Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

SR,
    I'm not sure if the chassis is Portuguese. I'll email Andy and ask. I do know it's a new GT 12 chassis from the same person that makes the Pinewood S16 Sport chassis. I'll get so more info and post a picture of it as well.
    The Race Place raceplaceinfo.com
    Bowskateer founding member #3
    Get a 3rd EYE Fetroller 2.1
    Balanced by Bill

SR, here's a picture of the chassis I'll be testing tonight...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chassis GT12..jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	8809  

Balanced by Bill

I was listening to an interview of David Brooks last night (New York Times columnist, his mentor was William F. Buckley, but Brooks grew up in a liberal household....so he's a conservative who also has some liberal views....interesting guy). Brooks just wrote a book about human emotion. He's a very funny man anyway, so the interview was quite entertaining while I was rebuilding my Nats winning G12 motor. Towards the end of the interview he was talking about sports and emotion, so it started to take a turn towards what is pertinent to slotcar racing, the sport. Then he brought up Harvey Dorfman(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvey_Dorfman) who has written books on sports psychology as it relates to baseball. All this very appropriate reading for slotcar racers. As I recall, Brooks recounts a story of a pitcher who just won a game. They interviewed the pitcher and asked him how he thought the game went. Pitcher replies "67 out of 75". Interviewer is puzzled, "what do you mean?" Pitcher says, "67 pitches left my fingers perfectly out of 75"....that was ALL he was concerned with...once the ball leaves the fingers, it's out of his control now...whatever happens will happen. Of course, that attitude relates very well to slotcar racing too.

Besides rebuilding the G12 motor, I put a new Camen pinion on it and that gave a really great gear mesh. Then, I remounted the Gulliver in Horky #1....that's Six Mag Gullie with the PK 23t25 (.470" diameter) in it. I had one more new Horky pinion, so I used it, of course, and naturally the gear mesh was absolutely gorgeous. Therefore, when I got up this morning, I ordered four more pinions....they are so worth it...makes me wonder if I should call my broker and buy some Horky stock.....
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff714 View Post
    SR, here's a picture of the chassis I'll be testing tonight...
    Wow Jeff, that almost looks like a Speedshop chassis except with moving pans. I've never seen that one before.

Got 15 pairs of tires glued up last night and drilled the set screw holes this morning, ready to wack off the edges and then the tire carver comes out for the rough cut.

Converted my 2009 Mack to 3/32" axle last night, time to try something new. I've been running 3/32" on the two Horkys, and Richard always said the 2mm axle had too much flex. I believe sometimes we get stuck in a rut with certain things, and it seems the 2mm on my Mack was one of those ruts. Then I loaded the Voki 10 mag in the Mack, so it'll be ready to get into the mix at PSCR, maybe as early as tomorrow night. Jim's keeping the light on for me, just like Tom Bodett said http://bodett.com/motel6commercials.htm.

Yeah, everything is pretty much ready to go. Got out the slotcar suitcase last night. It's gonna have a new rider tomorrow night, the Closetmaid shelf. One of these shelves weighs 11 pounds in box. I checked the weight of my tool box last night and it was 13 pounds, so that explains why I have left it home for about the past year. It's OK for going to my local track, but too heavy to pack, plus when I get to the track the shelf provides much more work space. Uh oh, somebody needs help out in the dispensary, time to go

2 down

mack jrl
    SR
    thanks for the pictures of yours made a few changes to mine .My old 1 I had the center pin solder in the rear like the way it moves when free .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mack jrl1..jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	8812  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mack jrl2..jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	8813  

Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

SR
    Don't like the way it seems to rust as soon as you put fingers on it .cleaned it up and coated it with WD-40 then bagged it ASAP.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

SR,

Tested the new GT 12 chassis last night and in a word it was LOOSE... I'm going to try a softer tire and play around with adding some weight... I'll let you know how that works out.

Race well this weekend!
    Balanced by Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    mack jrl
    SR
    thanks for the pictures of yours made a few changes to mine .My old 1 I had the center pin solder in the rear like the way it moves when free .
    Wow, really nice build there Mic, impressive. But you're right, the darned things start rusting immediately!!! I find owning these steel cars to be a lot about cleaning them up, especially whenever you do ANY soldering. Let us know how these run.

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Wow, really nice build there Mic, impressive. But you're right, the darned things start rusting immediately!!! I find owning these steel cars to be a lot about cleaning them up, especially whenever you do ANY soldering. Let us know how these run.
    Huh?!? Well, I guess you never know until you put it on the track and try it...I woulda guessed it would be tight, but that shows you how little I know. Maybe a couple of small lead tabs at the rear of the pans?

Well, I just checked in on Southwest, got boarding pass A42. Unfortunately bad news at 5:30pm this evening, got a voicemail from Hermanator saying he now cannot make the trip to Seattle for Slugfest. Wow, I'm disappointed not having my slotcar buddy with me, so it's gonna be pretty much like the Flat Track Worlds last July when I also went up there by myself.

Folks, you may not know this, but the Seattle race crew is probably the toughest group of local racers anywhere in the country. I've been a lot of places, and believe me, these characters have a lot of depth of knowledge, and they just drive the daylights out of a slotcar. That's the main reason I go up there, also to see Lee and Alicia. And this trip in particular, I get a little knot in my heart when I think that Rob is not going to be there. Damn, we lost a good one. Anyway, I'll post some race reports on the stupid little iPhone when I'm up there. You almost have to stick all your fingers in a pencil sharpener to make them pointy enough to type on that thing....

We want PHOTOS! ;-)

I agree about the Seattle talent. I only raced at Slugfest once back in 2000, but it was one of my most memorable slot racing road trips!

Enjoy George!

SR,

Good luck !

Have to agree with you about Rob, he was 1st class. Looks like the crew up there is working hard to carry on his vision. Maybe I'll get back up there for the Flats in July.

Look forward to the reports. As far as the finger thing, I had to get an app called "Big Buttons" for my android. Good news it was free so you might check for IPhone. It made a huge difference.

Safe Travels !

The chassis in the photo is the Pinewood Raceway Clubman car. It is designed by a Pinewood member Steve Sweetman. They race them with 16d motors as a local raceway class. it was not designed as a GT12 chassis and would be surprised if it was allowed by USRA. However it would be allowed for Open Group 12.

George,

I'll try to bring my IPAD so you don't have to type on the little screen. But even it is a pain to type on IMHO.

Looking forward to racing with you again! Sorry to hear that Herman can't make it!
    Gary Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by patraceruk View Post
    The chassis in the photo is the Pinewood Raceway Clubman car. It is designed by a Pinewood member Steve Sweetman. They race them with 16d motors as a local raceway class. it was not designed as a GT12 chassis and would be surprised if it was allowed by USRA. However it would be allowed for Open Group 12.
    Pat,
    Thanks for the ID on the chassis. I agree USRA wouldn't let it run but I'm testing it to use in ISRA Open 12. Any tuning suggestion would be very much appreciated.
    Balanced by Bill