Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Quote Originally Posted by patraceruk View Post
    Remember guys. this is a prototype. Brian always tests a number of concepts before he goes into production. Here is what he calls a pre production version. You will see it has strengthened stops and some other tweeks. These chassis came 1st and 2nd at the recent highland BOC.
    Pat, the fact that this is a prototype is well worth remembering, I'm sure B's production version will be nicely beefed up. It really does look like a good chassis.

Getting back to preparation for the Philadelphia race, now I am admitting I am getting way too involved in the Group 10 class. I'm out of control now. I took my NORCAL NASCAR chassis and put some time into straightening it out....it's a Cheetah 11 .025" center section with the .030" pans. Put in new bushings last night at 42T level and pulled the 16D out of the X25 so I can test the three pan chassis. Of course I had to pin up a new Starfighter for it as the body mounts are not compatible. I'll give this a try this weekend and see what times I can get out of the C11.....then I should probably put the motor back in the X25 and compare times once again. Are we running other classes at the ISRA Nats? Oh yeah, there's five other classes...UGH! So much work prepping for this event!!! Quick, send the wwaaaaaaahhhhbulance
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

George,

My favorite C11 configurations are as follows...

.030 center with .025 pans
    .030 center with .030 1 piece pan (X24?)

X25 .035 center and pan
    X25 .035 center with .025 pans (I ran this configuration at the Nats on the King, and here with the Hawk 7 in Adv LMP)
    Getting the X25 to work with the .025 pans requires a bit of tweaking to keep the pans from dragging due to the drastic differences in the thickness of the two materials. But it can be done and actually seems to work pretty well.

I've never liked the .025 center in any configuration. I feel the car is very unforgiving with that center. I've tried it with Alum pans, .025 pans and .030 pans and just don't like it.
    Gary Johnson

Back to the drawing board for a 1/32 motor loaded a older 23/25 in quad can but arm is no good so waiting for a new 1 to arrive it will be a 23/26 .480 dia for the quad setup and also will order a valiko 23/25 next week to have an extra arm for 1/32 euro . work has been very time consuming lately next week I will start prep 1 car at a time and get ready for philly also have a bunch of motors to rebuild.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

George, Roy,

I ran on Lou's track at the recent birthday race. Great race! Great track! Very different from Mid-America, in that it's not as technical, but very fast. The hard part is not so much staying on, but rather driving absolutely at the limit all of the time. Casey and Jerry H have this down.

All of my cars, in the end, ran best set up exactly like in Chicago. That said, I decided to lower my 1/32 ES, an 08 Horky, and I had to sand the he!! off of the bottom of the guide to do it. So George, your modification will work out well.

Similarly. I was told that an x-25 would be fastest for grp 10 and B-prod, so I ran one, and indeed, it was fine (tho I was not), but I had the distinct impression at the end that a longer wheelbase, i.e. a standard C-11 would have been better.

Regular old Mack Bulldog G12s and 1/24 ESs run very well on this track.

I gave Lou my Nanomotor Mossetti to run. The motor was intermittently very fast and the car was fine when the motor was on. After the race we tested it for a while and found that it had an intermittent short that we couldn't find. All in all tho, a very good outing for that car. I'm thinking that in 1 or 2 iterations the car will be ready for prime time, at which time Ernie will need to search for a better driver than me.

Greg

Greg, fantastic report, lots of good intel there. The track sounds a lot like our local track, the Testarossa....not technical like the Monster, more of a push-push-push track, extremely high speed. But on the Testarossa, normally a eurosport will get around in 3.0 seconds....if conditions are absolutely stellar, 2.9s. It's a contest of how fast you can push hard all the way around the track for the whole race.

Sounds like you went the sanded guide method on the 08 Horky ES32. I did that plus the chassis mod. My hope is that Super 8 has a little more recess than the Testarossa (which hardly has any recess at all).

In Group 10, like I said, spending wwwaaaaaayyy too much time on this class!! Today I'm testing the C11 chassis with the short Starfighter....put finishing touches on it last night. In response to Gary Johnson, 2010 Flat Track Worlds Eurosport Champion, Edgewood, Washington, at first I hated the .025" center section for the C11. Found it to be a chatterbox. I first thought it was only suited towards the Falcon motors....less weight, less torque. Then, strangely enough, I put a 16D in it with a NASCAR body to run in NORCAL series.....however, important part of this change was jigging the rear axle for a 44T angled spur...NORCAL has had a .750" min rear tire rule (eliminated for next season though). For whatever reason, with the higher axle, the chassis chattering (when starting) was minimized enough to not be a problem. Since then, I have run this set up quite a bit, although my B Production (USRA LMP) is still the .030" center with the .025" pans. I think part of making these work right is, as Gary pointed out, making the proper adjustments to the C11 chassis movement.

That said, Greg, I still have my X25 ready to go and after testing the C11 this afternoon, will move the motor back to the X25 again.

Your assessments of the Bulldog and the Mack Eurosport on the Super 8 matches my expectations. I'll have all the above with me. The Mack Eurosport was great on The Twister in Edgewood last month, but the track conditions changed a bit and I went back to the Horky.

I hope you get the nano motor short sorted out, Ernie's car is a beautifully crafted piece, yet I have not seen it driven in anger. Perhaps you'll get a chance to run it in Philly! See ya there Greg.

Just took delivery of the travel shelf from Whitey's Slotcar Boxes of Gilroy, Calif. The first I heard of the shelving idea for pit space was at The Worlds when Gugu had some shelves from Target. Many Worlds participants went to Target and bought various shelves including the way too big one I purchased....however, it is now a book shelf at daughter's house in Naperville, only 20 minute drive from Mid America. Our next visit to Mid America was April for the USRA Scale Nats, and we bought Closetmaid shelves. Daughter now has three of these. I got the idea of just packing one of these shelves in the slot suitcase, but the Closetmaid weighs over 15 lbs. I could cut out lightening holes and got it down to about 8 lbs. Finally, I decided I needed to hire Whitey's to make a shelf to match the box.

DSCN4192

Box fits perfectly above the shelves, tools go at the bottom, and the middle shelf is for parts, analyzer, etc.

DSCN4193

He found some awesome quick releases so no need for a screwdriver and screws.

DSCN4194

Just put the end plates on the shelves and clip the plastic parts together with metal clips.

DSCN4195

I brought the lightened Closetmaid to the Seattle Slugfest and the pit bench worked perfectly....only the shelf didn't look quite cool enough. I like this new one, it's coming with me to Phillie.

What brand pinion and spur gears do you guys run on Flexi Cars?
    What would you start out with for gearing on a flat track for B Production and Group 10?
    Thanks

Looking good George, can't wait to see it next month in person.

Greg N,

Thanks for the info. No surprise that Casey has the track down. Casey and I learned flat track racing the same way, by chasing Greg Gilbert around Uncle Kal’s Korkscrew.

Good to hear cars set up for Mid-America run well (after taking into account the braid depth). I mean, I can’t do much other than bring what runs well at Mid-America. I don’t have anything else. :-)

My race day tuning is going to be limited to try a motor or two, try guide washer in or out, try a tooth different on the spur gear. Tires also but that is kind of a last minute track condition decision. I’m bringing a few versions of JK B-Prod/Gp10 chassis. Like GearBear & SCR say, it’s all about how you control the pan movement with those chassis. For Gp10, my initial guess is going to be the C11 chassis and O/S 066 Mercedes body.

Speaking of Group 10, yesterday I found that the Cheetah 11 light center section/.030" pan combo was awful! Chattered all over the place. I pulled the motor and put it back in the X25, and I used the same set of tires from the Cheetah 11 to make it a fair test....the X25 killed it! No comparison. I wonder if the Cheetah 11 pans work on the X25 center?

Did one final comparo between the Audi R8 and the R10 Short on Eurosport yesterday. Track conditions were extremely loose and the R8 couldn't even stay on the track whereas the R10 Short was bolted. Amazing amount of difference.

SR,

Great feedback from all that have contributed to the Super 8 conversation! Hopefully I can add some to it. In Group 10 a couple of things come to mind. The X 25 is the way to go based on the testing I and some friends have done. Front end height is key. As for your question "will the X 25 center with C 11 pans work" they do based on results... The car that won the class at the B-day race was setup that way...
    The Race Place raceplaceinfo.com
    Bowskateer founding member #3
    Get a 3rd EYE Fetroller 2.1
    Balanced by Bill

The only pan that does not work is the x24 pan but .025 & .030 pan to work with some work.
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

I just have one question about putting C11 pans on the X25 center. What is that chassis called, and is it legal? I believe the rules say you can run a Cheetah 11. I also think the rules say you can run an X25. But, what chassis do you have when you put the two together? Is that chassis now a legal flexi chassis? Is it a Cheetah 25 or an X11? Thought I'd just throw that piece of bait out there....

Just for the sake of clarification, I have copied and pasted the rules for the Phillie race below. Please note that there are specific allowances for Parma chassis, Champion chassis, Cheetah chassis "may use lightweight pans" and allowances for Cheetah 7. However, there is no mention of switching pans between the X25 and anything else....as far as I can tell, you can only run an X25 meaning the X25 center section and top pan are the only combination.

B-production: 3 minute heats
    Chassis:
    Kelly/Pro-Slot: FX chassis (all varieties).
    Parma: Flexi 1, Flexi 2 (may interchange pans and use Parma hot-wing), Flexi 3 (with any flexi 3 pan),
    Flexi-4, and Flexi 5.
    Champion: Turbo Flex, Astro Flex, (may use aluminum pans).
    JK- Cheetah (may use light weight pans), Cheetah 7(may mix & match pans & center sections; may
    reverse pans), Scorpion 1,2, & 3 , Cheetah 11 (C and D-can versions), Cheetah X24, Cheetah X25
    Mossetti: Titan & Titan SS
    The chassis may not be cut and cannot be bent from its original shape.
    Exceptions:
    May grind motor bracket for gear clearance.
    Pan movement may be increased or restricted.
    Front wheel towers may be trimmed.
    Rear axle vertical location may be changed.
    Nothing may be added to the chassis if not mentioned in the list below:
    Lead may be taped or glued to the chassis.
    Pin tubes may be added in the original body mounting holes and can be floating or fixed to the chassis.
    Rear bushings may be soldered to the chassis (no ball bearings).
    Motor may be soldered to the chassis (screws are optional).
    Chassis may be braced with no more than 3" of up to .062" diameter piano wire.
    May add commercially available guide tongue reinforcement.
    Tape may be applied.
    Lead wire retainer may be added.

That's too easy!! Its 11:25 ( see)