Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Here is my take on the axle size. The 2mm axle allows you to get the motor just a little further back without having to grind the trench in the magnets. This is NOT important for handling IMHO but is very important for gear mesh and being able to quickly change gears/tires during a race. By moving the motor back that small amount, we are now able to slide the gear past the pinion without damaging the gear without having to grind down the magnets. I was never able to do so with the larger axle.
    Gary Johnson

Slot Car Racer-
    I have a question mostly unrelated to racing- but a question you may be able to help with. I just got a new pair of eye glasses and there is quite a bit of warping/curving around the edges- is there a different kind of lens I could ask for? I am thinking it would be much easier to see other cars on the track when racing-
    Jasn
    Asking all things relevant-

I'm with you on this one Berteinstein. I started wearing glasses 2 years ago when I realized I couldn't see the scoring monitors as well. My peripheral vision has suffered ever since. The frame stems distract and give me the illusion of a car. I tried contacts, but can't tolerate the feel of something in my eye.

On the racing scene, I tried the short JK Cheetah in 3pc trim last night in our flexi hawk7 races. Mixed results with the loose track conditions, but the potential to be really good has intrigued me. It goes through the keyhole turn so quick, and pivots the 180 so well on the inner lanes, that I feel a need to work further on a better setup. Requires a totally different driving style than the C11 I've been using with success. You can dive in deeper, but you better be on your toes on the exit.

I sure wish Philly was about 3 weeks later! I still have not given up yet.

Quote Originally Posted by KVAN View Post
    SR, oh wise one, I noticed in your response you said "in 1/24th Eurosport", would that imply that 2mm is alright/good for 1/32 scale?

I will assume your answer to be yes as some of your recent builds have used 2mm. Would not the same wobble be present there as well, since we again will assume, we will be torquing the set screws just as hard?

Is the wobble more of a complete axle flex or are the hub designs different between the scales, so as not to be present in the smaller scale?
    Good morning KVP, I am continuing with 2mm axles for ES32 and F1 Eurosport because it works well. One other reason is I have so many 2mm tires and gears for these classes I wouldn't want to switch to 3/32" hardware. With the 1/24 Eurosport, one other reason I did not mention for going to 3/32" axle was the fact I now use the Cahoza carbon fibre hubs.....I forgot mentioning that before because I started using those late last year.....as you may recall, I was trying to find a perfectly true hub, and the Cahoza hubs are about as true as you can get...they are only available in 3/32" axle size.

So, it's partly due to availability of hubs, and partly because most of the top eurosport racers use 3/32" axles in 1/24, and partly because I tested both axles.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Quote Originally Posted by GearBear View Post
    Here is my take on the axle size. The 2mm axle allows you to get the motor just a little further back without having to grind the trench in the magnets. This is NOT important for handling IMHO but is very important for gear mesh and being able to quickly change gears/tires during a race. By moving the motor back that small amount, we are now able to slide the gear past the pinion without damaging the gear without having to grind down the magnets. I was never able to do so with the larger axle.
    Sounds good Gary. Did you try a 3/32" axle on your Horky? I have not had the gear mesh issues you mention, especially since I now use exclusively Horky pinion gears. The only way to truly find out is to test both schemes side by side. If 2mm suits you better, then by all means stay with it. I know that Speedshop is a big proponent of 2mm axles, and that's a major influence in your neck of the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Berteinstein View Post
    Slot Car Racer-
    I have a question mostly unrelated to racing- but a question you may be able to help with. I just got a new pair of eye glasses and there is quite a bit of warping/curving around the edges- is there a different kind of lens I could ask for? I am thinking it would be much easier to see other cars on the track when racing-
    Jasn
    Jasn, your questin is related to racing very many. Thank you very many for this questin as I can now put on my professional optician hat.

The first thing is, your perception of warping, curving and "swim" around the edges of a new pair of glasses is normal...it takes time for you brain to reconfigure the image being fed to it.

