Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

I second the motion to thank Pat Skene for identifying the Mystery Chassis.
    Well, here I am at 11:33pm at the Seattle airport waiting at a snail's pace at the Budget Rental car counter. Too late to get to the track tonight. I called Jim, he said the entries for the Falcon class was light with eleven entries. I'm gonna head to the hotel tonight, get some sleep and go to the track when they open at 10am...which means 9:00am...
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Go and sock it to them George. Me, I'm taking up wing car racing, no driving ability required!

Oh, no! the wing car racing comment! haha
    "Dub" Wade
    Nampa, ID
    208-392-0639
    dustynwade@ymail.com
    Dub Motors, Dub Rides, Dub Winged bodies, PMP Chassis, Paint by Odie, Bone Bodies.
    Of course Balance by Beuf
    3rd Eye Controllers

Quote Originally Posted by patraceruk View Post
    Go and sock it to them George. Me, I'm taking up wing car racing, no driving ability required!
    Oh Crap! I hope none of the "Speed Crazed Morons" are lurking. Its too early in the season for a forest fire.

Wish I could be up there with ya Slot Car Racer.

Best of luck with the races.......Give'em hell!
    Support Your Local Raceway
    AKA "Big John"
    Bring us around

Here's a quick report so far, and it ain't lookin' good for turnout, sorry to say. They just finished Box 12, Phil Olson of Yakima, WA won in a 9 car round robin.

Lee and Alicia Gilbert made a brief appearance, tried a few cars and then left. But first Lee "dotted" each turn of the Twister. It was our going away present. During the wing race I tested a number of motors and went back and forth between my Mack euro and a Horky. With track conditions as they are, the Mack is looking good...but the race is tomorrow. Later today (???) is the GT12 race, and there's a 27 Lite race...not sure which comes first. They missed you in the Box 12 race Pat!!!

Eating Egg McMuffin at McDonalds in Milton. What I like about this place is the classical music that goes well with trying to wake up. Wake me gently please.

Not a bad result yesterday in GT12, 2nd place, good 'ol Gary Johnson got me by 3 laps...I pretty much gave it away by too many "unforced errors".

Now Sunday morning and have run eurosport testing on black, white, red and orange. Between two Horkys and the Mack, the 2010 Nats winner Mack chassis is quite a bit better than either Horky...both in lap times (best time orange 3.18) but it is very well matched to this track...much more planted and efficient on the track. And it has a six Mag Gulliver set up, one of the original ultra narrow cans, Valiko 23t25 ground to .470". Time to work on tires now.

Report (quick one) from Seattle Slugfest 2011, Slotcar Racer wins Eurosport, track owner Jim Radford runner up, and in third Ballistic Bob Everett. The Twister is really a neat scale track. Many thanks to the PSCR professional staff and the volunteers who put out an amazing spread to eat on both days...yum!

OK, tomorrow a nice drive in the 2011 Mustang and ferry ride to Vashon Island to see older daughter Heather.

Congrats on your great results this weekend George! The GT12 race was a fun one! I thought for sure I was toast after the first couple heats. But I managed to come back. I struggled to catch up until the 5th heat when I finally pulled within 2 laps. After the 6th heat, we were within a lap. I had a very clean 7th heat where as you had a couple of issues to the point where I was 2 or 3 laps ahead at the end of the heat. In the final heat, I just had to pace you. We both traded some crashes, but I managed 1 less crash to win a very tight well fought battle.

For those that want to know...
    My GT12 was a Mack Bulldog 2 with an O/S BentLee body. I was running Speedshop tires (I started at about .690"). And my motor was a Cahoza O setup (the $34.95 bag motor setup) hogged out to .560" with a ProSlot arm balanced by Beuf. This is the exact same motor and chassis I ran in Chicago at the Nats. I didn't even rebuild it before the race. I was running a 7/44 gear ratio with a 16 degree spur. My car was NOT the fastest one on the track, but it really handled well and I was lucky enough to avoid a lot of the carnage.

