Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Other chassis you should consider for g12 are the BSP OG12 (watch out for the new version due to come out very soon) and the other chassis to consider as it has won OG12 at the last 2 BSCRA24 nats is the 09 Horky.

Quote Originally Posted by patraceruk View Post
    Other chassis you should consider for g12 are the BSP OG12 (watch out for the new version due to come out very soon) and the other chassis to consider as it has won OG12 at the last 2 BSCRA24 nats is the 09 Horky.
    The BSP GT12 (2010 version) chassis is another good choice. The BSP GT12 (2010 version) chassis holds the track record for both fastest race lap and total laps on Lou Pirro's Super 8, the track of the 2011 ISRA USA North American Championships.

In the case of both the Mack and BSP chassis, the GT12 chassis have been as good or better in all cases than the OG-12 chassis for me. However, I am not sure why. Anyone have any ideas?
    Farmingdale, NJ 07727
    732-938-5215

My dislike of the BSP GT12 chassis is the front pan mounts are such that in a hard crash the chassis can come apart and you can't fix it without some seroius work (often requiring R&R of the pans). To me this "fragility" will keep me from running the chassis even if it is a tenth faster in lap time.

At least with the Bulldog, if you break the upstop the car is still drivable allowing you to finish the race. With the BSP GT12 if it breaks by popping the pan your race is done or at the very least you lose a minute or two of race time while you work on the chassis.

The lap record for GT12 on the Twister was set with my Bulldog 1.
    Gary Johnson

The fast lap on the Monster was set with a BSP 4.49 Roy Hood at the 2010 Masters. But has now been passed in testing with a Bulldog 2 4.42
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

I run a BSP GT-12 and have had no problems with front up stop and it's been hit hard a few times.back on track for philly race paid race fee's and finished 1/24 euro motor 20 251/2 .500 dia arms single valiko mags arm just back from balance and a little tough up grind .Pulling the quad mag setup apart and putting in an older 23 25 PK arm and going to mount in 1/32 euro then its 12 time chassis needs to come apart for a real good cleaning and set up on the block will also be testing my mack open 12 with the proto type mag motor still a little hot but the mack chassis mite be able to handle it . SR are you ready? also have new gr-10 chassis ready for motor my buddy Andrew set it up for me just needs fresh motor and body .will be finishing Mack jrl also this week hopefully testing at Lou's this Saturday.
    Last edited by Mic Byrd; 06-20-2011 at 05:36 PM.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Jerry123 (Jerry Herbert)
    SCR - I find your testing results very interesting, especially about the Mack GT12 versus the Mack Open 12. I find the Mack GT12 easier to drive and faster than the OG-12 chassis....

Any pictures of the OG-12 chassis to see the weight configuration? What about rail size?

Slotcar Racer:
    Jerry, your comments almost fit what I have heard from Richard Mack himself, and that is the Bulldog is more forgiving and the Mack OG12 is harder to drive…but Mack says the OG12 is always faster. I have admittedly not done my testing correctly because I have different motors in the different prototype chassis I am testing for Richard…and I think the motor in the Open 12 proto chassis is a monster and that is why it ran a 3.60 on Frank’s track two weeks ago whereas the Bulldog ran low 3.7s. However, I did find the Open 12 to be exceptionally smooth and I don’t think that was the motor, I could tell it was the chassis. I think the motors in the Bulldog Protos were really good, but not the best of the lot. We are still prototyping these chassis with some more testing to come, so I am going to refrain from photos until Mack releases his final version. He is sending us another Bulldog 3 proto with a narrower center rail. The Bulldog 3 protos include one version like previous versions with piano wire rails, and another with built in rails very much like the Tazer. I keep hinting to Richard that should be a Bullzer, but so far I have not gotten any response on that name.

Patraceuk (Pat Skene):

Slotcar Racer:

Pat, I have not seen B’s Open chassis before, but we will watch for the latest version. Perhaps we will have a surprise East Coast resident racer at the upcoming Philly event who could perhaps have one of these chassis. For the Horky, I only know one racer who runs it and that is KVAN (Kevin Van Pelt) and I seem to remember he likes it.

Jerry123:

The BSP GT12 (2010 version) chassis is another good choice. The BSP GT12 (2010 version) chassis holds the track record for both fastest race lap and total laps on Lou Pirro's Super 8, the track of the 2011 ISRA USA North American Championships.

