Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Whatever turns up in the Koford box stock set-ups.

One interesting aspect on G12 came flitting through my in box this morning - As you guys probably know, in addition to the hawk 7, JK also has a "Hawk" motor, with removable endbell etc. This week it is announced that JK now have an all new endbell for this designed for full length motor brushes and "american coms" also a set of Neo replacement magnets. Hot on this announcment, Koford are making a G12 armature to fit this set-up. Sounds like an interesting combo - light, compact and quick - Now I just have to wait for the armatures to arrive and testing begining.

vbr

Andy
    AB Slotsport
    Andy B

Quote Originally Posted by ab slotsport View Post
    Whatever turns up in the Koford box stock set-ups.

One interesting aspect on G12 came flitting through my in box this morning - As you guys probably know, in addition to the hawk 7, JK also has a "Hawk" motor, with removable endbell etc. This week it is announced that JK now have an all new endbell for this designed for full length motor brushes and "american coms" also a set of Neo replacement magnets. Hot on this announcment, Koford are making a G12 armature to fit this set-up. Sounds like an interesting combo - light, compact and quick - Now I just have to wait for the armatures to arrive and testing begining.

vbr

Andy
    AB Slotsport
    What's the stock arm dia in the hawk? What do Koford have to do special to fit a X12 arm in there?

Found my own answer: http://www.koford.com/slot/pics.html
    Last edited by pilmat; 01-20-2011 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Found answer
    Phil Matthews

Hawk stack diameter is 0.513 and stack length is 0.395 but the actual armature length (front of com to back of rear spacer) is 0.905 so I guess shorter than a standard G12 which is think is 1.075
    Andy B

Just called Paul Pfeiffer to order some Cahoza carbon fibre rims. If these last a long time, the tolerance is down to .0027", so they are quite true. I ordered the .394" diameter and the .787" width. In the long run, I think these may be a good investment...they cost more, but more accurate. My experience with magnesium hubs lately has not been good. Only about half of what I get are reasonably true, and lately the set screw holes have been drilled too close to the edge of the hub so they strip out really easily. I'm hopeful these CZ hubs will work out better. I got em in 3/32" axle only. Unfortunately the 2mm hubs do not come in the .394" diameter, only in a larger .422" which I think is too big for cars running 44T 80 pitch spurs....I start at .650". Report to follow in a few weeks when I get my hands on these new rims.

Russ:

What is thier weight and are they available in larger sizes?
    NONE

Slotcar Racer,

If you think the Carbon Fiber Rims are good, wait until you try them out with the latest, greatest, coolest combo yet...

Carbon Fiber Tires!!!

PK @ OWH
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Paul
    They look like you can go off road with them also.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    Paul
    They look like you can go off road with them also.
    Those things would work on a track i used to race at!!!!
    Give me my glue bottle!!!!!!!!!![B]

Paul, you have way too much time on your hands!

BTW: Meagan is having her party at the track on Sunday. I'll try to get some photos for you.
    Gary Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Just called Paul Pfeiffer to order some Cahoza carbon fibre rims. If these last a long time, the tolerance is down to .0027", so they are quite true. I ordered the .394" diameter and the .787" width. In the long run, I think these may be a good investment...they cost more, but more accurate. My experience with magnesium hubs lately has not been good. Only about half of what I get are reasonably true, and lately the set screw holes have been drilled too close to the edge of the hub so they strip out really easily. I'm hopeful these CZ hubs will work out better. I got em in 3/32" axle only. Unfortunately the 2mm hubs do not come in the .394" diameter, only in a larger .422" which I think is too big for cars running 44T 80 pitch spurs....I start at .650". Report to follow in a few weeks when I get my hands on these new rims.
    Very interested in your results with these. The great thing about carbon fiber is that it's ether true or broken, nothing in between. Why are they only .787" in width? Shouldn't they be .800"?

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper802 View Post
    Very interested in your results with these.
    Carbon Fiber Rim Straightening Tool:

But of course! a Carbon Fiber Wallet!

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper802 View Post
    Why are they only .787" in width? Shouldn't they be .800"?
    Perhaps the slightly narrower width is to allow you to insert a .013" Carbon Fiber Spacer on each side... I would guess...

You're right Gary... way too much time on my hands. I have no tools & no toys to build here!

Get that Carbon Fiber Body on Meagan's Carbon Fiber Womp for next week - I look forward to seeing pics of her racing party!

Hey Slotcar Racer - you've got some catching up to do! We've run away with your thread!
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 01-20-2011 at 05:27 PM.
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Just called Paul Pfeiffer to order some Cahoza carbon fibre rims. If these last a long time, the tolerance is down to .0027", so they are quite true. I ordered the .394" diameter and the .787" width. In the long run, I think these may be a good investment...they cost more, but more accurate. My experience with magnesium hubs lately has not been good.

The run-out on the carbon rims are better! The one draw back on the "carbon fibre rims" is that when the take an impact they tend to crack and break (usually the glue holds the broken piece until you go for the retread) Other than that they are great!

On a completely unrelated note: my carbon fibre wallet has lasted for the better part of 10yrs! (slightly frayed on the edges though- leather trim failure)
    Last edited by Berteinstein; 01-20-2011 at 07:00 PM.
    Asking all things relevant-

I ordered the .394" diameter and the .787" width.
    Any advantage to the narrower rim? I just assumed the narrower rim would be a disadvantage, but that's what I get when I think and not test. I believe the Speedshop rims are right around .810 wide so were are talking about a pretty big difference of .023.
    Farmingdale, NJ 07727
    732-938-5215

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Raceway View Post
    Hey George,
    I know your a busy guy, but I enjoy asking tech questions and getting input from as many builders as I can.
    I like building motors........
    Well, if i left something out, let me know if you dont mind.
    Thank you sir
    Respectfully,
    Dub
    Dustyn, let me send you a PM, you have a lot of q's here.

Slotcar Racer

Quote Originally Posted by KVAN View Post
    Jeff don't be so persuasive.

A 3rd Eye Fettroller in the hands of Slotcar Racer, the rest of us will be racing for second. We will have absolutely no chance of beating him. More importantly remember.............................3rd Eye service, 2nd to none! Only 6 day turn around to Howard and back!
    Yeah Kevin, Jeff was very persuasive. I need to give Howard a call and let him know I haven't eloped with his loaner controller. Actually, I think I will need to get back up to Frank's this Saturday and put in more time. I want to see if Howard can fill the "sensitivity gap" on my Speedshops too. I know he did a great job of working on a CZ controller, an older one, that Hermanator now loves. I saw the Hermanator last Sunday, we had some fun with F1s on the Testarossa. Anyway, if Howard can't figure out the Speedshop sensitivity gap, then next stop is Mazur.