Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Jerry Herbert, I should have been more specific about the Speedshop "Spec". More accurately, it was the "Speedshop set up" for the Worlds in Chicago. There's a .047" piano wire from the guide tongue back to the stock spine soldered to the top of the chassis center. Stainless steel .050" pin tube for front body mount (thereby allowing for the big loopy leadwires Lee likes so much) and the two front weight were loaded with lead (I'd leave that off for SCR).
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

I thought I was going to work on ES32 last night but changed plans. This Cheetah X25 chassis has been sitting in the "holding area" (the procrastination zone) waiting to be built.

[IMG]DSCN4105[/IMG]

So, I went ahead and built it. I thought this might start a good discussion of this chassis. Admittedly I have been more involved in eurosport and GT12 lately, I did not participate in USRA LMP this year either. So, I am kind of behind on flexi stuff. I bought this chassis a few months ago at SCR and it has been sitting, not sure what to do with it. So, last night I did the usual flattening on the allie block....and I must say, this chassis is much better than the Cheetah 11s I have worked on, it is a lot flatter out of the bag and seems much easier to set up straight.

The first thing I noticed is the rear pan movement. At least on mine, it was locked up for side play, and it seemed like the only way to get any movement is to grab each pan and bend outward which must be doing something to that little strap across the front that holds the two sides together. I did this until it was no longer BINDING. It has maybe .003" sideplay now, but certainly not as much as it could have. However, it looks like with no play, the chassis has the potential to act like a spring with side loading on the track, and I find that very interesting.

Anyway, this thing now has my interest. Any ideas out there as to using a C Can motor versus a 16D motor in this chassis? With ISRA Nats coming up in Phillie, I might use this chassis in either B Production or Group 10.....oh yeah, I guess I better try both....

The decision between the X-25 and C-11 all comes down to how you want to drive the thing. For me the C-11 is a better car on the tracks I have tried them both on, but the X-25 isn't far off either. I have an X-25 and it makes a good GP-10 car for me which I think is because it has less power than a C can motor and I can still get on it hard out of the corners. For me I found with the X-25 that I had to wait for the car to get straight before I laid the power down, which is not what I like to do. On the other hand, others that I race with have gone exclusively to the X-25 for all ISRA flexi car racing.
    Farmingdale, NJ 07727
    732-938-5215

Slotcar Racer
    I run an x-25 for b=pro and like it a lot .I changed the bite bar to .047 and just brace the rear axle standoffs the guide tongue probably could use some bracing .My x-25 has about .012 side play your's seems tight .don't know if Jerry has played with the chassis yet but if I ran a c-11 like he does I wouldn't have tried the x-25 . I also run the os-82 Porsche body on it you probably want to try that body anyway for Phillie a lot of us run them. I find I can run the corners harder with the X-25 then my c-11 kinda like the tazer .I will also be building 1 for g-10 .
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

I pretty much agree with the comments Jerry made regarding the X25 and the C 11 chassis. It seems that the X 25 really shines as a GP-10 car but with the additional power of a C can motor and a lower down force body the C 11 is still the way to go in B production. The X25 for me and a number of other racers locally has proved to be much faster than then the C 11 in GP-10 the only C 11 I have seen recently that is competitive was Jerry's. At our local track The Race Place the fastest GP-10 cars are able to dip below 4.4 on certain lanes. Other then the one car I already mentioned they are all X 25's.

There are a few things I have noticed with the X 25 that seem to make it run better. The first one SR already mentioned the pans in the rear need to be spread apart ever so slightly as well as the addition of a piece of bullet proofing under the bite bar. Another is in the front of the car, the guide tongue on both the chassis I have were either level or had a slight downward angel. This needs to be fixed and does make a big difference in the cars performance on the track. The other thing to experiment with is the bite bar they are not all created equal...
    The Race Place raceplaceinfo.com
    Bowskateer founding member #3
    Get a 3rd EYE Fetroller 2.1
    Balanced by Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    I find I can run the corners harder with the X-25 then my c-11 kinda like the tazer .
    Interesting. I wasn't a fan of the way the tazer drove; felt like I had to wait on it out of the corner with a c can motor just like I do with the X-25, however it wasn't bad with a eurosport motor. Seems like its all dependent on driving style...
    Farmingdale, NJ 07727
    732-938-5215

Slotcar racer,
    do I remember that a while ago in this thread you mentioned an 80p 14t(?) pinion that allows you to run 80p gears with a Falcon? Who makes the pinion?
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by fred_bloggs View Post
    Slotcar racer,
    do I remember that a while ago in this thread you mentioned an 80p 14t(?) pinion that allows you to run 80p gears with a Falcon? Who makes the pinion?
    Phil
    Phil, those are Sonic pinions. I seem to remember I ran 15:44 in a 32 Production a few years ago. Not sure if you can still get those pinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry123 View Post
    Interesting. I wasn't a fan of the way the tazer drove; felt like I had to wait on it out of the corner with a c can motor just like I do with the X-25, however it wasn't bad with a eurosport motor. Seems like its all dependent on driving style...
    Jerry, although I am only in the process of building my first X25 so no testing yet, what you've written in both your posts is sort of what I anticipate...but I want to keep an open mind..I've been surprised so many times. There are analogies to be drawn between the X25 and the spring steel "flex" theory chassis...those would be the old Speedshop eurosport, S7 Asp 4, and Mack's Stinger & Tazer. The analogy for the C11 is more like any spring steel chassis with moving pans. I found the "flex" chassis can be blazing fast, but you really have to know exactly how to tune them. The moving pans like Bulldog,Saunders Gt12, Horky & Mack eurosports and many others like these have always been easier for me to build and drive.

I think I'm ready for the race at lous in June but I'm still up in the air with gear choice in group 10 and B-production,Ive been testing at our track but it's a grandstand not a flat track,Ive only been on the super 8 twice with each one but was definately geared wrong no matter what I'll still have fun
    TEAM B.O.W
    In memory of Gordy Root a great mentor and friend
    One time at Slotnerds camp

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry123 View Post
    Jerry your right about driving style.You are 1 of the best I on the other hand am still trying to figure it out.I Hope I'm improving with each race when I get the timing right the x-25 just seems to go into the corners harder and through them faster I can pretty much jump on mine coming out also .the tazer still needs some tuning your track and the UK it was good speed zone it was real bad way to much bite there.The more I use the x-25 the better it seems to get maybe the chassis is softening up a little with use.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

What I have noticed with the X25 and the X24/C11 is that the X25 is a better for a person with a slow braking finger or likes to go really hot into a turn. But the car does not like to come out of the turn hard. I think that is because it is short and stiff and wants to drive around its self.

On the other Hand the X24/C11 does not like to to be stuffed into the turn as hard. But you can really hammer it out of the turn. I think this is because the chassis is a bit more flexible and a bit longer allowing it plant the tires better.

Two cars that require the driver to adjust.
    It would really be interesting to see how the X25 would be if it was .030 thick. Maybe it would be the best of both worlds and they can call it the X26.

-Mike
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

Or you could just mill off .005 as some do already!!!
    Racing now at Wanker Valley Raceway and awaiting puppies!!

Not a mill a surface grinder works better lol

Heads up!! Bring your calipers!!!
    Racing now at Wanker Valley Raceway and awaiting puppies!!