Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

SR

First - let me say that I think your professional knowledge as an optition as it applies to both close-up work on slot cars, as well as for driving them, adds yet another area of expertise that has made your Slotcar Racer Tech Tip thread a valuable resourse to us fellow slotcar racers.

Second - Obviously Slapshot is a much more stylish dude then I am, but even his classy specs do not address the problem that Jasn brought up in his initial inquiry about the eyewear. I was somewhat pleased to learn that my somewhat out-of-fashion specs were at least smart for practical reasons, by offering wider peripheral vision (for those of us with "special needs"). Slapshot may look cooler when driving... but I'm thinkin' that Greg Gilbert may be doing something right by wearing the huge lenses, at least while racing. He's done pretty fair at racing, so he just might have something there.

Third - Monty, you would not believe how cheap most stuff is here. It's much more then just the exchange on the dollars to pesos... you get a lot more for your money. I think they cut out a lot of middle men, and there are also tons of knock-offs, bootlegs, and other questionable quality goods here. While I would hate to deprive SR of any potential customers, I sorta doubt that he is actually getting custom orders from slot car racers. If he is, then I'm sure the quality is worth the extra $. If, however, any of my friends would like me to explore saving a few bucks on possible lower quality exported items, I can certainly do some price comparing. You also must keep in mind the potential quality difference, as well as the cost of shipping, before you can realize the actual savings. That being said... the savings on my eyeglasses was significant, as well as for clothing.

Fourth - (and back to slot cars) - Mic, after seeing the pic of the Mack chassis SR posted, and then reading your post - I think you have unraveled that mystery! Now it makes sense to even me! (even without my oversized old fashioned spectacles on!)

Fifth - um... there is no fifth. That reminds me, I need to get another fifth of Tanduay. (also very cheap here!) I'm all out of Rum. But I really should "take the fifth" on that one.

Thanks again SR - I always look forward to reading your thread!
    (gee - do ya think it's time to break it off into your own sub-forum???)
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 07-07-2011 at 03:15 PM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I for one, would like to see it stay the way it is. It makes it very easy to read the updates as I just look at the recently changed topics and read those.

I was looking through my "old" stuff the other day and decided to tear apart a couple of my black Kelly can motors to put new magnets in. They all have SMQ's in them and will get either T5's or Pro-Slot Mega III's (I have 1 set of each). I haven't got enough large diameter arms for them so I'll put in a couple of the small diameter arms and test them out to see how they compare. I hope to get the magnets glued in tonight when I get home from work (yes I'm taking 5 minutes from work to post this).
    Gary Johnson

SR,

Your Mack 1/32 ES chassis is almost identical to the way I've modified my 2008 Horky. I took all of the rotational movement out in the front, and I've got the pans tied together, tho my pan connector is 1/2 way back. It runs real well, both at Mid-Am and at Lou's track Is your version chassis available to buy currently? Please let us all know how it runs at the Philly race.

Greg

Spec class winner not eye wear hater

FYI my frames were track tested by Herminator who had a near similar rectagular frame. I think my decision to use them was when he mentioned at one time something about easier on the side to side vision while still looking ahead. That and I can look down under the glasses to view things close up without having to slide them down my nose.
    Back to your regularly scheduled program....buildiing for the Flats
    Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by oldweirdherald View Post
    If you have a hankering for a sub-forum, go here:

http://www.submarinesailor.com/bbs2/...view.asp?fid=1
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Quote Originally Posted by Greg N View Post
    Please let us all know how it runs at the Philly race.

Greg
    Sounds like you made some very interesting mods to your 08 Horky Greg, any photos? Not sure I can tell you how the Mack runs, Richard is giving me a brain teaser by not providing instructions, so I am muddling my way through the build. Kind of fun actually. I got the guide tongue installed only to realize I had to pull it back off to get another part installed under it. So much fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Slapshot View Post
    FYI my frames were track tested by Herminator who had a near similar rectagular frame. I think my decision to use them was when he mentioned at one time something about easier on the side to side vision while still looking ahead. That and I can look down under the glasses to view things close up without having to slide them down my nose.
    Back to your regularly scheduled program....buildiing for the Flats
    Raymond
    Hope your prep for The Flats is going well, I would have loved to have returned for this year's race, too bad about the conflict with ISRA. Oh well, that stuff happens. By the way, is your M-207 color 440?
    Last edited by Slotcar Racer; 07-08-2011 at 09:24 AM. Reason: changed color code

OK, just one more.....here is Hermanator's frame:

http://www.kenmarkoptical.com/collec...&sort=newToOld

Some more interesting stuff on the sub-forum

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/187049.html

Is it time to leave for Philadelphia yet? Mom, are we there yet???

I have like 3 months work to get done in 6 days.

Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

Quote Originally Posted by mazur50 View Post

Im with you there. Flats is 7 days away and I dont have my Euro chassis Built and im still working on my GT12.
    "Dub" Wade
    Nampa, ID
    208-392-0639
    dustynwade@ymail.com
    Dub Motors, Dub Rides, Dub Winged bodies, PMP Chassis, Paint by Odie, Bone Bodies.
    Of course Balance by Beuf
    3rd Eye Controllers

Quote Originally Posted by mazur50 View Post
    Mike I'm with you on that but I've been working on my stuff for 2 weeks now still have 4 motors to do for other guys .But it will all work out in the end see you soon
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Raceway View Post
    Im with you there. Flats is 7 days away and I dont have my Euro chassis Built and im still working on my GT12.
    I'm in the same boat Dustyn. I have 4 flexi chassis to put lead wires on, and 9 bodies to paint/mount, and 4 motors to build. It is going to be a busy weekend this weekend!
    Gary Johnson

Ha I have zero everything is still in pieces from the Nats and like a dummy i took my controller apart.
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

The past few days have been unraveling the Mack ES32 puzzle...finally, all the clues fell into place

DSCN4244

This is the same chassis James Cleave used to win the British 1/32 Nationals recently. Like James, I plan to add a little reinforcement to the top of the bite bar.

DSCN4245

Building one of these things is useful not only to exercise one's brain, but you also gain an appreciation for the design features, and to gain an understanding of exactly how a chassis works. It was a good learning process. This morning I'll mount an R10. That's my Camen Small Block that won the 2010 ES32 and ES24 Nats.