Secondly, I wonder if you are now old enough to wear progressive lenses. I know you are just a young whipper snapper still wet behind the ears, but it's possible to need a little help with up close vision in your late 30s. That transition can take a while for some people and there are more peripheral distortions with PALs (Progressive Addition Lenses). If you have started wearing a PAL, keep in mind that the distance area of this lens design is the best part of the lens, almost the same as the single vision width of clarity.

Third, it could be your frame choice. I really like Greg Gilbert's new slot car glasses. He has a good optician down there in Hicksville who got him into a rimless frame (aka, the "Frameless Glasses") with oversize lenses. Looked like about a 61mm eyesize (width of the lens) on those...and that's a really big "window". I tend to wear a 55 eyesize for racing. You can find the eyesize of your frame written on it, either on the inside of the bridge (connector between lenses) or on the temple (side piece). It might be 49-20 where 49 is the width and 20 is the distance between the lenses.

If your optician was trying to get the lenses nicely centered over your eyes, as is best practice, then you may have a fairly small lens. For slot car racing, you may want an oversized lens....not "best practice" for daily use, but think of these as an "occupational pair" such as what Greg Gilbert has. With an oversize lens, your eyes will appear to be close together giving the illusion of being cross eyed....that is what we try to avoid for daily use glasses for the best cosmetic appearance. You may not remember what people wore in the early 80s, after all you were probably still in your crib crying your head off, but we used to wear really large glasses back then, like big windshields. Those are great for slot car racing.

Quote Originally Posted by KVAN View Post
    I'm with you on this one Berteinstein. I started wearing glasses 2 years ago when I realized I couldn't see the scoring monitors as well. My peripheral vision has suffered ever since. The frame stems distract and give me the illusion of a car. I tried contacts, but can't tolerate the feel of something in my eye.

On the racing scene, I tried the short JK Cheetah in 3pc trim last night in our flexi hawk7 races. Mixed results with the loose track conditions, but the potential to be really good has intrigued me. It goes through the keyhole turn so quick, and pivots the 180 so well on the inner lanes, that I feel a need to work further on a better setup. Requires a totally different driving style than the C11 I've been using with success. You can dive in deeper, but you better be on your toes on the exit.

I sure wish Philly was about 3 weeks later! I still have not given up yet.
    KVP, I seem to remember that your glasses were a good fit, but referring to my missive to Berenstein or whatever his name is, for slot car racing you need to twist your optician's arm into designing an oversize pair for your slotcar racing. If you explain to him/her that you have special needs (kind of like slotcar racing is a disability of sorts) and this is an occupational pair of glasses, they can get you into a large frame. Ask for the "Jonathan 2" by Marchon....it is basically "Geezer Glasses", big aviator style metal frame, it's available in several sizes....go for the monster size, over 60mm.

Back to slotcars....I fixed the front end of my other Horky ES32 last night. I raised the guide tongue even more this time using a .019" shim. I also fabricated a new "T" piece for the front. Took the stock "T" and soldered it to a sheet of spring steel, then did the cut out around the original piece...it was pretty easy to get the bottom of the piece shaped. It was trickier getting the top part right, but I basically added .019" in height. It came out incredibly well, so well that I do not have to add lexan shims to eliminate the up and down movement by virtue of how I redesigned the "T". Got it put back together, then one of those delicate little stops in the rear broke, so now I have to repair that. The front of the chassis is now right down on the tech block where it should be. This is the chassis that has the new Camen motor in it. Testing this weekend.

Richard Mack, I need your help!!!

DSCN4243

Marchon Jonathan 2 Eyeglasses

Hey - those look exactly like what I have! And here I thought I was still wearing 1995 style glasses, I can now rest assured that I am not really "out of style" - but I can take comfort in the fact that I am just wearing "occupational" glasses.

Sorry to revive the sidetrack, SR, but I have another eyewear question... At least it IS related to slot racing, and certainly up your alley of expertise.

Mine are bifocals, and I have found that bifocals can be extremely annoying at times when racing slot cars - especially when my car goes down the straight in front of me, and I am now looking through the bifocal reading part, and it gets blurry.

