Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

2011 USRA Rules - Page 51:

Stamped Steel Chassis Regulations

1. Chassis
    - a) Must be a commercially-available approved chassis.
    - b) Must be made of stamped and formed metal. The portions to which the motor attached must be steel. Floating pans may be steel, aluminum, or brass.
    - c) May use lightweight replacement pans and center sections.
    - d) May interchange parts from a single manufacturer; such as Flexi and Flexi-2 parts, JK long or short center sections, and heavy or light pans on JK chassis.
    - e) Chassis may have a maximum of three chassis parts consisting of one solid center section and maximum of two separate pans. No additional pans or two piece center sections allowed.
    - f) No modifications except for the following:
    - g) May solder or glue motor, axle oilites, and front wheel retainers.

I would have to say that your C11 / X25 chassis/pan combo is covered by rules 1c & 1d, and still satisfies all the others as well.

PK
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

DOH!!! Here I am pasting USRA Rules!!! (way past my bedtime!)

Well.... I guess that you would have been legal if you had tried that at this year's USRA Div II Nats...
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

SR,

What I posted was just an observation not a judgment as to the combinations legality. I had the same thought as you so I reread the rule book and agree with you. Using anything other then the pans made for the X25 would not be legal at the championship race.
    The Race Place raceplaceinfo.com
    Bowskateer founding member #3
    Get a 3rd EYE Fetroller 2.1
    Balanced by Bill

Quote Originally Posted by oldweirdherald View Post
    DOH!!! Here I am pasting USRA Rules!!! (way past my bedtime!)

Well.... I guess that you would have been legal if you had tried that at this year's USRA Div II Nats...
    Paul, thanks for posting the USRA rules, that was really useful. I was discussing this with CRASH CODGER for the NORCAL series because their rules are....

Approved Chassis

* Must use current, commercially available 4” flexi-car production chassis. No prototypes allowed. The only approved chassis are listed below:
    * Champion
    o Astro & Turbo Flex
    * JK
    o Cheetah 11 and Cheetah 7, Scorpion I, II & III
    * Kelly
    o
    * Mossetti
    o Titan
    * Parma
    o Flexi I, II, III, IV, V
    * Pro-Slot
    o
    * RJR
    o Road Runner and Gambler
    * Trinity/Slot Works
    o Spyder & Spyder 2000

Allowed Chassis Modifications:

* May solder or glue motor to chassis
    * May add lead or brass weight
    * May solder or glue rear oilites
    * May reinforce rear uprights with piano wire or Slick 7 “U” brace
    * May file holes in motor bracket, but must retain all of the bracket
    * May use a piano wire motor brace no longer than 1” and may connect to chassis motor bracket
    * Fixed or floating pin tubes and guide tongue support are allowed.
    * Must use oilites/bronze bushings.
    * Commercially available aluminum pans designed for the chassis being used are allowed.
    * May reverse pan on the cheetah 7 chassis, However, pan cannot be cut or trimmed and front wheels must be free to rotate.

Disallowed Chassis Modifications:

* No ball bearings allowed at rear axle
    * No axle tube bracing front or rear
    * No cutting or modifying of chassis in any way. Chassis may be ever so slightly filed to increase or decrease movement of the chassis pan.

Hi, it's me, Slotcar Racer, I'm back from NORCAL LAND. So, as you can see, NORCAL's rules are like the ones posted for the ISRA USA Nationals, except NORCAL doesn't even have the JK Xs listed (yet).

Jeff714, I am totally with you my friend, I am only observing this and not making any judgments about it. I do like how USRA makes their rule very clear on this point, it's a case where they have opened up the rules a lot more. Might be nice if the ISRA guys clarified their rules a bit, might help with this issue. I'll ask fxgeorge to post something outside this thread, see if he'll say something. fx, are you there?
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

JK- Cheetah (may use light weight pans)
    Since the X25 is a "Cheetah" and the .025" and .030" pans would be considered "light weight pans", I would say it is legal. But I think you should call Lou and ask him!

Very interesting that you found the .025" center with the .030" pans to be a chatter box the other day with the high down force body on it. Maybe the reason it works so well for Nascar is that the tightness of the chassis makes up for the loss of down force?
    Gary Johnson

Sunday I changed things up a little and finished a project I started a few weeks ago, just had to buy a new motor for it

DSCN4197

I put the JK Products F1 body on it, has a new Falcon 7 and geared it 9:30 with 72 pitch pinion and the green crown gear. It has 2mm rear axle with axle bearings and Speedshop F1 tires. Tire size a bit bigger than F1 Eurosport, they are .625", same size as front tires.

DSCN4198

made some progress finally got the 1/32 mosetti done just need to mount a body after I paint some have about 15 bodies to do . It sound great looks great hpoe it runs great now on to the mack jrl will post some pic's when jrl is done
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    made some progress finally got the 1/32 mosetti done just need to mount a body after I paint some have about 15 bodies to do . It sound great looks great hpoe it runs great now on to the mack jrl will post some pic's when jrl is done
    Any photos of the Mosetti Mic? Fifteen bodies....I feel for you, man! I just hate doing bodies...but it is all part of being a slotcar racer, in the job description. Looking forward to seeing you soon Mic. Maybe Rocky will buy us some cheesesteaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Any photos of the Mosetti Mic? Fifteen bodies....I feel for you, man! I just hate doing bodies...but it is all part of being a slotcar racer, in the job description. Looking forward to seeing you soon Mic. Maybe Rocky will buy us some cheesesteaks.
    SCR, the best part of painting bodies is to have someone else do it for ya! lol I happen to have a extremely talented painter as a customer and now he's painting almost all the bodies for my track and skidmarks, he likes doing the scale bodies but we all race wings if you need some painted let me know im sure he'd like to do some more. Oh and one of his quick paint jobs won concours at the div. 2 nats it was a am lmp body if memory serves me correctly.Concours Winner: Brandon Jarman am lmp
    Give me my glue bottle!!!!!!!!!![B]

I forgot to mention in my previous post: the braid recess on Lou's track is now about the same as at Mid-America. More precisely, I think that it is 0.003 - 0.005 less, which was the problem with my 08 Horky 1/32 ES I described above. I solved this with a paper thin guide, but SR has the real fix. The older horky runs fine there, especially if you take some of the rotational motion out of the front of the chassis.

BTW, I won't be at the Philly race. Too much going on! See you all at the World's in Brazil, I hope. I'm just trying to help all of the Westerners (meaning anybody west of NY state) so that they don't get too stomped by Jerry, Matt, and my new friend, Casey! :-)

Greg

Yo Greg!

Sorry you can't make the gig in Philly. I'll see you sometime in the next 12 month.

Tony
    OWH Slotographer

In race announcements Jerry123 does say it is legal to mix and match pans.

(Here's a direct link to Jerry's post: ISRA USA - X25/C11 - link added by "mom")
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 06-28-2011 at 08:30 AM. Reason: added link to post

Thanks, Tony!!

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    George since you are flying 3000+ miles to race I figure the least I can do it buy you your first true Philly Cheesesteak. The only question now is, will you be a Pat's guy or a Geno's guy? My personal solution to this issue is to eat one of each every time I'm in Philly.

Philly cheesesteaks are the best but not with Cheese Wiz, only with provolone. My favorite place is long gone. It was called Blindman's and it was on the navy base at the end of Broad St. The Navy base is gone to. I guess I'll have to try both Geno's and Pat's to see if they measure up. I lived in Philly in 1972-73 the two years the Broad Street Bullies won the Stanley Cup. See everyone in Philly. Fred
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.