Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

In all the ISRA Open 12 racing I have done, I've never seen any advantage to spending so much money on an Open 12 chassis when there are so many excellent GT12 chassis on the market. All of Richard Mack's chassis are incredible.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    In all the ISRA Open 12 racing I have done, I've never seen any advantage to spending so much money on an Open 12 chassis when there are so many excellent GT12 chassis on the market. All of Richard Mack's chassis are incredible.
    Agreed George, Richard's work and design is top notch. I really want to see his new JRL in action. Of course then I will probably have to buy one...

What is the difference between his new JRL and his old JRL?
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

SR,

I'm sorry to say after dropping a bunch of money on an open 12 chassis it seem you are absolutely right... My Mack Bulldog 2 so far runs away from the open chassis on the track... I'm going to try the open chassis with a euro motor...
    The Race Place raceplaceinfo.com
    Bowskateer founding member #3
    Get a 3rd EYE Fetroller 2.1
    Balanced by Bill

Quote Originally Posted by mazur50 View Post
    Mike, I do not believe there is a "new" Mack JRL. Correct me if I'm wrong Rocky, perhaps you thought the Mack JRL is a new product? Actually, it has been around for at least a year now, maybe you just now noticed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff714 View Post
    SR,

I'm sorry to say after dropping a bunch of money on an open 12 chassis it seem you are absolutely right... My Mack Bulldog 2 so far runs away from the open chassis on the track... I'm going to try the open chassis with a euro motor...
    Richard emailed me recently and said that his Open 12 chassis is faster than the Dog, but it is harder to drive. I suppose that means you can cut a fast lap with the Mack Open 12, but you can hammer on The Dog all day. I am going out on a limb by saying this, but perhaps with the big heavy C Can lump you need a simpler design....complexity is detrimental. And perhaps with the little euro lumps much more complexity is a plus. And, we have discussed the JK Products X25 chassis (simple, two piece) versus the Cheetah 11 (more moving parts....three). X25 perhaps better for D Can motors, C11 perhaps better for C Can motors? Just in theory.

What I have noticed is that the X25 is better when the track gets more stuck.

So far from my testing the C11/x24 will out perform the X25 at lease with lower downforce bodies every time on a lose track.

But the becomes alot better as it gets more sticky.

At the moment all of this test has been with small motors no C-can stuff yet.

Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

Richard emailed me recently and said that his Open 12 chassis is faster than the Dog, but it is harder to drive. I suppose that means you can cut a fast lap with the Mack Open 12, but you can hammer on The Dog all day. I am going out on a limb by saying this, but perhaps with the big heavy C Can lump you need a simpler design....complexity is detrimental. And perhaps with the little euro lumps much more complexity is a plus. And, we have discussed the JK Products X25 chassis (simple, two piece) versus the Cheetah 11 (more moving parts....three). X25 perhaps better for D Can motors, C11 perhaps better for C Can motors? Just in theory.
    SR,
    I think what you"re saying has a lot of merit at least for me it seems to be working exactly that way. I'm hoping to further that theory this weekend when I test the new GT 12 out.
    The Race Place raceplaceinfo.com
    Bowskateer founding member #3
    Get a 3rd EYE Fetroller 2.1
    Balanced by Bill

Quote Originally Posted by mazur50 View Post
    Mike the only difference I see between my new kit and my older mack jrl is the new version has an extra set of front stand offs for different front axle size 3/32 or 2 mil
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Thanks very cool thanks for the info.
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

1 down

well first 1 done needs some clean up but 1/32 mosetti chassis ready for rest of build
    nice chassis a little smaller then I'm use to but got it done soilder joints in rear need to be cleaned up a little and some sracthes polished out but a fun build and it won't rust big plus
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mosetti 2..jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	8782  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mosetti 1..jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	8783  

Last edited by Mic Byrd; 05-21-2011 at 07:07 AM.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Friday project

I enjoy my daily fix of Slot Car Racer Today getting great information about different motor and chassis programs of SR and his friends across the country.

After almost 20 years away, I am taking it slow getting back in as far as $$$. I have jumped into a Saturday night program racing Falcon Flexi's and slowly getting the hang of driving these cars without wings. This level doesn't allow for motor tweaking chassis tuning so I just read what everyone else is doing (for the moment). Well yesterday I had enough sitting back and watching so I decided to build something. All of my old equipment is buried away in storage a couple of states away, so this has been my "pit box"

Name:	IMG_1631..jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	8795Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1632..jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	8796

So I decided to put something together with some scrap material laying around.

Name:	IMG_1633..jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	8792Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1634..jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	8793

I think this will work better for now

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    well first 1 done needs some clean up but 1/32 mosetti chassis ready for rest of build
    nice chassis a little smaller then I'm use to but got it done soilder joints in rear need to be cleaned up a little and some sracthes polished out but a fun build and it won't rust big plus
    Mic, very nice job. Let me give you a suggestion, something I am going to try on my next steel chassis build. I read this in the April edition of the BSCRA journal (British Slot Car Racing Assn) an article by Richard Mack. Richard solders the parts from the BOTTOM of the chassis....apply small amount of acid flux and put the parts together, then flow the solder upward from the bottom. THat's how to make a really clean solder joint on any steel chassis. Clean up is much easier on the bottom of the chassis. Maybe if you haven't started on the next Mosetti, try it and post more photos. That's a good looking little chassis there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingram View Post
    I enjoy my daily fix of Slot Car Racer Today getting great information about different motor and chassis programs of SR and his friends across the country.

After almost 20 years away, I am taking it slow getting back in as far as $$$. I have jumped into a Saturday night program racing Falcon Flexi's and slowly getting the hang of driving these cars without wings. This level doesn't allow for motor tweaking chassis tuning so I just read what everyone else is doing (for the moment). Well yesterday I had enough sitting back and watching so I decided to build something. All of my old equipment is buried away in storage a couple of states away, so this has been my "pit box"

So I decided to put something together with some scrap material laying around.

I think this will work better for now
    Alan, superb job on the box!!! I've done woodworking in the past and just cutting a decent rectangle out of wood is no easy task...unless you have the right tools. The hardware looks good, and great design for stacking the cars. It doesn't look like a very large box, good for weekly race programs. Glad you got back into slotcars, and seems you're enjoying the switch from air cars to "scale". I think you're running at Rocklin if I'm not mistaken. Anyway, looks like you've freed up that soft bag for food to take to the track. Hope to see you around one of these days.

SR
    Thanks going to start a mack jrl next will try Richards way of doing one sounds like an easy way of doing it and much cleaner
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com