Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Raceway View Post
    Who says wing racers cant drive scale cars? haha
    It may have been a few years, but Ballistic Bob is no stranger to scale cars! He was always a top competitor on the MTT track as well as on the Canadian White track... even when he hadn't raced in a while! (So don't let him fool you if/when he shows up in Idaho!).

When we had no King Tracks in the Seattle area, Bob used to keep his trigger finger in shape racing scale cars prior to traveling to the Wing Nats (where he did pretty darned good).

Great to read the reports here from Slotcar Racer, GearBear, & Slapshot! I talked to Jim R & he said he'd be working on getting the race results & pics posted, and I see he's already posted a bunch of Slugfest pics on the PSCR Facebook page. I look forward to seeing all the results!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're right Paul, lot's of good stuff flowing out of knowledgable keyboards such as Gearbear and Slapshot.

I unpacked last night and started taking motors out of chassis, cleaning up chassis which rust as soon as you clean them. I liked what Dan Sullivan does, he buffs the metal to a high gloss, says it doesn't rust as quickly. I might try that.

Got my entry fees sent to The Race Place for the ISRA Nats. Gotta call Ramada Inn and make the room reservation next.

Got an email from Piero, he's now building chassis, got the parts for ES32 and ES24. Photo of ES24 he's sending looks like this:

v2 prototype

Short report again. No plans for testing this weekend, however my experimental ES32 motor is being shipped from Camen end of the week, but not sure I'll have any experimental armatures for it!!!
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Finished up the motor removal last night, pulled pinions and pulled the arms out of the two motors I raced. In GT12 I raced a new Cahoza T5 UL set up honed to .535" and a Koford .518" armature. I had a number of .540" motors, but the Koford out performed them all. I also used this same motor to win the GT12 race at Slot Car Raceway a few weeks before. Anyway, I pulled that arm and will recondition it. For the eurosport, I ran the Voki 10 mag and Valiko 22t24.5. I discovered a minor chip out of one of the top magnet segs on the Voki, very minor. Just cleaned it up with acetone and applied dykem to the insides of the mags. The arm looks really good, a testament to the clean power supplies at PSCR.

Didn't find anything out of the ordinary on all the chassis, they cleaned up fine and are now disassembled and starting to rust again....So, for the next few weeks I am going to get to work on the flexi classes. The Group 10 car is all built nice and brand new, but the X25 is too tight on the Testarossa...getting some pitter patter. So, I will spend a session playing with that chassis with different bite bars, weight and chassis movement. It's such a new chassis to me, I need to play with it and see what the adjustments do. For B Production I just need to put together a few Contenders, mount a body and get some lap times. On the Testarossa I'd like to run 3.9s with B Production. A good NORCAL LMP will run 4.0s....but those are small diameter arms and no shunts. Looks like rain this weekend, very unusual for California, so Sunday will be a good testing day even though I said no plans for testing!!!!

George,

Interesting that you found the small diameter arm better on the Twister. I ran a .540" Proslot 42 degree arm in a .560" hole. Actually the timing on that arm is 40/42/43. I didn't notice that you had any more speed than me on the straight, and I think I was slightly better in the keyhole. I like the bigger arm as it seems more forgiving to drive hard in the keyhole. Especially on Orange lane. Orange typically gets so rubbered up due to all the practice and qualifying that it can be a real bear to get through. The lower gear ratio combined with the big arm just seems to tame the tightness down in that corner.
    Gary Johnson

SR
    Completed new euro motor .500 dia 20/25 in a .610 cahoza can .518 air gap. Ran a little hot on power supply will see ,sounds good though .Proto type magnet 12 motor opened air gap to .560 from .555 should make an improvement on the torque problem . tonight I will put a 23/25.5 .485 dia arm in my old euro setup and get it installed in the mosetti 1/32 euro then will finish mack jrl.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by GearBear View Post
    George,

Interesting that you found the small diameter arm better on the Twister. I ran a .540" Proslot 42 degree arm in a .560" hole. Actually the timing on that arm is 40/42/43. I didn't notice that you had any more speed than me on the straight, and I think I was slightly better in the keyhole. I like the bigger arm as it seems more forgiving to drive hard in the keyhole. Especially on Orange lane. Orange typically gets so rubbered up due to all the practice and qualifying that it can be a real bear to get through. The lower gear ratio combined with the big arm just seems to tame the tightness down in that corner.
    Hi Gary, I am not all that familiar with The Twister yet, now five races completed on it, I don't even know what the keyhole is...all I know is there are twisty bits up on top and I just close my eyes and pray when I go through there. Got a lot of praying done last weekend as a result. Still trying to figure out what I was praying about too. But, that's a subject for another day.

Anyway, I brought up three .540" motors including the one that won the Nats this year, and the one that won the Nats in 2010 at Chick's, and then a new motor with handwound Pro Slot. These were all really good until I put in my NORCAL motor (they mandate arms no bigger than .518") and it produced best lap times and handled the best. Go figure, eh?

Yeah, I'm with you on the theory of the larger arms, but the proof was in the lap times. You just drove a better race than I did, I hit too many objects lying in my lane, but as you'll recall, I was leading a lot of the middle of the race. It got really ugly for me on red. Your car was for sure a quick one. Note, you and I were not all that fast in qualifying and that proves once again (at least in my mind) that a fast qualifier is not necessarily good racing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    SR
    Completed new euro motor .500 dia 20/25 in a .610 cahoza can .518 air gap. Ran a little hot on power supply will see ,sounds good though .Proto type magnet 12 motor opened air gap to .560 from .555 should make an improvement on the torque problem . tonight I will put a 23/25.5 .485 dia arm in my old euro setup and get it installed in the mosetti 1/32 euro then will finish mack jrl.
    Mic, this should be really interesting to see how it tests. Is the Cahoza can .610" i.d.? I hope it is because if it is .610"o.d. I would think you would have very little magnet mass, especially for such a hot wind. I would think a .610" i.d. would give you a pretty fat motor, around .650" o.d. or so? With such a large airgap of .518", that should give you enough magnet. When you say it ran hot on the power supply, that makes me worry you are running very little magnet though!!! Let us know about those dimensions.

I have a Camen set up, a quad, can dimension is .600"o.d. and airgap is .490".....that volume of magnet is bordering on not enough. I ran it at the Nats in ES32 this year and the motor pooped out halfway through the race giving me a Falcon 7-like experience. Sure was fast in the turns though. I still don't have the answer as to why it slowed down so much during the race, but I suspect the magnets got too hot and the whole thing turned south.

I think you're getting your preparations going like me. All those classes are a lot to prepare. I'm sort of strategizing that Group 10 and JRL are going to be practice time for me as I've never been on that track before. I need to make a sketch of the track and study it.

You just drove a better race than I did, I hit too many objects lying in my lane, but as you'll recall, I was leading a lot of the middle of the race. It got really ugly for me on red. Your car was for sure a quick one. Note, you and I were not all that fast in qualifying and that proves once again (at least in my mind) that a fast qualifier is not necessarily good racing.
    Yeah, I started out on white, and you were on Purple, if my memory serves. I qualified second in GT12 so I wasn't too bad The difference was, that I ran lap times very close to my qualifying times where as most people were way slower in the race. Usually though, I'm somewhere in the middle of the pack in qualifying but almost always have a car capable of winning. I try to tune my car for the tight section of the twister, rather than for straightaway speed. Often times, I am coming out of the keyhole after gaining 3 or 4 feet on the cars next to me, then they will pass me on the straight by a couple feet. To me, if the net is that I have an easier time in the keyhole (from the sweeper to the back straight), then that makes the car easier to race. If you have a car that is difficult in that section then your whole race is going to go south.

