Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

I agree with mike. I think I am the only person regularly racing a X25 on the Tuesday night flexy races at Mid-America on the Monster. I kinda gave up on the X25 until I spotted Paul G was racing one at the Nats, and it was going very nicely. So since then I have only race the X25, I am getting there but am still a way behind the Mazer's and Fiedler's. I think Mike is correct about slow braking finger, I use a thumb controller which is slower than a finger controller, I have also started to use a little choke to get it out of the corners better. But it does dive into corners hard, sometimes I am surprised it stays on. We are switching from the Falcon 7 to the Hawk 7, and the change really appears to help the X25. The Hawk 7 feels a little smoother and revs higher, but it has definitely helped.

Graham
    Last edited by fastg; 05-06-2011 at 07:11 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    Slotcar Racer
    I run an x-25 for b=pro and like it a lot .I changed the bite bar to .047 and just brace the rear axle standoffs the guide tongue probably could use some bracing .My x-25 has about .012 side play your's seems tight .don't know if Jerry has played with the chassis yet but if I ran a c-11 like he does I wouldn't have tried the x-25 . I also run the os-82 Porsche body on it you probably want to try that body anyway for Phillie a lot of us run them. I find I can run the corners harder with the X-25 then my c-11 kinda like the tazer .I will also be building 1 for g-10 .
    Mic, I would think this chassis would work well with a C Can in it, and you've found a few mods to your liking. Read again what Jerry says about the exit speed of the X25, I think that is important and says something about not only the chassis, but driving style as well. Sometimes we get too caught up in the equipment and forget that there are things in driving also. Jerry basically says that the X25 is more of a "point and shoot" ride for him. What's important about that is some drivers are more point and shoot, some like to carry more speed all the way through the corner and get on it at the exit of the turn. I watched the Czechs carefully in Chicago and saw that their driving style was very much point and shoot, they kept the car quite neat and tight in the corners and launched into the straightaways....very intricate driving style.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff714 View Post
    I pretty much agree with the comments Jerry made regarding the X25 and the C 11 chassis. It seems that the X 25 really shines as a GP-10 car but with the additional power of a C can motor and a lower down force body the C 11 is still the way to go in B production. The X25 for me and a number of other racers locally has proved to be much faster than then the C 11 in GP-10 the only C 11 I have seen recently that is competitive was Jerry's. At our local track The Race Place the fastest GP-10 cars are able to dip below 4.4 on certain lanes. Other then the one car I already mentioned they are all X 25's.

There are a few things I have noticed with the X 25 that seem to make it run better. The first one SR already mentioned the pans in the rear need to be spread apart ever so slightly as well as the addition of a piece of bullet proofing under the bite bar. Another is in the front of the car, the guide tongue on both the chassis I have were either level or had a slight downward angel. This needs to be fixed and does make a big difference in the cars performance on the track. The other thing to experiment with is the bite bar they are not all created equal...
    At this point, Jeff, I am going to put my 16D motor in the X25 when I go up to SCR on Sunday. Need to wait until I get there for installation because I do not yet have a 10T 72 pitch pinion! We have some Starfighters on order and I learned that there is a long version and a short version....true? Any feedback from you Starfighter pilots on the long or short? I tend to agree with the assessment of using a C11 for B Prod, at least in theory. Yes, lower downforce body you'd probably want more mechanical grip via the chassis. For now I'm planning to stay with my favorite C11 for that class. I need to paint up some other bodies as Mic suggested the Porsche....yes, that does look like a decent body, should try one. Jeff, I did check my guide tongue last night as I did the guide installation, it actually looked really good. When I got the rear axle/gear/tires set up on it with the guide and braid, it looked really good on the tech block....just a slight upward tilt to the guide. But you're right, if that guide is level or pointing down slightly, you may as well take up bowling, your slotcars will be SLOW.

Quote Originally Posted by fastg View Post
    I agree with mike. I think I am the only person regularly racing a X25 on the Tuesday night flexy races at Mid-America on the Monster. I kinda gave up on the X25 until I spotted Paul G was racing one at the Nats, and it was going very nicely. So since then I have only race the X25, I am getting there but am still a way behind the Mazer's and Fiedler's. I think Mike is correct about slow braking finger, I use a thumb controller which is slower than a finger controller, I have also started to use a little choke to get it out of the corners better. But it does dive into corners hard, sometimes I am surprised it stays on. We are switching from the Falcon 7 to the Hawk 7, and the change really appears to help the X25. The Hawk 7 feels a little smoother and revs higher, but it has definitely helped.