I have noticed Bill Clemans usually drives with his glasses slid down on his nose granny style, so I have tried that, and it actually helps. I also have a spare pair of "driving" glasses, mostly for driving the 1/1 car, but these also work well for driving slot cars. The problem is, that between heats when I check out my car (no actually working on it allowed in AMCA scale racing), I now do not have any close-up vision with these glasses. So I wind up wearing the geezer goggles to flip down between heats.

Are bifocals a common problem for driving slot cars? Is it something people just get used to? Or is it best to have a pair of single lens "driving" glasses, and use the geezers for pitting?

BTW - I got my glasses here in the Philippines a few years ago for around $30-40 USD each - and that was frames, lens, case, & eye exam. (very likely they are cheap knock-offs, however)

Back to slot cars...

Regarding your Mack chassis pictured above... I noticed another slot to the left of #1... but it appears it may be too narrow for one of the inserts?
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 07-07-2011 at 10:07 AM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Speaking of glasses. One of the best things I have done for my racing was getting progressive bifocals. They are specifically made for reading on the computer, so they don't have the close focus for reading books, but they are awesome for driving. I have clip on magnifiers that I use for working on the cars. It works for me.
    Gary Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by oldweirdherald View Post

Marchon Jonathan 2 Eyeglasses

Hey - those look exactly like what I have! And here I thought I was still wearing 1995 style glasses, I can now rest assured that I am not really "out of style" - but I can take comfort in the fact that I am just wearing "occupational" glasses.

Sorry to revive the sidetrack, SR, but I have another eyewear question... At least it IS related to slot racing, and certainly up your alley of expertise.

Mine are bifocals, and I have found that bifocals can be extremely annoying at times when racing slot cars - especially when my car goes down the straight in front of me, and I am now looking through the bifocal reading part, and it gets blurry.

I have noticed Bill Clemans usually drives with his glasses slid down on his nose granny style, so I have tried that, and it actually helps. I also have a spare pair of "driving" glasses, mostly for driving the 1/1 car, but these also work well for driving slot cars. The problem is, that between heats when I check out my car (no actually working on it allowed in AMCA scale racing), I now do not have any close-up vision with these glasses. So I wind up wearing the geezer goggles to flip down between heats.

Are bifocals a common problem for driving slot cars? Is it something people just get used to? Or is it best to have a pair of single lens "driving" glasses, and use the geezers for pitting?

BTW - I got my glasses here in the Philippines a few years ago for around $30-40 USD each - and that was frames, lens, case, & eye exam. (very likely they are cheap knock-offs, however)

Back to slot cars...

Regarding your Mack chassis pictured above... I noticed another slot to the left of #1... but it appears it may be too narrow for one of the inserts?
    First, about the Mack, Richard was trying to tease my brain into solving the "jigsaw puzzle" of building the chassis....I pleaded with him and finally he emailed this photo...now I can build!!!

slotcar 057

Second, Slapshot wears a Marchon frame too, the M-207

Third, Clemens has it right...he's just getting the line out of the way. You could also order a pair for slotcars if you don't like to appear your glasses are falling off by having the optician set the line at about 8mm.....you'll have mostly distance area, and just a little slice of near vision for working on your cars.

OMG!! I wear almost identical frames with bifocal lenses. The problem is that the angle they sit on my face changed when they were damaged in the auto accident two years ago.

I also often let them slide down my nose - in fact, they tend to do that without my help - and that yeilds THREE settings: lower lens, upper lens, and no lens. Best uses are, respectively, computer screen/keyboard, driving ( auto or slotcar), and seeing the fine detail of my armature or motor work. In other words, to take a good look at something, its glasses off and hold object 4 - 5 inches from eyes.

Paul, you are missing an obvious business opportunity! I would get a local exam and prescription, and happily pay you double to fill the order. I should come out a hundred bucks ahead that way, even allowing that I get a medicare discount.

Maybe SR would like to bid on this work... at the rate he is selling his race winning G12 arms, his supply will run out!
    A clean slotcar is a happy slotcar!!

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Richard Mack, I need your help!!!

DSCN4243
    SR on Richards web site he has some building instructions and says if you want side movement in pivot us oval in front if not use round . hope this helps
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Mic I think that this is the new ES32 chassis.

Mike
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot