Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Mic, I'm real interested to hear how that works. Actually, I have a Mack 1/32 "Saloon" chassis to build, I guess I can try the new technique with that. But first, preparation for next weekend's Slugfest in Seattle. Leaving from Oakland Airport next Friday night at 8:15pm. Hopefully the raceway will be open late so I can stop in on the way to the hotel.

Tomorrow meeting Hermanator at SCR at 1pm, we're having a team meeting and testing the cars. Main idea is to make sure they putt putt around the track OK. I'm starting the newer Horky chassis with the 480T vertical mag set up with a Vallie 23t25. Then, I'm going to pull that motor apart and slip in the new Vallie 21t25 that came in the mail today. I predict they will run the same lap times. Yes, I know that sounds nutty, but in eurosport it just doesn't seem to make any difference what the wind is. There might be a little difference in HOW the car gets around, but the lap times just don't seem to budge. I'll have a report on Monday morning when I get back to "work".
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Mike, SR,

I think that we'll likely be running X-25s in the Worlds for quite a while. I'm very interested in trying to figure out how to tune them for all kinds of track conditions. I intend to run X-25s in B-Prod till I get good at them. On a different level, I sure wish that we ran A-prod, not B-prod, in the US. I think that they are much harder to drive.

It'll be interesting to see if the Mack JRL is faster than the HNR, which has had such a long run. Mic, are you going to run one at Lou's Birthday race?

I got my controller back from Jim Difalco. It's got the ESP brake upgrade. I didn't think that I'd use it much, as I hardly ever drive with full brakes, but it's got a button on it that you can press for full brakes now, meaning for just a corner or 2, while you remain at partial brakes for the rest of the lap. Worth a try, but I'm so old and slow that I doubt that I'll be quick enough for this. A young quick buck like Herman, Rob V,or Mike M might well be able to put it to use. More importantly, it works out well for me to ship my controller to Jim every year or two. He always finds something wrong with it that I didn't appreciate. This time it came back with the entire trigger mechanism rebuilt.

Greg
    Last edited by Greg N; 05-22-2011 at 05:30 PM. Reason: forgot something

Greg
    I'm building a new Mack jrl and a new HNR .the mack likes to run on smaller tires then the HNR IMHO I like both of them . My first mack got broke the first time it ran a friend used it and had someone come off right in front of him in a straight and it broke the front wheel off it. I never really got it right after that . but yes I will have 1 of each ready for Lou's birthday race with some new power plants. i run the x-25 for b pro and like it alot only 1 change to it and thats a .047 bite bar it seems to brake in the more you run them .
    Last edited by Mic Byrd; 05-22-2011 at 06:19 PM.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Dual Choke for my FETroller

Just thought I'd post a couple of pictures of the my choke project I worked on this weekend. I'm very happy with the how it turned out. I added one of Bill Bugenis's wire chokes. Bill was kind enough to modify one of his choke stands to work with my FET.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FET-Bugenis 2..jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	8804  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fet-Bugenis 1..jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	8805  

The Race Place raceplaceinfo.com
    Bowskateer founding member #3
    Get a 3rd EYE Fetroller 2.1
    Balanced by Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff714 View Post
    Just thought I'd post a couple of pictures of the my choke project I worked on this weekend. I'm very happy with the how it turned out. I added one of Bill Bugenis's wire chokes. Bill was kind enough to modify one of his choke stands to work with my FET.
    Just remember that when you run a wire choke on the black wire you are also going to choke the brakes on the controller and your brake will not be as good.

Mike
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

Thanks for the heads up Mike! The Fet has very strong brakes to start with so a little less shouldn't pose a problem...
    Balanced by Bill

Testing was good yesterday at Slot Car Raceway, Rohnert Park, Calif. Site of the 2006, 2008 and 2012 USRA Scale Nats. The track started out a little loose but after 15 minutes of running good rubber was laid down and lap times improved. The proprieter of the establishment notified us there was a birthday party at 2pm just one hour after opening, so I got three 15 minute segments done. Hermanator showed up just before the birthday party after going over to Third Eye Howard's house to have the CZ controller checked over. All three eurosports were running well, kind of hard to figure out which one was best. The two Horky's were for sure looser on the loose track, but the Mack was really bolted to the track...just lacked horsepower I think. If it was a race day, it would be a hard choice.

Horky #2 had the .480T vertical mag set up with Valiko 23t25 and got down to 3.27 after a number of laps. Smooth as butter power. Horky #1 also got into the high 3.2s with a Gulliver Six Mag with Valiko 23t25 ground down to .470". I believe if the track was more stuck, the second car would be the one of choice...seemed like a bit too much power for the loose track. The Mack ran low 3.3s with a .420T 10 mag with PK 23t25.

During the party, Hermanator and I stepped over to the parts dept and chose some items for the upcoming race this weekend. Next, I pulled the vertical mag motor as planned and loaded in the new Valiko 21t25. When the party cleared away at 3:30pm, we got back on the track with Parma Whisperjet tire rubber on the track. Took almost 15 minutes to clear that stuff off using Zip Grip, but eventually the track came back. The 21t25 was not as good as the 23t25 for some reason. In fact, it seemed like something was wrong with this arm, it sounded strange and halfway down the straightaway, it hit a wall like it was peaking out too soon....kind of like it had a 5T pinion.

Came home and pulled motors out of chassis for final clean up before race prep this week. I yanked that 21t25 out of the vertical and put the 23t25 back in it after grazing the comm lightly. Out of curiosity, I put the 21t25 into my favorite .480T single mag set up after lightly touching the comm. New brushes, careful set up and break in routine. I cranked it a few times and something is definitely off with that armature, I believe the balance is off. Will need to send it off the The Old Man to have it checked. That was enough activity for a day. Well, it's time to start a new school year here at the Optometry School.

This thread is way over my head sometimes, but it`s definitely the best one going right now.
    I want to try my hand at flat track racing this fall.
    Thanks.

Jeff all you need is a fan and it'll look like mine the best of both worlds with that set up love mine . Andrew already has it reserved for f-1 in July.
    Started Mack jrl build cutting all the pieces out of the kit and prepping them for assembly this part is almost as important as the assembly of all the parts maybe more time consuming.
    should have it put together by wensday night will post a pick then.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Mic, I agree... I'm going to try the troller out Wednesday night. Also looking to get so time before the Gp 10 race to play with the new GT 12 car. The chassis is about 2 mm shorter then my Bulldog and the weight distribution seems quite a bit different so it should be interesting. I'll post the results of both tests later in the week.

You going to make it Wednesday?
    Balanced by Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Mic, I'm real interested to hear how that works. Actually, I have a Mack 1/32 "Saloon" chassis to build, I guess I can try the new technique with that. But first, preparation for next weekend's Slugfest in Seattle. Leaving from Oakland Airport next Friday night at 8:15pm. Hopefully the raceway will be open late so I can stop in on the way to the hotel.
    George,

I'd all but guarantee we'll be open later than usual, we have our Falcon powered Group F wing car race on Friday night. Flat track will be open for practice & Testing. Looking forward to having you and Herman up for a visit!

Jim
    Jim Radford
    Pacific Slot Car Raceways
    http://www.shoppscr.com
    Visit us on Facebook
    (253) 446-5039
    Host site of the 2014 & 2016 DIV II USRA Nationals

Jeff, let us know how the new GT12 works....that's the Portuguese one, right? Friday night my flight arrives at 10:20pm. Jim, is it fastest to just head down I-5, get off at Route 18 (the old Lee Gilbert exit) then take the main drag down to PSCR?

I put together my favorite Horky chassis last night with the vertical mag .480T set up, plain vanilla Valiko 23t25. OK slotcar gear fans, the Horky pinions, as pricey as they are, they are the best, no doubt. I put on a new one and hitched it up to a Cahoza 44T spur. Soldered in the motor with wheels on as Lee suggested. Tested it on the analyzer, absolutely silent mesh first try. This is the way to run a slotcar. They may cost $30 each, but really worth it. I'm marking them by notching one end to keep track of them. Otherwise, they get lost in the shuffle and mixed up with other product.

Also pulled a new PK 23t25 out of my 10 mag small block, it's going out in the mail to Appomattox Geezer today to have the stacks touched up. One corner expanded a good .006", nice and polished and took a little chip out of the corner of one of the mags, left a nice stripe down the magnets. I guess it's done its expansion thing and now needs grinding. Sure is a fun process....

Quote Originally Posted by La Cucaracha View Post
    This thread is way over my head sometimes, but it`s definitely the best one going right now.
    I want to try my hand at flat track racing this fall.
    Thanks.
    Mike, glad you are finding value in this thread. I admit, it's pretty esoteric at times, but if there's something that doesn't make sense, go ahead and post a question. I'm definitely in my own little slotcar world, but that's what this is all about. If I go too far into my little world, feel free to ask for clarification.

SR,
    Hope you have a great time in my old neck of the woods, wish I could be there.

Quick clarification, is this a second PK arm ? If so, how did the first one turn out ? Sounds like this "break in" is a process you have to live with on those arms but if the results work then maybe its worth it. Also sounds like you have chipped 2 different set ups, would it be worth making a break in set up with more air gap ?

You have 2 big events you are going to in the next couple of weeks. What do you take ? How many different options (set ups, chassis, bodies) do you take for each class you plan to race ?

I know you will be busy but if there was any way to give daily recaps I think those of us who cant be there would appreciate it. Posted results are always good but your insight makes for very interesting reading, good stuff !

Again good luck !

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Jeff, let us know how the new GT12 works....that's the Portuguese one, right? Friday night my flight arrives at 10:20pm. Jim, is it fastest to just head down I-5, get off at Route 18 (the old Lee Gilbert exit) then take the main drag down to PSCR?
    George,
    Yep - Thats the route to take, when you take the 18 exit you'll go to the right, take the first left (Thats Enchanted Parkway I believe) which turns into Meridian Ave. 5 or 6 miles on the right. I'll keep the lights on for you. Don't hesitate to call if you get confused but its a pretty easy place to find, supplemented by the fact you've been here before.

The cleaning crew was in this past Sunday so the place is so clean you could eat off the floor if it weren't for Toby wandering around. Really excited about this event - just need to get my cars all finished up! You planning on doing any of the wing classes? I probably have an extra Box Stock 12 I can toss you're way if you need a ride.

Regards,
    Jim Radford
    Pacific Slot Car Raceways
    http://www.shoppscr.com
    Visit us on Facebook
    (253) 446-5039
    Host site of the 2014 & 2016 DIV II USRA Nationals