Graham
    Hi Graham, yes I've been watching your results at Mid America, thumbs up : ) Paul has really liked the X25 since it came out, but there is one thing to keep in mind, he is probably running it to figure it out for the ISRA Production class at The Worlds.....I think he probably wants to win that race along with the rest. So, I wouldn't subscribe to the philosophy "If Gawronski Runs It, Then I Should Run It". Keep in mind that guy could run a Parma Flexi 1 and be competitive....his driving capability is unreal. If you haven't set up any C11s yet, you really should. Be sure to try EVERYTHING and make up your mind only after fully testing stuff. There's four C11s you can try: 1) All .030", 2) .030" center, .025" pans (my favorite), 3) .025" center, .030" pans and 4) all .025".

I agree the two chassis need to be driven a little differently that makes a lot of sense given the physical deferences between the chassis. So far on the Red Lighting at our home track The Race Place. The X25 has been consistently faster race after race in Gp-10. The combination of the heavier motor with the heavier chassis seem to marry up well together.

SR, the star fighter is a excellent body for Gp-10! I happen to like the way the short works with my X25 better then the long version. But that also seem to be a matter of personal preference as some of the guys I race with use the long version and do quite well with it...
    The Race Place raceplaceinfo.com
    Bowskateer founding member #3
    Get a 3rd EYE Fetroller 2.1
    Balanced by Bill

Anyone have a pic of the StarFighter
    Resident Curmudgeon
    "Manta" Ray Price

scale fighter

Mantaray
    Hope this helps the 1 on the left is the long and on the right is the short
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scale fighter.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	8672  

Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Mic, thanks for posting the photo.

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    I think I'm ready for the race at lous in June but I'm still up in the air with gear choice in group 10 and B-production,Ive been testing at our track but it's a grandstand not a flat track,Ive only been on the super 8 twice with each one but was definately geared wrong no matter what I'll still have fun
    7-43 seems to work well in B-Production on the Super-8. Not sure what the gear the group 10 at....
    Last edited by Jerry123; 05-06-2011 at 04:13 PM. Reason: corrected track name
    Farmingdale, NJ 07727
    732-938-5215

Well got 2 complete motors built 1 12 and 1 cont Begenis hemi wound arms in the cahozza set ups for 36 bucks and change with t-2s. I honed them to .555 .3 other setups same good bargain honed to .560 for .550 dia. arms and last I built a 12 motor with some proto type ceramic mags they have a .015 longer tip on them honed to .555 with a 45 degree Bow 12 arm sounds awesome on power supply .Have 4 more setups to do for a friend of John Madest from PA. then going to start a euro build for my buddy Jersey Jayro and 4 cahoza setups with t-5's and BOW arms .then I get to prep for N.E Isra Race in 8 days boy this hobby is a lot of work. LOL
    Last edited by Mic Byrd; 05-07-2011 at 07:05 AM.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Slotcar Racer
    I totally agree with what Jerry has said .I myself am still trying to figure out my style coming from a wing back ground never racing flat track or scale you know running from glue patch to glue patch scale is IMHO a lot harder. I seem to run best when being pushed by someone like jerry 1 because I need to hold them off for a few laps just for self respect reasons .the other is I'm keeping the power up on the car .I do get a little caught up in the equipment side because thats where I excel best . Would have liked to be a little better driver by know but getting to the track has been hard do to the bad building industry around here and most of the country.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    Slotcar Racer
    I totally agree with what Jerry has said .I myself am still trying to figure out my style coming from a wing back ground never racing flat track or scale you know running from glue patch to glue patch scale is IMHO a lot harder. I seem to run best when being pushed by someone like jerry 1 because I need to hold them off for a few laps just for self respect reasons .the other is I'm keeping the power up on the car .I do get a little caught up in the equipment side because thats where I excel best . Would have liked to be a little better driver by know but getting to the track has been hard do to the bad building industry around here and most of the country.
    Oh wow, I didn't realize you're a former air car racer. Hard transition to scale, but you are approaching it in absolutely the right way. Stay on top of the equipment for sure. I remember what Lee Gilbert used to say, he was a bit self deprecating about his driving. He'd say that he'd have to build cars at least a few tenths faster than anyone to have any chance. Of course, when we heard that we'd just say, "yeah, yeah, right Lee". But I find the same is true as I don't consider myself that FAST of a driver. Consistent yes, fast no. But even at this last USRA Nats, like you Mic, I found myself following the really fast guys like Roy Hood and Mike Mazur who know the track so well, I could learn a lot from them...and I did! They went faster than I could figure out in several areas of the Monster. So Mic, keep getting caught up in the equipment side....that's the part you have immediate control over. The racing part is the one that takes time...you can't buy and build driving experience!!!

I too have had an x25 sitting on the wall. With all this info, I'm also in the midst of setup for grp10 for the last N.W. challenge series race at P.S.C.R.. If all goes well I'll be putting it up against you at the flats. HA HA. See you at the Slugfest, Chuck

Thanks for the pics of the Star Fighter. What is this one?

Super high dams on side..................AR 1 on the rear
    Resident Curmudgeon
    "Manta" Ray Price

Maybe, just maybe it is a x-26!!!
    Racing now at Wanker Valley Raceway and awaiting puppies!!