Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

So far about three hours of practice under my belt. Hermanator and I have just finished our chicken Caesar salads at the lounge in the hotel. The Super 8 is pretty darned tough for me the first time on it. Looks like the outside lanes are fast and relatively "user friendly" whereas the inside lanes, black in particular, are quite technically challenging. Well, time to get back to the track and try to get in 1,000 laps or so!!
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

It's 12:15 in Philadelphia and we are practicing Group 10. Lots of racers here now..two dozen entries so far, more stragglers expected in the next 45 minutes. I'm really happy with my car powered by a Fred Hood "Norcal" proven power pack...in a JK X25 chassis and new Red Fox Starfighter body. Lots of great talent here in this room, it's fantastic being here.

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    It's 12:15 in Philadelphia and we are practicing Group 10. Lots of racers here now..two dozen entries so far, more stragglers expected in the next 45 minutes. I'm really happy with my car powered by a Fred Hood "Norcal" proven power pack...in a JK X25 chassis and new Red Fox Starfighter body. Lots of great talent here in this room, it's fantastic being here.
    What pan combination are you using?

Ed I'm using just a plain JK X25 and somehow got it real smooth. In quallie just finished I made middle Runner of the B Main which I suppose means half the field out ran me, and I did better than the other half. I am such a fish out of water on this track, we qualified on orange and unfortunately I practiced mostly on red and black. Actually, it makes no sense to spend time on red, it seems to be the most user friendly lane...note to self: practice more in the middle lanes!!! Hermanator, Roy Hood and Ricky Distefano and I are racing together, very cool we are used to eachother. Casey Scott was TQ by an inch over Steve Whitt.

Let's see if anyone can spot Slotcar Racer on the live webcast: (online now)

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/north-...-championships

or

http://theisrausa.com/webcam.htm

Hey! Just as I typed this - he steps right in front of the webcam! Say "Cheese Steak"

Hi Slot car Racer! Have a great race!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

I'm the one wearing the 2010 Flat Track Worlds tee shirt. How many times do we say "that was a learning experience" ? Guess that sums up race #1, Group 10. As is often the case, I fell all over myself in the first heat and came out looking like one of the Three Stooges. However, as is often the case, I took off and finally ended 3rd in the B Main, 10th overall. Steve Whitt drove a brlliant race to win overall, almost as if he's run this track before...
    Hermanator came in 9th and Cousin Roy (Hood) 11th. Hmm, maybe WE were the stooges...

Those who saw the new Mack Bulldog 3 at the ISRA Nats today, Richard said they should be out in a month. The chassis is currently under consideration by the USRA tech director and if approved would be legal in 2012. But of course it is perfectly legal by most racing organizations that run Open G12.

Just a real fast reminder here, if you've pretty much bagged 2nd place in the eurosport race going into the last heat, be sure to review your controller hook up. When hooked up backwards it generally assures you a 3rd place (or worse) completion of the race. Let's review: three wires (please pay close attention, I know it is getting complicated real fast now) a red, a black and a white. Please also note three terminals on driver's panel...same three colors. You can only clip one at a time to a track terminal so you know it is now almost requiring a wiring diagram and hiring an electrician to help out with the task. Here's a way to make it fun, make up a little song you can hum while matching the colors, but don't get all giddy with ideas like this, it's only meant to be a learning tool. Basically when all is said and done you will end up with the controller wires on the correctly matching terminals. Please PM me with any other suggestions or feel free to post your comment(s) here...

SR it was great to meet you and even better to meet GR . Hope you had a great time racing with us .Your prep work is second to none and your results showed to bad about the euro race you ran a great race. I would like to thank your buddy Herman James for running a motor I built for him and his great tires 2 races same motor and 2 good results thanks Herman nice to see you again. Will be trying to race with you guys sometime in the future.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

...I have become so obsessed with hooking my controller up properly that I even look down at the wires as the power comes on after a track call... I am not sure what my theory is on this approach, but I have managed to not hook up my wires backward during a track call thus far... Bad luck GR. Bulldog 3 looked to be running well- Can't wait to try one!
    Asking all things relevant-

I suppose I could make some sort of wise-crack about getting new glasses... but I think you probably have that covered.

I try to make a habit of double checking the controller at the 20 second beep, but even then still manage I hook mine up wrong about once per race weekend these days... it sucks getting old!

A year or two ago, I sketched up an idea for a simple gadget for preventing getting my wires crossed, then I never got around to getting it made.

Now Swiss has made an even cooler one that also has a few more features, including controller holder & red & green color code so you don't get it upside down:

Controller Buddy-virtually impossible to hook your controller up wrong again

Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Wow guys, all really great ideas on the hook up. My mistake may have been due to being last heat of last race on a new track that I bad to race every lap as if I was just learning...it was mentally exhausting and apparently my brain gave out at the end!!! By the way, a giant salute to Mr. Horky for building a chassis that survived getting walled twice in this race...one was a rider when I was on blue and switched to Casey's lane for a second after the second kink (many of you know I gave those two links very endearing names) and of course it was walled into the lead-on with the bad hook up.

Mic, Jeff, Matt, Robert, Jerry Jr and all the rest of you, for me the real purpose of this trip was to meet you folks and now I want to come back some time soon. Lou, Marybeth, Jerry Sr, I want you to know that you guys ran the best show I've been in. You do a very straightforward job, no tricky trix in anything, it was all fair right down to the way we resolved the buss bar not connecting the battery to the track. You get a giant attaboy/attagirl. Mary Beth is a fantastic race director and tireless!
    I'm waiting for my flight to Chicago, then carry on to Oakland getting in around 6:00. Back to "work" tomorrow : (
    Last edited by Slotcar Racer; 07-18-2011 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Using the stupid iPhone keyboard

Is somebody having a senior moment?
    Russ Toy
    I am team burrito and I approve this message.

SR, I for one was very impressed with both your preparation and your practice route. The 2 kinks in the Super 8 are just evil... I thought the names you came up with were just about perfect! The long days and the track took it's toll on many of us that were not familiar with the dreaded kinks. At one point I considered trying to cut them out with my Dremel...

I enjoyed meeting you and Herman very much and hope to get to see you both again soon.
    The Race Place raceplaceinfo.com
    Bowskateer founding member #3
    Get a 3rd EYE Fetroller 2.1
    Balanced by Bill

Quote Originally Posted by team burrito View Post
    Is somebody having a senior moment?
    You can bet your Ti22 on that one Cupcake...