Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Finished up some prep work for Philly this morning:

If I have to cut another body in the next 6 months I'm going to go bananas...

Just need to do final adjustments to all of them at Chick's this month and then into the box they go until July.

Rocky, those look really good, kind of like a banana color....oh yeah, that's right, you have almost gone bananas already.

I've only stayed at Super 8, but I have never run on The Super 8, so I made an attempt to draw the layout from the photos on Lou's website. It really looks like a great track, can't wait to run on it.

DSCN4132
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Mic, this should be really interesting to see how it tests. Is the Cahoza can .610" i.d.? I hope it is because if it is .610"o.d. I would think you would have very little magnet mass, especially for such a hot wind. I would think a .610" i.d. would give you a pretty fat motor, around .650" o.d. or so? With such a large airgap of .518", that should give you enough magnet. When you say it ran hot on the power supply, that makes me worry you are running very little magnet though!!! Let us know about those dimensions.

I have a Camen set up, a quad, can dimension is .600"o.d. and airgap is .490".....that volume of magnet is bordering on not enough. I ran it at the Nats in ES32 this year and the motor pooped out halfway through the race giving me a Falcon 7-like experience. Sure was fast in the turns though. I still don't have the answer as to why it slowed down so much during the race, but I suspect the magnets got too hot and the whole thing turned south.

I think you're getting your preparations going like me. All those classes are a lot to prepare. I'm sort of strategizing that Group 10 and JRL are going to be practice time for me as I've never been on that track before. I need to make a sketch of the track and study it.

Too many variables to conclude the motor slowed due to not enough magnet mass. Out East here, with .500 dia arms and the setups available, we have not reached a conclusion on the lower limit for magnet mass.

This just reminds me of when the Emperor is showing off the plans for the DeathStar. "I've been working on this for quite some time..."

Now see the power of this fully functional Super 8!

Yep, totally Bananas...

Rocky, those look really good, kind of like a banana color....oh yeah, that's right, you have almost gone bananas already.

I've only stayed at Super 8, but I have never run on The Super 8, so I made an attempt to draw the layout from the photos on Lou's website. It really looks like a great track, can't wait to run on it.

DSCN4132

Did quite a bit of motor rebuilding yesterday and sorted bodies. With some new chassis coming in, I think I'll have to order some more bodies for Phillie. Anyway, I rebuilt two ES32 motors and built up the B Production Contender motor, same arm that won the 2010 Nats at Chicks.

Putting Hermanator's old Hudy comm truer on ebay today in case anybody is interested. It has a diamond bit and is a truer converted from R/C to slot, or can serve dual purpose. Not sure what model it is, but I trued the comm on the abovementioned Contender arm and it did a real nice job. Need to run over to Hobbytown and pick up some Tamiya lexan paint, I'm out of orange. I think I'm going to try some plain orange paint this time, not flourescent. The plain orange should stick to the lexan really well with less paint.

I wonder how CRASH CODGER did yesterday in the last NORCAL race at Eddie's World....I better email him for a race report....

DSCN4132
    SR good drawing but the 2 little kinks are not that close to the corners on the down hill next to the drivers panel and the uphill furthest from drivers panel they are about halfway down and up the straights
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    SR good drawing but the 2 little kinks are not that close to the corners on the down hill next to the drivers panel and the uphill furthest from drivers panel they are about halfway down and up the straights
    Maybe somebody has the builders diagram somewhere, or some more photos. I did this from the two photos on Lou's website.

I copied the pic from the ISRA USA Champs Race Announcements thread... just for reference.

This pic must be the one Slotcar Racer used for making his drawing - 'cuz it looks like he got it pretty darned close, based on this view.

If anyone has any other pics or layout drawings, please post them!

Seeing this track... makes me wonder... if this track has about the biggest footprint (sq ft) for any flat track. ??? I would think it might be fairly close between the Super 8, the Midwest Monster, and the Motherlode in Vallejo CA.
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 06-05-2011 at 12:12 PM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Paul SR"s layout is very close the kinks have a little more straight away from the corners then he shows in his drawing so you come out of those turns and get the car straight then you hit those 2 kinks about 4' from the corners .When the track was black like in the picture you had a very hard time seeing the kink in the uphill going to the bridge on black and purple but should be less of a problem with new surface color.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

I think I see your point!

In this more recent photo... the kink look MUCH "kinkier":

Hey Slotcar Racer! You might just have to redo your drawing...
    after Lou gets done putting it back together, it might wind up different then before!

(maybe Lou will need to consult YOUR drawing!)

PK
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 06-06-2011 at 06:23 AM.
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald

ScR:

I believe on this track and the similar LTD's the turn at end of the main straight is deceptive as is has a slight bank of about 5-8 deg or more. You can dive drive it deeper than anticipated thru that corner with a euro (some cars depending how it spray glued and lane you can even forget to brake blip and make it through). I learned at the ISRA-USA 2006 nats in Raceworld/McHenry as this is the same track. Black lane is a challenge especially back semi-esses (prior to over the bridge) but Herman, Sano Dave and Mike Stahl seemed to be to only ones that could drive it really fast. Red "lead on to straight" is a zero visability drive-it blind "trust in the force Luke" turn (reminder: all hats backward at D/P black to yellow). Curved section to lead on after the 180 is like driving the bannana at Franks except its an innie instead of an outie....

Raymond

Last edited by Slapshot; 06-07-2011 at 07:23 PM. Reason: forgot to spray glue and put hat on backwards

Looks like Bill is the consultant on this project.
    Why do I do this to myself?

Any report from the weekend racing? Hopefully I'm in the right thread lol
    TEAM B.O.W
    In memory of Gordy Root a great mentor and friend
    One time at Slotnerds camp

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    Any report from the weekend racing? Hopefully I'm in the right thread lol
    If you mean the weekend racing that Slotcar racer raced at... then you might see his report on how he did here.

Otherwise... the "Race Results" forum might be a better source of a full race report... (or any race that SR was NOT at!)
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald