Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

I guess my point was:

ablation = removal

accretion = accumulation

but I do agree that the "braking" versus "breaking" differences are MUCH easier to define.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Quote Originally Posted by oldweirdherald View Post
    I guess my point was:

ablation = removal

accretion = accumulation

but I do agree that the "braking" versus "breaking" differences are MUCH easier to define.

PK, many thanks for your excellent research on this language distinction. I am now presented with a choice of changing my nomenclature from ablation to accretion. Truth be told, I simply do not like the work accretion. It kind of hits me wrong. On the other hand, I think I was really attracted to the word ablation because I had never heard it before. I think I am going to continue to refer to the build up of track crud as ablation even though you have correctly pointed out that it is a term involved in removal, because I believe what we are doing is removing crud from the track surface. I'd prefer to define it as originally posted by MentalKase (MK). It will go into the Slotcar Racer Glossary at the end of this thread, whenever that occurs.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Ahh... you did get me there! So your chassis can now be regarded an "ablation" tool used for the removal of track crud!

I have to agree that for some weird reason, the word "ablation" does just simply sound better then the word "accretion". Perhaps it is because "accretion" sounds too darned much like "secretion"... which is actually kinda gross and disgusting.

I guess after so many times of getting a headache after reading MentalKase's physics & math formula's & theories, I was feeling kinda smart for once that I cought him on a vocabulary thing.

That ought to teach me!

I try to leave the speeling & grammamer corekshuns toour good buddy Zippity, and try to stick to my duties involving the ablation of off-topic & off-color posts on the forums... and I'll also try to refrain from further accretion of thread drift in my posts.

Regarding your chassis project... one thing has been abundantly demonstrated in your thread - and that is your persistence and the use of trial & error as the ultimate method of tuning (or is that two things?).

You have demonstrated that a major part of being competitive is that you need to work at it to continue to be competitive - because if YOU don't, your competition most likely will. The pattern of painstakingly working at the bench, then testing the cars on the track and observing the results, and repeating until you get the results you are after... is a pattern that I hope many reading this forum have noticed in this thread.

Besides the sharing of your theories, methods, and results in this thread - I think you have also managed to inspire others through your hard work and efforts, as well as for taking the time to share your ideas & results here.

Thanks Slotcar Racer - I always enjoy reading your thread!
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Hey Paul! Great investigation! "Your good buddy" "Zippy" has tried what you said, but is not always accomplished at his trials. Now to correct you, Georges' constant work more than keeps him competetive, it keeps him at the top of the game. It's a pleasure to watch him get around the track. Gus in Sacto.

Great!!! Blame me for something that I am completely innocent of

Anyone watch this mornings exciting Canadian F1 GP?

PS "Ablation" has been used in the wrong context above.
    Last edited by Zippity; 06-12-2011 at 03:06 PM.
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

Ablation,Accretion Blah Blah Blah
    Sorry SR and Paul just had to
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

George,

You are working far too hard. Years ago we found the the up and down guide motion on Horky chassis made them loose and unpredictable. I just cram some bullet proofing in the gap to take up the motion and make the front end solid. We have run them for years this way and Greg Gilbert used a 2009 version of the Horky 1/32 with bullet proofing to win the Worlds. Horky has finally realized this and is now building all his chassis without front guide movement.

Maybe it's time to reopen the Blah blah blah thread.......lol
    Resident Curmudgeon
    "Manta" Ray Price

Quote Originally Posted by Speedshop View Post
    George,

You are working far too hard. Years ago we found the the up and down guide motion on Horky chassis made them loose and unpredictable. I just cram some bullet proofing in the gap to take up the motion and make the front end solid. We have run them for years this way and Greg Gilbert used a 2009 version of the Horky 1/32 with bullet proofing to win the Worlds. Horky has finally realized this and is now building all his chassis without front guide movement.
    Hey Lee, you are absolutely correct, I am in fact working too hard! But, in case you haven't noticed, I enjoy working on my stuff so it is really play for me. Come on Lee, you built two Horky ES32s for me and they have the stuffed bullet proofing! My two Horky ES32s are pretty much as you built them, they work well, but not so good on Frank's track. When I tested yesterday I forgot to put it back in after all that soldering up front. Actually, it worked well without it!!! But, I need to put some back in there.

My newer chassis is the better one and I have left it alone...the older one is the experimental one. Herman pointed out correctly that Frank's track has the least braid recess, it is virtually level, maybe .005" recess. As I said earlier, Roger's track has quite a deep recess now and the Horkys work well there because the front of the chassis is low enough....I think the same will be true on Lou's reconditioned Super 8. Jerry H posted it is .010-.015". Anyway, this is all good fun, I enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    Ablation,Accretion Blah Blah Blah
    Sorry SR and Paul just had to
    Thanks Mic, I think we got it out of our system.

More hard work this weekend, way too much fun. Here's the latest from Portugal, the "PMP" Open 12 chassis....testing next week.

DSCN4164

I think that's enough work for a weekend, now time to relax and watch the F1 race finally. Hey Pat, have you ever had this stuff?

DSCN4167

OK SR,
    Someone has to ask.... what are the notes that you have for the chassis that are just out of the picture ?

SR,

Very cool looking chassis... I like the way the weight is concentrated in the rear of the pans and the setup of the front weights.. What size rails did you use?
    The Race Place raceplaceinfo.com
    Bowskateer founding member #3
    Get a 3rd EYE Fetroller 2.1
    Balanced by Bill

never mind the chassis !!

Never mind the chassis. I am an ale lover and have not seen that one before!! Please bring a six pack of that at the next test or is it in a four pack like most good ales

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    More hard work this weekend, way too much fun. Here's the latest from Portugal, the "PMP" Open 12 chassis....testing next week.

DSCN4164

I think that's enough work for a weekend, now time to relax and watch the F1 race finally. Hey Pat, have you ever had this stuff?

DSCN4167

Since I started the "Ablation" discourse - Ablation -- As in "Track Ablation" - Removal of track surface via friction/scraping.

Accretion sounds like the compounding of Accumulation & Secretion and would probably initiate more segways to greater thread drift.....
    Guy Middleton
    Everything I was taught in Engineering school I had already learned from slot cars....