In the case of both the Mack and BSP chassis, the GT12 chassis have been as good or better in all cases than the OG-12 chassis for me. However, I am not sure why. Anyone have any ideas?
    Slotcar Racer:

Jerry, I too have seen several examples of the BSP chassis as being very fast, and I did witness Roy’s record lap on the Midwest Monster at the 2010 Masters. Also, many in the NORCAL series here run the BSP with success.
    You mention the anomoly of GT12s being as fast as Open 12s. I would agree. When I went to the first Masters in Chicago in 2008, all the Speedshopsters were running Slick 7 ASP 4s. The ISRA racers ran fancy expensive Open 12s. The Open 12s were no match for the USRA legal GT12s with their rear axle bushings!! In fact, I never did see a fast Open 12 chassis in successive Masters events at Mid America, it has always been dominated by GT12s.
    I would consider myself a better racer than qualifier. That said, I have seen cars qualify with blazing speed, but get demolished in the race. There is something to be said for having a car that is not TOO FAST. I know that is counter intuitive, but it is very hard to race with slower cars around you unless you really know how to deal with a fast closing rate. The best racers know how to close in on a slower car and do it successfully.

GearBear (Gary Johnson)

My dislike of the BSP GT12 chassis is the front pan mounts are such that in a hard crash the chassis can come apart and you can't fix it without some serious work (often requiring R&R of the pans). To me this "fragility" will keep me from running the chassis even if it is a tenth faster in lap time.

Slotcar Racer:

Gary, you may be right about hard crashes, but I am not sure it is 100% the chassis design in error. I would again refer to what I wrote above about closing rates and how to successfully negotiate traffic with a car that is at least a tenth faster than the rest of the field.

Mazur50 (Mike Mazur):

The fast lap on the Monster was set with a BSP 4.49 Roy Hood at the 2010 Masters. But has now been passed in testing with a Bulldog 2 4.42

Slotcar Racer:

I have never set the fast lap on the Monster, yet I won the 2010 Masters and the 2011 USRA Scale Nats. Again, outright speed is a very good thing, but you have to know how to use it effectively. My cars are never particularly fast, but I think my mind is what is running my race, not the car.

Mic Byrd

I run a BSP GT-12 and have had no problems with front up stop and it's been hit hard a few times.

Slotcar Racer:

Mic, you must be using your BSP car effectively when you race.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Wow SR, that is hard to read!

Good point on the closing rate being an issue. More than once I have had issues with that. That is when you really have to drive with your eyes open! I had such a car at last years Flats in Eurosport. On that day I could easily overtake any car at any time. While it was awesome, the real difficult part of that race was pacing myself to not come up on people too fast. Ultimately I was able to do so. I just wish I had the ability to always drive like that!

As for the design flaw (my opinion) of the BSP front pan mounts. I just much prefer the pan mounts on the Bulldog 1 and 2. The U shaped design of the BD is a better design IMHO. If I were Richard I would continue to use it but beef up the up stops a bit so they no longer have a tendency to break as easily. Also, my first experience with the BSP problem was due to a driver mistake on my part when I was the only one on the track! DOH! As you know, the Twister is very fast. And putting a car into the wall can be at very high speeds. When this is done with the BSP it often results in the issue I talked about. When it happens with the BD you just put the car back on the track and continue on.
    Gary Johnson

I had an R8 mounted on a Cheetah 11 for NORCAL LMP class....still had the diaplane up front. NORCAL requires cutting on the cut line. So, I took this body and found the rear mounts lined up perfectly with a Horky eurosport! I just trimmed off the diaplane and mounted it on one of the Horkys. The lower one measures 1.535" as the car sits on the tech block with tires, the other one which I tested last weekend is 1.585".

DSCN4176

The lower version:

DSCN4177

The higher version:

DSCN4178

The Audi R10 Shorty is the one which I found worked TONS better last weekend:

DSCN4180
    Last edited by Slotcar Racer; 06-22-2011 at 08:42 AM.

Then the comparison between the lower R8 versus the R10 Shorty which measure 1.360"

DSCN4179

See the brand new prototype BSp OG12 chassis image attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bsp og12 2011..jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	9022  

Pat, thanks for posting the BSP Open 12 photo. I can see some design elements seen in other chassis, but I would be a bit worried about the durability in the front end. Looks like the front of the pans are only held in by a single pin on each side and no down stop for the outside corner of the pan. Looks flexible though. Very interesting! I may have to post some Mack Open 12 proto photo soon.

Slotcar Racer

There is a stop on the front look at the leftside "bottom" you can see it better.

Mike
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

The stop on the right front of the chassis appears to be broken off
    Ken Swanson

Team BOW
    JK Products
    Chicagoland Raceway
    Mid-America Raceway
    ISRA USA Great Lakes Region
    BOWskateer Founding member # 001
    R.I.P. Monty. Miss You My Friend

Oh yeah, thanks for pointing that out guys. It's kind of one of those "before and after" all in one chassis. I wonder how this one worked with the broken front stop, I'd think the front of that pan would be digging into the track.

Remember guys. this is a prototype. Brian always tests a number of concepts before he goes into production. Here is what he calls a pre production version. You will see it has strengthened stops and some other tweeks. These chassis came 1st and 2nd at the recent highland BOC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bsp og12 2011 pre&#32.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	9041