My biggest problem in Euro was I hit too many obstacles in the early part of the race and also created too many obstacles for others! IE: I drove horribly! In fact, I drove horribly in all the races on Sunday!
    Gary Johnson

SR
    Completed new euro motor .500 dia 20/25 in a .610 cahoza can .518 air gap. Ran a little hot on power supply will see ,sounds good though.
    I'm very interested in the larger diameter Euro motor. Please let us know how it works out.
    Gary Johnson

I ran a 20/25 .500 dia BOW arm at the worlds in a Camen setup with a .512 hole and 480 tall radial signal magnets.

What I have found so far with the big DIA stuff is that it revs very slow. Once you get past a 20/25 the motor revs almost to slow.

I feel that the 94.5 was to far down on TQ that is almost needed a 5tooth pinion.

Mike
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

Quote Originally Posted by mazur50 View Post
    I ran a 20/25 .500 dia BOW arm at the worlds in a Camen setup with a .512 hole and 480 tall radial signal magnets.

What I have found so far with the big DIA stuff is that it revs very slow. Once you get past a 20/25 the motor revs almost to slow.

I feel that the 94.5 was to far down on TQ that is almost needed a 5tooth pinion.
    Mike
    I also have a 20/25.5 in same set up with single radial mags thats all I use for now not set up to do multi mag set ups at this time .These set ups are a Lou Pirro design . The .518 air gap works very well mine spin up pretty fast and are very drivable for me .Don't have much of a euro motor back ground but have a few multi mag set ups and like my big blocks better.1 of the six mag set ups is going to be my 1/32 motor with a 23/25 .485 dia PK arm .500 hole .
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

SR
    They are .610 ID OD is .648 with .518 air gap it leaves about .042 a side in magnet mass my 20/25.5 runs great with no heat problems and plenty of power run about 18 feet of choke and its very manageable
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

euro .500 arm motors

Gary & SR,

What Mic's saying about Lou's motor configuration is very true I have run a couple of them that Lou built. One is a single radial magnet setup that Lou built for Chip Adams and the thing is an absolute missile. The other Lou built for me with a 10 magnet setup. It doesn't have quite as much top end as the single mag but the power curve is very smooth all the way up.
    The Race Place raceplaceinfo.com
    Bowskateer founding member #3
    Get a 3rd EYE Fetroller 2.1
    Balanced by Bill

SR
    They are .610 ID OD is .648 with .518 air gap it leaves about .042 a side in magnet mass my 20/25.5 runs great with no heat problems and plenty of power run about 18 feet of choke and its very manageable
    OK Mic, that makes more sense, so it is quite a large can to accommodate that size of armature and airgap. What are the magnet dimensions, just out of curiosity? Right now I am leaning towards .480T X .300L, those are my favorite two set ups right now....oh, wait, the Voki is roughly .460T X .300L, so slightly shorter, but I used that in Seattle. In a few days, the new ES32 set up is rolling off the Camen assembly line, .480T X .300L 12 mag, the usual .630 wide can and for .747" long arms. Joel is winding a 25T25 for it as a package, and there are some PKs on the way. It's pretty much an experiment and mainly for ES32, although I will have to bolt it into a 1/24 too.

Anyway Mic, back to your big block, it sounds really interesting and from what others have said it is a really viable eurosport power plant.

Quote Originally Posted by mazur50 View Post

Mike
    Mike, whatever you are running it is stupidfast! Over the years I have come to the conclusion that smaller diameter arms spool up faster, but not as smooth. Larger diameter arms do not spool up quickly, but they kind of churn along with a really nice torque curve so the motor floats the car around the track. In the mid 90s I ran my C Cans with .510" arms and .525" airgap. Over the past year, we experimented with Gulliver with arms as small as .456". I believe the conclusion Hermanator and I reached is the small arms are quick, but not fast. The large arms are fast, but not quick. I'm gonna stop here and let you think about that a little.