Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

John, you got 'em for me to paint...........who are they made by?
    Resident Curmudgeon
    "Manta" Ray Price

Some guy in Florida,got them on ebay
    Racing now at Wanker Valley Raceway and awaiting puppies!!

Just checked-it is called Speedville gtp ar-1 listed now in ebay item #2005922550708
    Racing now at Wanker Valley Raceway and awaiting puppies!!

Thanks John, I will paint up one for you next week..........
    Resident Curmudgeon
    "Manta" Ray Price

Saturday was painting day, I probably put too much time in on them considering how much testing I have lined up for today. I have to kind of rush to load up a new PK arm in my 18 mag. It's a new arm, needs a couple of hundred laps to get it good and heated up so I can send it out for grinding tomorrow. I sprayed up three each of Audi R10 long version, Audi R8 and Outisight Bent Lee....these bodies for two upcoming events. The R10 longs and the O/S Bents are for Slugfest in Seattle on Memorial Day weekend...the R8s are for B Production in July. I also need to get a hold of some O/S Porsche as previously suggested, give them a try on the B Prod.

Today's testing is primarily for a more immediate race, next weekend at SCR. My B Production is in "Falcon Mode" right now with a JK Products BMW body (SCR's formula for "Falcon LMP"), Bulldog #1 is in NORCAL trim....bushings, small diameter armature, HD body....and not sure which eurosport to run yet, but two Horkys and my Mack to choose from. Also need to test the two JRLs especially the new Mack, it hasn't hit the track yet. Today's test should require a lot of punches to the time card....
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Oooooops....glad I checked the SCR schedule, closed for Mother's Day today. Wife and I have had a nice morning "together"....her doing aerobics and watching American Idol recordings, me mounting the O/S Bent Lees, and we saw daughter and Grandson on Skype.
    [IMG]photo-1[/IMG]

Gotta walk beagles this afternoon and get a NORCAL race report from CRASH CODGER...sounds like he won NASCAR, 4.5" Truck and GT12 but came in 5th in LMP....apparently couldn't keep track of all his cars. I'll hear about it.....
    Last edited by Slotcar Racer; 05-08-2011 at 11:57 AM.

Ask him about the 11 year old who gave him a run for his money in Nascar and Nastruck

Hey Ingram! Are you Alan? Nice meeting you yesterday if so, but the cigar has to go. After our talk and finally introducing ourselves by name, I stated that I thought I had heard mention of you before but not sure where. I wish you luck on your future travels and hope to keep in touch. Oh! and not to fully rob this blog, Fred did well but at our ages endurance can be a four letter word. He wasn't able to take a break before the LMP race and get some energy stored up. He and I go back to '67 when we first started mixing up the bay area guys and Sacto guys. Gus in Sacto

Good news for me Monty is shipping my 16D motors out and they are the first ones off the new grinder,more concentric,cant wait till they are here now to get some more bodies painted and a couple chassis done.I`m ready finally cept for room reservations Fatboy
    TEAM B.O.W
    In memory of Gordy Root a great mentor and friend
    One time at Slotnerds camp

Due to staying home on account of Mother's Day (and with my wife at work) there was no test sessions yesterday. I guess I can be thankful for not using up 80 miles worth of gasoline and a bridge toll....but we do have a race this coming Saturday. Having heard the NORCAL race report from CRASH CODGER I am more and more convinced that the Koford G12 arms work best with an 8T pinion on flat tracks, at least for the majority of the time.

With the afternoon at home (except for the beagle walk) I continued mounting bodies. All three O/S Bent Lees are mounted, I did three different spoiler heights to test in Seattle: 1.600", 1.685" and 1.730". With that body the higher spoiler is not necessarily the way to go, the lower mount puts the body pretty close to on top of the motor and we've found this works well....but I will try the "jacked up" spoiler as well. Managed to get one of the Audi R10 LONG version mounted on a Horky Eurosport. It is going to be interesting to test three different bodies on the Horky eurosport this coming Saturday. The Audi R10 LONG (Seattle Slugfest), the Audi R8 Coupe (ISRA Nats) and the Audi R10 ISRA (ISRA Nats). I am going to venture to predict all three will yield similar lap times, but with a qualitative difference in driving characteristics. Report will follow on that.

I pulled the brand new PK 19t25 out of the 18 mag small block last night for a number of reasons. First, too much endplay of the armature in the set up. Not sure how it ended up so loose, but it needed two .007" spacers to make it right. Also, I had not ground the shaft to 1.5" close enough to the can bearing so the spur gear was only halfway on the pinion. These were two non negotiable mistakes that needed correction. So, I got the arm respaced and ground the shaft in about another 1mm, and then the real fun began.

