Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Good luck Mic, you've done your prep work, the car is in the box. Get to the track and tune the beast. I'll watch for results!
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

My flexi Contender car is becoming more and more "fun". I'm turning it into an ISRA B Production which means I can take the front wheels and axle off and mount an Audi R8 with no spoiler height restrictions. Sprayed a couple of R8s this morning, one got mounted on one of the Horky eurosports, the other is now on the B Production. The only problem is, I now have to pull out the Contender motor and tear it down. It developed a "push start" on the power supply, brushes are probably shorting out across the comm. The best way to find out is to tear it down again, true the comm and set it up with new motor brushes. This one is taking an inordinately long time to get going, but I'm sure it'll run well once I finish it. Time to walk the beagles.

I made a trip to TARGET yesterday and picked up yet another Closetmaid #8975 Alderwood 24" shelf unit, this time for home use. Herman and I found these to be so helpful in Chicago, I decided it was time to purchase one. It almost dwarfs my tiny workbench, but there's room under the shelf. In Chicago, this was used for tools as in the photo.

[IMG]DSCN4103[/IMG]

I don't really use much space when working on slotcars, in fact I usually use a tech block as a work space, that keeps it really small. I've used this little workbench since I was a kid. My Mom and Dad bought it along with some dressers and other cabinets at a flea market in New Haven in the early 50s. You can see the Unimat on the bottom shelf.

Anyway, the other part of getting this shelf is to get a photo and dimensions to Whitey's Slotcar Boxes down south of San Jose. The TARGET shelf weighs just under 11 lbs, so that uses up a lot of my Southwest Airlines 50 lb allotment. I'm asking Whitey's to make the same shelf, maybe slightly taller, but perhaps half the weight. I think this is truly the way to get on an airplane and travel to slotcar events. Next stop is Seattle at the end of the month.

Better get to work working on the race at SCR in two weeks.

Need to figure out a way to pack up the Carsteen and my H&R JRL to fit in my luggage for my trip to Corona, CA tomorrow. The plan is to hit up Buena Park Raceway on Wednesday night while I'm out there. Maybe a second trip on Thursday night if Wednesday works out well. Friday morning it's back on the plane and home sweet home for two days before I'm back on the road and across the pond to the Netherlands.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper802 View Post
    Need to figure out a way to pack up the Carsteen and my H&R JRL to fit in my luggage for my trip to Corona, CA tomorrow. The plan is to hit up Buena Park Raceway on Wednesday night while I'm out there. Maybe a second trip on Thursday night if Wednesday works out well. Friday morning it's back on the plane and home sweet home for two days before I'm back on the road and across the pond to the Netherlands.
    Have a good trip Rocky. I'd suggest putting the JRL and the Carsteen in separate small boxes and just put them in your luggage. The other way to go, if you have a spare hand for carry on, is to just bring a small slot box and take it on the plane with you...maybe take more cars. I can't remember the last time TSA actually asked me to open my slot box, lately the box has just whizzed through the machine without blinking. And, if they do want to take a look, they just check it to see if it has explosives in it. Enjoy the sunny Socal weather!

Got the Carsteen and the H&R JRL wrapped up with some bubble wrap, foam, and a towel in an old Amazon box. Then I just stuck it in my bag. I did write on the outside of the box "Slot car controller and Indy Car" along with my name, address, and cell number just in case. I was tempted to go the carry-on route but figured the scan might be trouble. If they lose my bag it's going to be bad news. Hopefully Buena Park Raceway will be worth the effort. Who am I kidding, any slot car track is worth the effort! Wish me luck.

The weekend turned out to be productive. No drive to Slot Car Raceway, just stayed home and worked on stuff including the workbench project. Heard back from Dennis at Whitey's Slotcar Boxes, he's going to work on the shelf project to try to put it on a diet to lose weight.

Cars are almost finished for the race at SCR on the 14th, that's the race with all the letters. The Cheetah 11 is flattened out after a painstaking process and a Falcon 7 mounted up with a 13T pinion to the 40T spur, JK Products BMW mounted and ready to do battle. Yesterday painted a Parma HD Caddy and mounted to Bulldog #1.

Then, rebuilt the "NORCAL" rules G12 motor...Koford 518" arm, Cahoza T5 set up honed to .535". Did some cosmetic clean up of the chassis.

So, for this week it is just a matter of getting one of the Horky Eurosports built up. I'll put a new Valiko 22t24.5 in the Voki 10 mag and mount it in the "Speedshop Version" Horky I ran in Chicago in October. The newer "stock" Horky will get the .480 tall single mag when it gets back. Testing next Sunday to make sure everything runs around the track.

you must make sure its ok with Ms. Slotracer as it is mothers day on sunday the 8th.

The work payed off cars where all very good .Little problem with 12 car had it to low at start of race had to adjust between heats then got Marshalled a few times and from there out it was down hill car got bent in a crash and i pulled it but qualified 2 got to remember to run and use white for car set up on the red lighting. had a great day alot of fun. My Saunders euro car was awesome but got hit and Marshalled a few times where they put a car down right in front of you ouch body got tore up and down hill from there managed a 6 th place .didn't work on anything yesterday was just spent from a long nite with wife friday and saturday went from 9 am to about 12:30 am sunday morning. start some new motor work today have 2 complete motors to do and 7 setups to hone and install bearings then start prep work for last N.E Isra Race on the 14th. lastly rob geibel set up his tazer with a euro motor that was a lttle soft and ran 3.6's with it steve whitt ran it in the race it work real well would like to see it with a good euro in it.
    Last edited by Mic Byrd; 05-02-2011 at 09:46 AM.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by topkat View Post
    you must make sure its ok with Ms. Slotracer as it is mothers day on sunday the 8th.
    Mrs. Racer works at the front desk at Holiday Inn on the weekends, therefore Slotcar Racer will be testing on Mothers Day

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    The work payed off cars where all very good .Little problem with 12 car had it to low at start of race had to adjust between heats then got Marshalled a few times and from there out it was down hill car got bent in a crash and i pulled it but qualified 2 got to remember to run and use white for car set up on the red lighting. had a great day alot of fun. My Saunders euro car was awesome but got hit and Marshalled a few times where they put a car down right in front of you ouch body got tore up and down hill from there managed a 6 th place .didn't work on anything yesterday was just spent from a long nite with wife friday and saturday went from 9 am to about 12:30 am sunday morning. start some new motor work today have 2 complete motors to do and 7 setups to hone and install bearings then start prep work for last N.E Isra Race on the 14th. lastly rob geibel set up his tazer with a euro motor that was a lttle soft and ran 3.6's with it steve whitt ran it in the race it work real well would like to see it with a good euro in it.
    From the sound of your report, you seem satisfied with the result, and now some time with wife in the aftermath. But, you're back at work today with many motor projects. The Tazer experiment by Rob Geibel is one I have wanted to try too. I mentioned this combination to Richard Mack. A soft euro motor is not a bad idea. In fact, Topkat did something interesting, he put his F1 motor in his ES32 and it worked really well. I have put a euro motor in a Bulldog and ran 3.3s on my home track, only .3 off the usual eurosport best time. It didn't surprise me at all. I'd like to see a Mack eurosport combining element of the Bulldog and the Tazer. It would be very interesting to see how much horsepower the Tazer could take before diminishing returns sets in. Anyway Mic, thanks for sharing the race report, sounds like the usual mix of success with bad luck. Where's the last race on the 14th?

My buddy Andrew Eldridge brought the UK black and Steve Whitt found a garage for loan so we are putting track up Friday night and racing Saturday then taking it back down . Lou Pirro is coming down Friday also to help . a lot of work for 1 race but worth it in the long run . Andrew is looking for a place where we can put the track more of a club thing with a few of us going to help out.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

A pretty mundane evening at the slot bench last night. Trued comms on Valiko eurosport arms, a couple of 22t24.5s, one kind of older with .203" comm and a new one only run once with .213", and a fairly new 23t25 that has .209" on the comm. Pulled out the Voki 10 mag and loaded up the newer 22t24.5 with new brushes. Broke it in for 15 minutes and put purple loctite on the screws for overnight drying. Tonight the motor gets its Horky 6T pinion and mounting in my older Horky Chicago Worlds chassis. I think I'm going to add the extra Speedshop spine in the front before I try it this weekend. I ran a short .047" spine between the guide tongue and the Horky spine. Gotta give that chassis a little backbone.

The Chicago Horky #1 went together quite nicely last night. I did have to change pinion once, I didn't like the mesh on the first attempt so went to a brand new Horky pinion. Also had to grind out a little more of the backside of the Voki 10 mag set up (sorry bout that Monty) to clear the axle. Then instead of putting the chassis into Speedshop spec, I went the other direction and restored it to full stock set up by putting solid pin tubes back in the front (removed the single stainless pin tube across the front) and therefore returned to routing wires through the earring clip at the front. Used some beautiful TQ ORANGE leadwire. Car looks good, time to try it out on Sunday at Slot Car Raceway, Rohnert Park, Calif. site of the 2012 USRA Scale Nats.

Tonight time to move on to ES32, clean up the car I ran at the Nats.

Slotcar Racer - what is the difference between a "Speedshop spec" Horky and the standard Horky chassis? Are there differences in handling characteristics?
    Farmingdale, NJ 07727
    732-938-5215