #499.
    Maybe before trying it, while the excess solder is still wicked off,
    try sanding / polishing the exposed part of the axle (assuming the keeper is not flush with the end)
    "Get Yourself Retrofied"
    Chicagoland Raceway
    17B West Ogden Ave.
    Westmont,Il. 60559
    Phone-708-203-8003
    mikeswiss86@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by brassrodman View Post
    Cut off the axle and replace it. Saves mucho time and you have a straight axle. John
    Slotcar Racer agrees with this method the most. If it isn't working, I think it is better to nuke it and start over with new stuff. At the Nats, somebody asked me for a pin tube sized drill...I happened to have a .035" drill on hand. Next he was looking for a Dremel with a chuck. OK, I had that too. Next, he asked me to drill out his pin tube. So then I then saw a chassis with a curved, bent pin tube. Next, I told him to unsolder the bent pin tube and replace it with a new one. Next, I put my .035" drill back in it's box. Don't waste time trying to repair something that isn't worth repairing.

Quote Originally Posted by swiss View Post
    Slot Car Racer Today™,
    Your assistance is requested in post #20 here:
    http://www.slotcartalk.com/slotcarta...701#post267701
    I like your estimate, Mike. I think ES24 will run under 5 seconds. Wish I could go to Brazil, but it just can't happen this year due to lack of vacation TIME. I would imagine that if I did go, I would put my eurosport on the track and run 5.2s at first, then I would set a goal of breaking 5 seconds. It could be tough, that track has a lot of interesting curves and is not a high speed punch bowl like a lot of tracks nowadays. This is a true driver's track. Gugu did a magnificent job. Hmmmm, there's always unpaid leave......

I got virtually nothing done last night, except I did one very important thing...I STOPPED. I give myself an attaboy for recognizing I was too tired and lacked patience. I started mounting my LMP motor in the realigned Cheetah 11....but it didn't go well so I aborted the mission. I put the motor back in its motor box and put it back on the shelf to "cure". I considered incantations at dawn, but could not wake up this morning. My next step was to pull the chassis apart again and put the center section back on the aluminum block. It was a matter of an important principle.....if it isn't going well, do not proceed....instead, reverse direction and go back to previous step....then proceed later. Superstitious actions are optional.

Slotcar Racer
    Finished all my motor work got 5 new sets of tires done .Tweaked and setup chassis installed motors .Even got euro together with fresh motor and some pin tube repair .practice body's on now just have to get 5 bodies ready .will be set for tomorrow Garden State Isra Championship at the race place Sponsors of the North American Isra USA Championship.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com