Personally, I had a GREAT Slugfest. I started off the weekend on Friday night by TQ'ing and winning the Group F race. The first place prize was an AWESOME Box 12 car with a beautiful body painted by Kenny Ritchins and the car assembled by Balistic Bob. This car is bar none the best handling Box car I have ever driven. On Saturday, I ran the car I won in Expert Box 12. It won the concours, followed by my setting TQ with it, and I managed to avoid just enough traffic to eek out 3rd place. Finally on Saturday we had the GT12 race I outlined above. I did manage to qualify in P2 and was very happy about that.

Sunday was a totally different story. I got to the track late. And just plain drove horribly in 27L. Then in Eurosport, I had decided a couple of weeks ago that I wanted to run my Horky. That proved to be a mistake as it was very loose and a handful to drive. Unfortunately due to that decision and a very hectic few weeks at work, I never painted up a new body for my Mack. Had I had a good body to run on the Mack I would have run it as it was much better for the loose conditions we had today due to the light turnout. Then I just plain pushed the car too hard in qualifying and ended up P8 (top of the B Main )! I just couldn't get a good lap time with the Horky. I decided to start on White lane as White and Red are usually my favorite colors and I tend to do well on them even with tall tires. This proved to be a huge mistake. On both white and red my car would kick out so far that it with hit the lock on the guide and kick out when going through the lead-on. So for both lanes I only got 66 laps putting me 10 laps behind the leaders. Finally about half way through red lane I found a controller setting with the choke that fixed the issue on the lead-on and I was off an running. I had a great green and blue lane getting 74+ laps on both of them pulling myself back into contention. Unfortunately, something happened where I lost a gear with 30 seconds to go on purple. I thought, no problem, I'll just change the gear and be back in the hunt. What I didn't realize is that I had broken a magnet. Halfway though black, I spun a pinion. I got it fixed and then ran yellow with half a magnet. The car was still good but I had JJ pull my motor out of my Mack and I put it in after finishing Yellow. I finished out Orange but was so far behind that I was an also ran.

The last race of the weekend was the OMO race. I have never run one of these cars in a race before. So a couple of weeks ago I purchased a used GTO Madman 27L chassis from Timmy and a used 85 8 mag motor from Ballistic Bob. In practice on Friday I could tell the car was going to be fast, but had an issue with the body mount. Bob said he would trade body mounts. If I mounted up his Eurosport body (I loaned him my Mack Euro and also a Mack Tazer for GT12), he would remount my OMO body. Sounded like a fair trade to me! So we went to our respective pits and did just that. Wow, what a difference! In qualifying this afternoon, I turned a couple of laps to get a feel for the car and then turned off the choke. I did some respectable lap times and thought kewl, I can handle this. So then I pushed a little harder and for 1 lap, I did everything right and managed to do a 2.296 for a new track record. When I heard that, I totally lost my concentration and couldn't put another good lap together even though I think the car had more in it. So then I had to wait for all the big guns to qualify to see if they were going to beat my time. I was sure that Chris or Bob would just blow me away, but when the dust settled, I had my 3rd TQ of the weekend and a new track record to boot! Wow! I'm still in shock! Unfortunately, while the car was great in the middle lanes, I really should have added a bunch of nose weight. This made the car very hard to drive on the tight gutter lanes. And due to my poor driving I ended up first knocking the motor out of the car and then breaking the magnets and burning up the arm. But hey! I get to put my name on the Record board!

Congrats to Bob for winning the Grand Champion for the weekend and being the recipient of the pie in the face! Congrats to Chris for winning both OMO and 27L beating his dad by feet in 27L and by almost exactly 1 lap in OMO! I think it is a good thing Chris didn't have a Eurosport to run. If he had, he likely would have taken the pie eating away from his dad!

So, my tally for the weekend was 3 TQ's, 2 firsts, a third, a 5th and 1 DNF. All in all I had a great weekend! I got to race with some awesome people, and truly enjoyed myself.
    Gary Johnson

Gary, that's a super race report, good job buddy. I am so sorry I elected to retreat to my hotel room instead of grabbing a bite to eat with you, but all day I was supressing a bad "neck headache" so when the racing ended I gave into it and it got really bad. So I got a really good night's sleep and now enjoying the 15 minute ferry ride from Point Defiance to Vashon. Daughter is awake and expecting me soon...now that she is a bank manager she actually gets up at a "normal" time. So Gary, we'll get together for sure next time. I know our readers value your writings.

