Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Slot Racer,
    Is Dave Harvey the only way to get Horky Pinions? I want to try one. Your a good salesman.. lol
    Also, whats your opinion on Mid America EDM pinions? I have had good luck with them also.
    Dub
    "Dub" Wade
    Nampa, ID
    208-392-0639
    dustynwade@ymail.com
    Dub Motors, Dub Rides, Dub Winged bodies, PMP Chassis, Paint by Odie, Bone Bodies.
    Of course Balance by Beuf
    3rd Eye Controllers

Finished 4 setups and repaired 1 other will send out tommorrow.Have to start prep work for saturday race . friday will be spent setting up track in temp location for saturday race. I have 3 6t pinions and have never had a problem with gear mesk just lucky I guess I belive they are ARP but not sure I know there not horky . Will just clean up euro and mount new body for race saturday. Will post about proto type ceramic mags sunday going to run 12 motor with them saturday.Also finished big block euro motor .610 can Valiko singles BOW >500 dia 20t of 25.5 21 degree timing honed to .518 sounds very good on power supply my buddy Jersey jayro should be very happy with it.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

OK, new path for the 18 mag small block with the new PK arm, it’s getting pulled out of Horky #1 and moving over to the Mack which I will use to break in that arm….if there’s time on Saturday. As for Horky #1, there will be a choice between the two .480” tall set ups, both with Valiko arms. One is a 22t24.5, the other 23t25 which sounds ultra smooth. Horky #2 has the new Voki 10 mag with the new 22t24.5 in it. Sounds like Mic’s eurosport and C Can program is moving forward really nicely. Good to know that there is slotcar industrial activity in this world. We look forward to your post about the proto C Can mags on Sunday.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

George,

When I said 5 to 10 times on the gear spin that was a worst case situation with an under sized shaft. I put a ARP EDM pinion on a new Horky eurosport I built for Chris Chakires for this weekend and it took one spin to to get it right. I do agree that the ARP non EDM 6t 80p does mesh better than the EDM version. I can't explain why.

Kind of a short evening of work, only had a brief amount of time after a meeting at our union hall. Needed a .500" hone for bearing installation on some .500" eurosport motor set ups. Time to get those bearings replaced. Took a .510" and turned it down to .502" on the Unimat, then cleaned up really nicely on the Hudy comm truer down to exactly .500". Tonight will replace bearings on two motors using the new plug.

George,

Needed a .500" hone for bearing installation on some .500" eurosport motor set ups. Took a .510" and turned it down to .502" on the Unimat, then cleaned up really nicely on the Hudy comm truer down to exactly .500".
    Did you mean to say you turned down a hone? Or a slug? I'm betting a slug! I just picked up an Emco Compact 5 lathe that I want to use for making new slugs. I figure I'll pick up a few extra 2mm axles and use them for the shafts on the slugs. For the slug material I picked up some steel rod at Lowes a while back that was 5/8" diameter that machines very nicely. I've made some slugs for zapping magnets with it and it works great.

Hopefully I'll get some time tonight to mask up a few bodies to pain tomorrow for this weekends last series race. I need 2 more GTP bodies. My Gp10 car body is pretty banged up, and I want to mount up a body on the Tazer to test it out compared to the BD/BD2 chassis. Whichever one is fastest on Sunday will get raced.
    Gary Johnson

slug

Sorry Gary, you're right, this is what I meant...

Hey nice slug George! You bringing that with you when you come up for the race in a couple weeks?

Looks like I'm going to be running OMO as well. I picked up another G27L chassis to use for the OMO race. Can't beleive I am actually getting into running those crazy WING things!

Looking forward to racing with you again! Let's try and grab a bite/drink someplace Saturday after the races.
    Gary Johnson

Glad you like my slug Gary. Actually, I got home from work and finished it off on the comm truer, came out right at .500". Knocked the old bearing out my my 10 mag small block, then used the slug to put in a new bearing. Installed a fairly new PK 23t25 and right now it is breaking in in the slot room. I've got to put pinions on three motors for Saturday. Lee said he is putting a wing body on one of his Speedshop eurosports for OMO and will literally cut the cars that fall off the track to ribbons. I really want to watch that, it could be very gruesome indeed. Hey, I like your idea about grabbing a bite to eat on Saturday night! See ya in a few weeks, it's gonna be a lot of fun, I can't wait.

