Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Gee I'm putting on weight just reading this stuff on cheese cake, sandwiches and steaks!!! You haven't lived until you have eaten a deep fried Mars Bar and probably wont live very long if you keep eating them.

Fred,
    The atmosphere of the neighborhood is really a plus.
    On TV, it sometimes comes off as a big commercial intersection.
    (probably because of all the neon from Geno's)
    It's a surprise when you drive up in person.

I just prefer melted provolone over Cheese Whiz.

The quality of the toasted (or freshly baked?) rolls on Garibaldi's make all the difference.

Speaking of Cheese Whiz , I love the empty cans of it stacked along the side the building at Geno's.
    Dumpster? We don't need no stinkin' dumpster.
    It's as if rules really don't apply to them.
    "Get Yourself Retrofied"
    Chicagoland Raceway
    17B West Ogden Ave.
    Westmont,Il. 60559
    Phone-708-203-8003
    mikeswiss86@hotmail.com

Check out Chicagoland Raceway on facebook.

Like you Mike I also prefer the melted provolone over the Wiz. That is the way it was originally.
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.

This just goes to prove, that all good threads, just like Philly cheese steaks, whether coming from Pat's, Geno's or Tony Luke's, ultimately end up in the crapper!

Quote Originally Posted by KVAN View Post
    This just goes to prove, that all good threads, just like Philly cheese steaks, whether coming from Pat's, Geno's or Tony Luke's, ultimately end up in the crapper!
    Kevin, I think you may have successfully ended any aforementioned appetites. Now all I want is to stuff a peanut butter sandwich in my face when I get hungry.

Otherwise, I got the fish rubber donuts glued up last night and making preparations to glue up the super naturals and wonder rubber and Italian rubber next. Waiting for hubs.

Also last night found that my Camen .455T X .300L single mag set up was empty, and I had a fairly new Valiko 23t25 sitting in its tube, so that was a nice match for a good mild eurosport motor. Given what track conditions may be, one should be prepared with everything from a violent monster motor to the quiet mild mannered type motor.

At last year's Chicks Scale Nationals, the Anaconda went super loose on the Friday of the 1/24 eurosport race. Those of us who were there remember our previous practice times of 3.7-3.8 evaporate into the morning sky as we could only manage 4.2 at best. That's when I pulled the motor out of my 1/32 eurosport from the previous day, trued the comm and put in new brushes, then put it in the 1/24 Mack. Turned out to be a perfect match for that day on that track under those conditions.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Ha! Not to worry! I knew Slotcar Racer would successfully segue-way this thread back to slot cars at any time needed!

But reading all these semi-related side-tracks delving into slot car racing cuisine has brought up an interesting observation...

I remember often thinking how ironic it was that raceways would frequently boast about the many local restaurants and attractions when promoting big race events. The irony was that all too often, the racers rarely had time to see anything more then the inside of the raceway, the hotel room, and the Denny's next door!

That has happened to me on way too many occasions, and I often felt like I missed out on some great opportunities to get out and indulge in the what the area has to offer with fellow racing friends.

A BIG part of what is so enjoyable about traveling to other places to play with our toy cars, is too meet new and old friends, and to not only enjoy racing with them, but also the chance to "hang out" with them - at the track as well as outside of the track.

So it is no wonder that many of my fondest memories of traveling to races are of fun things that I saw and did besides the racing, and outside of the raceway!

One of the best things about traveling for whatever reason, is to see different sights, explore different places, and of course - sample the local cuisine.

So all this talk of "slot cars & food" just proves how our appetites for unhealthy* local cuisine is yet another thing we slot car racers have in common that we can enjoy together after a long day of thrashing and racing!

There is nothing better then after a day full of intense competition, going out to a favorite area diner or dive and indulging in the local cuisine and washing it down with a favorite local beer while "bench racing" with friends!

*face it, fellow speed crazed morons - how many times have you read racers bragging about their favorite local health food market or vegetarian restaurant?