How much can I add to Gary's report? Not a whole lot. He raced all the classes which is impressive. For me the two scale classes was truly wonderful. I had two GT12s and three eurosports to choose from so my little brain didn't overheat with choices. I'm looking forward to getting home and on Tuesday night will pull stuff apart for reconditioning. We did get an email from Piero and he'll have a batch of chassis built in mid June and sending some 32s and 24s out to our team of researchers to test. I saw Ray Batchelor's ES24 yesterday and it looked good. Other than that we have some ES32 motor projects coming up and more PK testing. Just 45 days or so to the ISRA Nats.

OK, just hit Vashon, gotta crank up the Mustang. By the way, it's a great car. This 305HP V6 has grunt...as much as my 98 Cobra had!!! OK, zoom zoom

George

Let's get a picture of the Mustang. You lucky boy you.

George Congrats on your euro win. Soon as you figured out white lane it went smoothly for you on the rest of the lanes. You car was probably knats hair .0001 too low for the track joint in the sweeper

FYI I didn't run the Piero/Speedshop setup chassis car. It runs awsome on the PSCR Twister under different conditions. You must have snuck a peek in my box while racing. Luckily I learned my lesson at Chicago that it likes a bit of rubber on the track and not quite as green a track. Since there were no significant string of races I decided to go with my Speedshop-Mack since it runs well on minimal low rubber fresh glue situations. It started on .665 tires and ran the whole race on one set it wears tires well. The Mystery Piero will appear in the FTW.

Unlike Gary I mounted the bodies to fit either the Mack or the Piero, and after a few laps it was obvious which was my choice for that day. It was a close call though, early in the twilite morning I pulled the Gulliver motor that was in the Mack car and did a quick hone with the same size hone. I do this to check for cracks, as when same size honed again it shows any hidden flaws in the magnet. There was a corner crack in one of the segments, after light heat testing with a soldering iron it loosened out that piece. Better to find out before the race than during like Gary did.

Also the last three races including the Nats I sucked a .005/.003 body R-10 rear end several times during a race I opted for a thin sided .007 body instead. What a improvement difference in consistancy! That is a .007 on top and .005 on the sides, had to select through couple dozen of bodies to find three. Best test is the "thwok test" with the thumb, releasing the index finger "thwoking" the body for the best "thwok sound" and an not a "thwud sound" although "thweek" sound is better because it's a thinner but not weaker (OK that would be a Thweeker....). I call them Gugu thumb approved bodies as the lighter .007 all had a thumb print molded onto the rear spoiler slanted name plate. Probably because the thinner bodies are harder to get off the mold while still hot. For infomation sake the reference sound of a .003/.005 is "Thwackle" or "Thwinkle"

I was driving careful this race as I had broken a motor magnet each of the last three races.

FYI same size-honeing just straigtens out a good motor without actually enlarging the hole. Three things break a magnet, a bearing gone bad, armature slap, or axle slap during a crash....some times fate or looking cross eyed while driving into a wall also is problamatical. Running a "mole test" (magnet hole) check in a cordess test the bearings and magnet in one pass.

No big deal gave me an opportunity to try out one of Joel's two Camen 18 mag. setups. He called them new "refubished blems" when I got them as the screw holes got "screwwd up" and were brazed and re tapped. Stuffed in it was a new .480 dia 22T25g Camen Euro arm that was wound, epoxied and balanced so clean and pretty I had to give it a race blessing. The 18mag setups were built just at the time of the Gulliver incarnation release last year and is machined very close on width (by about a few thou. wider) and surprisingly almost the same height. This was to be my 1/32 motor at the Nats but after running it many laps in the 1/32 euro it had a bit too much horses. It was ideal for a later to be selected 1/24th. Lee built it up an thought it was going to be a soft motor for a 1/32 but it was far from that when you run it on the track. If the Gulliver in the Mack hadn't gone south it was originally destined for the 3rd Tru-blue Speedshop chassis instead of the Mack. In a lighter car it allowed me to run the car at 1/2 throttle through the race and punch it when I needed it but I didn't really use the reserve or release the beast.

That's the nice thing about multi mag motors smooth with reserve power, and I only mildly burnt one braid midway thoughout the 8 lanes of the race and that was only because it got twisted around straw shape due to a incursion. I am pretty sure I could have run the whole race on one set of braid if thing went different.

I had a reasonable race myself, conservative qualifying, conservative racing. I want to thank George for reminding that green was down on power (like being choked) as i arrived on that lane so I stepped the sensativaty lower knocked off the Echoke to 1ft and had a very good green lane run. I was doing OK for three heats three way tie for second. That is until 4min into orange lane I got tagged by another car and marshal on the straight under the bridge and ridered onto an ajoining lane. While calling rider several time on the lane color it was on I lost laps as it got driven around a lap and a half (yes SRT beeped) and almost ran up into the driver car I was rideing on: until he filnally walled the car on the second lap just prior to the sweeper past the bridge again. In NW rider is not a track call and for the most part drivers are considerate and stop. Well one gear change and furry braid replacement and couple minutes lost (and a lot of Canadian cussing) later it was catchup all race.

By the way once Gary got things sorted out he was flying with that broken magnet motor, Like I tell eveyone from my own experience pull out the broken pieces if you can: run that splitered motor until it don't run anymore. They usually will run on as much as a 1/3 of magnet and most times run fast.

I finished motor and magnets intact and body fresh (R-10 not me)....

Oh well any race you finish, is a good day at a Eurosport race......

Raymond Batchelor
    Last edited by Slapshot; 05-31-2011 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by patraceruk View Post
    George

Let's get a picture of the Mustang. You lucky boy you.
    Here is the rental car

Mustang

And the final eurosport screen

euroscreen

And finally the infamous Speedshop Wing Car driven by Lee Gilbert

Speedshopwingcar

Very nice George !

Were Bob,Dan,Chuck and Shawn sharing a car ? Not sure I've ever seen 4 cars with that close of lap times !

Leave it to Lee, btw how did he finish.

Those lap times are pretty typical with our group of drivers. We have a group of 7 or 8 drivers that can win on any given day. BTW: The TQ time was a 3.1nn so these guys were really moving! I qualified poorly with a 3.399 and ran a similar time in the race as those on the screen above.

Bob was running my Flats winning Mack chassis with his motor. He hadn't driven a Eurosport for many years and it was only his second ever race on the Twister AFAIK. His first being the GT12 race on Saturday with my Mack Tazer. Bob was really just taking it easy. It really paid off for him as he ran a great race. If you notice Bob did his fast lap time on Black. That was his last heat and he finally got comfortable with the car. If he ever decided to come back and race on the flat track with us on a regular basis he would be on the podium about as often as he is on the King track!
    Gary Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by GearBear View Post
    Those lap times are pretty typical with our group of drivers. We have a group of 7 or 8 drivers that can win on any given day. BTW: The TQ time was a 3.1nn so these guys were really moving! I qualified poorly with a 3.399 and ran a similar time in the race as those on the screen above.

Bob was running my Flats winning Mack chassis with his motor. He hadn't driven a Eurosport for many years and it was only his second ever race on the Twister AFAIK. His first being the GT12 race on Saturday with my Mack Tazer. Bob was really just taking it easy. It really paid off for him as he ran a great race. If you notice Bob did his fast lap time on Black. That was his last heat and he finally got comfortable with the car. If he ever decided to come back and race on the flat track with us on a regular basis he would be on the podium about as often as he is on the King track!
    Who says wing racers cant drive scale cars? haha
    "Dub" Wade
    Nampa, ID
    208-392-0639
    dustynwade@ymail.com
    Dub Motors, Dub Rides, Dub Winged bodies, PMP Chassis, Paint by Odie, Bone Bodies.
    Of course Balance by Beuf
    3rd Eye Controllers