Last night I got one of my .480T set ups in Horky #2 for Saturday. This motor is a Valiko 23t25 and it's a Horky pinion, those are the ones I buy from Dave Harvey in the UK whom I contact at progressiveaudio@blueyonder.co.uk

His service is second to none....I almost think Dave is at his computer 24/7/365 waiting for orders. Shameless plug. Anyway, as usual the results with this pinion are flawless. I took your advice, Lee, and did this motor mount with BOTH tires on the car. See, Slotcar Racer can change and try new things. I had to put on my Lee Gilbert Approved Visor to get in close and see the backlash movement, then tacked that puppy in. It sounded a little rough at first, but then I hit the solder with the motor turning very slowly and it went TOTALLY SILENT. What a nice mesh, and a relief to get it finally. So, for tomorrow I'll have two Horkys and my favorite Mack, a Falcon flexi car with JK Products BMW, and a NORCAL legal GT12. I plan to leave around 11am tomorrow to get up to Frank's right at noon. Beagles will have to fend for themselves until I get home, but they will just sleep on the sofa.

DSCN3831
    Last edited by Slotcar Racer; 05-13-2011 at 12:03 PM.

Just home from 2 long days Friday from 2:00 pm Till 1:15 am we moved and set up track ran into a few problems but we over came them .back at Al's garage 8:30 am couldn't make any earlier had a blast racing all day was great to be back on UK Black .hopefully we will find a more permanent home for before long. Jrl was very good with a .555 Dia stinger T5 mags Cahoza set up very smooth and plenty of power my old HNR chassis repair rear axle upright are about worn out and I couldn't keep a gear in it . Bpro was good and 12 was good euro was much better the I was but had a good race. Pôrto Type mags in 12 motor didn't make the race motor motor sound more like a euro then a 12 but couldn't get in to hook up it had a whole lot of low end torque try 3 different sets of tires .Need to give it some more air and think I'll have something very solid .Last;y steve Whitt won open 12 with a tazer set up by Andrew Eldrigde new owner of the UK Black and this car was outstanding ran low 3.2's in race best euro time was 2.9 and you couldn't keep up through the corners so all you tazer owers don't give up on them because they do work.
    Last edited by Mic Byrd; 05-14-2011 at 07:35 PM.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Race report from Slot Car Raceway, Rohnert Park, Calif., Site of the 2012 USRA Scale Nationals.

Got to the raceway at Noon and found the usual bunch setting up for the race. Three racers came down from Reno, Nevada. Bluey was there as was Chris Chakires of Livermore, Calif. Local heroes Ryan McDaniel and John Allbright also attended. Thomas Ostrand was there but said he should have stayed home all night.

First race was the Falcon Flexi class run with JK Products LMP bodies. Chakires had a speed edge on me with a motor that sounded like a Junior Super Wasp, but he ran into problems early in the race and fell back a number of laps. Chris had fast time of 4.500 on black and I did a 4.609 on yellow. I managed to finish the race in first with Chris only a few laps behind due to the fact I stayed on and avoided a lot of wrecks.

Second race was GT12 using the restricted NORCAL rules. Maximum arm diameter .518”, no shunts, axle bushings and high downforce body. In this race my car was quite competitive for speed. The motor is a new Cahoza T5 set up and a Koford G12 arm Balance By Beuf. Chassis was my first Bulldog, the one that won the 2009 Cobalt 12 Eurosport race in Chicago. The chassis is still a great one. Parma HD Caddy. The race was run as a round robin, so kind of hard to tell who was in the lead, but I knew I was doing really well. Started on red after being first sit out. The car worked incredibly well on red and I had an excellent heat. Moving down the drivers panel I got to black and was turning some very fast lap times when all of a sudden there was an object in my lane going into the tunnels after the donut. This is a full punch donut, so the car is really flying. The car came out the other side with a broken gear…in fact, the teeth were pretty much shredded off the entire circumference. Race control said we were only halfway through the heat….a minute and a half to go. I went into broken gear mode, shut off the brakes and used what was left of the gear to glide the car around the track for the longest 90 seconds I can remember. I don’t think we had any more track calls either which was good.