Back to slot cars, SR..... Buuuuuuurrrrrrrrrp!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Quote Originally Posted by oldweirdherald View Post
    Ha! Not to worry! I knew Slotcar Racer would successfully segue-way this thread back to slot cars at any time needed!

But reading all these semi-related side-tracks delving into slot car racing cuisine has brought up an interesting observation...

I remember often thinking how ironic it was that raceways would frequently boast about the many local restaurants and attractions when promoting big race events. The irony was that all too often, the racers rarely had time to see anything more then the inside of the raceway, the hotel room, and the Denny's next door!

That has happened to me on way too many occasions, and I often felt like I missed out on some great opportunities to get out and indulge in the what the area has to offer with fellow racing friends.

A BIG part of what is so enjoyable about traveling to other places to play with our toy cars, is too meet new and old friends, and to not only enjoy racing with them, but also the chance to "hang out" with them - at the track as well as outside of the track.

So it is no wonder that many of my fondest memories of traveling to races are of fun things that I saw and did besides the racing, and outside of the raceway!

One of the best things about traveling for whatever reason, is to see different sights, explore different places, and of course - sample the local cuisine.

So all this talk of "slot cars & food" just proves how our appetites for unhealthy* local cuisine is yet another thing we slot car racers have in common that we can enjoy together after a long day of thrashing and racing!

There is nothing better then after a day full of intense competition, going out to a favorite area diner or dive and indulging in the local cuisine and washing it down with a favorite local beer while "bench racing" with friends!

*face it, fellow speed crazed morons - how many times have you read racers bragging about their favorite local health food market or vegetarian restaurant?

Back to slot cars, SR..... Buuuuuuurrrrrrrrrp!
    Mom gets it.

worked on group 10 today freshened up motor and it went flat so the scramble was on finally got two motors together that I'm happy with so group 10 is done. 2 to go open 12 next but the end is in site with herminator making all kinds of tires sure I won't have a problem there. X-25 red fox set up g-2 mags and a BOW 45 degree arm sound real good on supply.
    PS all this food talk is making me hungry have to go and get a sub before grandson's baseball game
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

What are you gearing your group10 and the other cars on the super8?
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

Mike,

Folks were gearing 11/ 40-42.

Tony
    OWH Slotographer

Thanks Tmoore
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

Mike
    7-42 or 43 for b-pro and 12 also jrl got my g-10 at 11-42 may want to go to 41 don't know till I run them this weekend where taking a ride to Lou's Saturday
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper802 View Post
    Mom gets it.
    Not lately!!! But being away from the racing and especially all the friends makes me appreciate and miss it that much more!

"Absence makes the heart grow stronger" - old saying

or the older version, attributed to a Miss Strickland: "'Tis absense, however, that makes the heart grow fonder."

or perhaps the newer version:

"Absinthe makes the fart grow stronger". - or in Phili it would be the Cheese steak... (especially with that Cheese Whiz crap!)

Sorry.... back to gear ratios....
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    Mike
    7-42 or 43 for b-pro and 12 also jrl got my g-10 at 11-42 may want to go to 41 don't know till I run them this weekend where taking a ride to Lou's Saturday
    Mic let me know what time your leaving maybe i hitch a ride with you.
    Robert Geibel
    TEAM BLACK TOWEL
    Power by Mic Byrd & ChaChing Motors.
    Garden State Isra/Usa
    Garden State Isra Club, Bayville NJ
    Retro East
    Retro Chassis by JRM Chassis

Got the new motor set

DSCN4208

and armature from Camen yesterday

DSCN4209

and put it together

DSCN4211

to possibly test tonight. Tomorrow is a non slotcar day. Track closed Sunday. Specs on this, a 23t25 .480" diameter, .250" stacks and overall length .730". Set up is 12 mag .480T X .250L ultrashort.....same length as the "Piero Spec" F1 motor. Going into ES32
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"