Yup, back to the gear mesh wars. It was me against the eurosport, mano a mano. Going to a knife fight with a knife. I soldered the pinion on and mounted the motor. Before soldering in the back of the motor, I did a test of the mesh and it sounded "OK" but not fantastic. Soldered in the rear and then added the wheel opposite the gear side. Sounded like hell. Tried aligning the pinion, still no good. Time for a dinner break.

After the dinner break, I had this idea of trying 72 pitch again, maybe I'd magically get a great mesh and the 6:40 gear ratio works well at SCR. I tried three different pinions and none of them worked with a Cahoza 44T 72 pitch spur. Several curse words later, I put the 72 pitch away and redoubled efforts with 80 pitch. I pulled a pinion off the 455 tall single mag motor, I had put it one at The Nats so it was sitting in the box. Yesterday I did order two more Horky 6T pinions from Dave Harvey at Won O Won, he seems to be really good at keeping those unobtainium pinions in stock. Anyway, I eventually got the last pinion to work. And, this is all to prepare for just running this brand new arm for a couple of hundred laps so I can pull it back out of the set up and send it to The Old Man in Appomattox for grinding. That's a lot of work. But then again, what else is there to do with time?

George, I am not sure why you are having trouble with your 80p gear mesh. I can tell you that you need both tires on to check the mesh. Without the outside tire on the mesh will be different. I use ARP pinions both EDM and non EDM. I find these gears to work just as well as a Horky. The reason for a bad gear mesh is usually an under cut shaft. It doesn't take much to through the gear mesh off. The only fix is to reheat the pinion, spin it and try again. I have had to do this on problem cars sometimes as many a 5 to 10 times to get it right. There is one other thing that can cause problems. If your gear mesh is too tight it will make the mesh even worse. Gears are not quite round. Set the mesh so that one side has no slop and at 180 degrees you can feel just a touch or slop. I have never had to though an ARP pinion out.

I agree with Lee. The ARP 80p pinions have been great for me. Work well enough that I have not had to search for another pinion. I have tried EDM 72p from other manufacturers with good luck also, but only when I cant get ARP.
    Dub
    "Dub" Wade
    Nampa, ID
    208-392-0639
    dustynwade@ymail.com
    Dub Motors, Dub Rides, Dub Winged bodies, PMP Chassis, Paint by Odie, Bone Bodies.
    Of course Balance by Beuf
    3rd Eye Controllers

Lee, I don't know if you noticed what you wrote, but you said it takes 5 to 10 times sometimes to get it right. That is exactly what I am talking about. You're right that I've written about this before, and I think it bears repeating because a good gear mesh on a eurosport is absolutely necessary. I appreciate the suggestions and stuff, but mostly I am trying to point out that "to get it right" you cannot be at all compromising. It takes a lot of patience to do it right. With eurosport you are working with the most costly of slot cars, it is just plain silly to do anything but perfection....you're wasting time and money if it ain't perfect!

The last time I posted on this topic, I went to SCR and I bought a couple of ARP EDM pinions from Frank. I tried more than 5-10 times and never got it to work. I gave up on the ARP EDM pinions. On the same afternoon I bought a couple of the less expensive non EDM ARP pinions and those worked with no problem at all! In addition, the Horky pinions are no problem. So, I am completely stumped on the ARP EDM pinions. I know the tricks to make a good gear mesh, but apparently I don't have the trick for that particular gear.
    Last edited by Slotcar Racer; 05-10-2011 at 04:25 PM. Reason: I felt like editing what I wrote. Editing is cool.

With the afternoon at home (except for the beagle walk) I continued mounting bodies. All three O/S Bent Lees are mounted, I did three different spoiler heights to test in Seattle: 1.600", 1.685" and 1.730". With that body the higher spoiler is not necessarily the way to go, the lower mount puts the body pretty close to on top of the motor and we've found this works well....but I will try the "jacked up" spoiler as well.
    George, I usually cut my Bent Lee's at 1.685". This seems to work the best for me. Usually going taller just slows you down. And we keep the bite up pretty well on the track so the higher body doesn't help. It has been a LONG time since I ran as low as 1.6". Oh, and these measurements are flat on the block without the tire clearance

BTW: I've been running the X25 in our "Adv LMP" class with the Hawk 7 and a JK BMW V12 body. It has been very good for me. I like the shorter JK body over the long R10 on this chassis. I have yet to try this chassis with the C-Can in it.
    Gary Johnson