A friend of mine moved my troller to yellow and I went to work changing the gear….lane change only 1.2 minutes. This was a messy change. I had to pull a gear off my USRA GT12 because I left my gears at home. Nice. Yanked the broken gear off and told myself to slow down so I would work faster. Phew, got the new gear in, 15 seconds to go, the 20 second beep already sounded. Gear side tire back on…10 second beep….hand off car to donut turn marshall, the guy on purple hands me my troller….3, 2, 1….phew, the car works. OK, now we have a lot of catch up. I decided not to worry about the outcome of the race, just keep going as fast as possible. I finish on white in the esses with lap average of 41.6 laps. I look at the other lap averages and mine is the highest. I removed my glasses and rubbed my eyes, then looked again. Yes, that is what it said. Next highest average was Ryan with 40.6, but he still has yellow, orange and white to run. When he moves to orange he is at 41.2, then when he goes to white he is at 41.7 and I know I have 2nd place in the bag. Three minutes later, race is over, race control hits F8 and my name is at the top with 388 and Ryan with 388….his car is in the deadman just past the lap counter. I couldn’t believe it. Almost the same as the Nats race.

Eurosport was a different matter. I had two good Horky cars to choose from, and I chose the older car with the .480”T single mag, it was running well in practice. I ended up in third though, Chris Chakires winning with a freshly rebuilt Speedshop eurosport (Horky with Mystery Motor) and Jason Hooper of Reno, NV got 2nd also running a Horky with a 12 mag set up and 20t25 Valiko. Chris and Jason’s cars were more consistent than mine, I think I need to tear down that chassis, unsolder the whole thing, clean the parts, check everything for alignment and flatness, then rebuild it. I didn’t feel I could consistently hammer the car like I once could. Both Chris and Jason ran good races, Jason’s body looked like new after the race! The car Chris ran did not sound good, it was kind of grindy in the gear mesh so you could tell where it was on the track really easily, but the car shuffled around the track very quickly and again, consistently.

Overall, the event was really fun, a great group of guys to play with, lots of laughs and good humor. Oh yeah, and the tri tip dip sandwich was really good at Black Bear Diner before the race. As I was leaving, I ran into Howard 3rd Eye! He needed a recharge too.

As I suspected, not all was well with the Horky I ran last night. I tore it down today and put it on the aluminum block and found quite a downward bow in the center of the chassis. So, as the photo illustrates, time to disassemble the chassis and flatten and align all the rails. This might look kind of scarey, but the Horky comes apart really easily and all you have to do is completely clean all the solder off the parts so everything fits back together again without forcing it. Then just solder it back together.

DSCN4117

Slotcar Racer
    unlike you I have been very lazy the last 2 days haven't even taken my box out of the truck since race Saturday but start back at it tomorrow . going to build 3 chassis #1 1/32 mossetti euro #2 Mack JRL and #3 HNR JRL all for myself .What in your opinion is a good wind for 1/32 euro? will post some pic's as they are completed
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Mic, I still run a 23t25, but I am trying a 25t25 with lower timing and also working on a completely different ES32 motor design...more on that later. Also have some PK on order .250" stacks, one is a 25t25.5. I have trouble telling any difference with any of this stuff to tell ya the truth! Mic, I tried my new Mack JRL on Saturday and it gets a great big OMG! Wow, that works really well. Incredibly stable runner. I built it as shown in earlier posts, put it on the track and it was perfect. What a great chassis designer Richard Mack. And on Saturday my Bulldog #1 was perfect.