Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff714 View Post
    SR, I for one was very impressed with both your preparation and your practice route. The 2 kinks in the Super 8 are just evil... I thought the names you came up with were just about perfect! The long days and the track took it's toll on many of us that were not familiar with the dreaded kinks. At one point I considered trying to cut them out with my Dremel....
    haaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaa, that's the best one I've heard Jeff! Man, you don't know what a good thing it is you did not give me that idea, there's no telling how I might get fuzzy on the line between fantasy and reality on that one...scares me just thinking about it. I think Hermanator still has a certain brass chassis that saw the wrong side of my Dremel. Jeff, it was great meeting you too, take care and keep up your enthusiasm about slotcar racing, you clearly enjoy it.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

The Super 8 has my respect, those inside kinks are going to give me nightmares for weeks. That made Jerry's performance even more impressive, he was absolutely unconscious while driving it. The Super 8 is indeed Jerry's bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper802 View Post
    The Super 8 has my respect, those inside kinks are going to give me nightmares for weeks. That made Jerry's performance even more impressive, he was absolutely unconscious while driving it. The Super 8 is indeed Jerry's bitch.
    I couldn't have said it better Rocky! Jerry's performance over the weekend was fantastic, he's a great kid and incredible slotcar racer. The track is amazing, I got to like it by Sunday evening because I realized I was finished with it for a while....but I think I am going to have to make a return visit to it. I'm usually up to speed the second time around.

The flights home yesterday were almost painless, not bad at all. Picked up a great salad at Midway airport near gate B12, got the "Pan Asian" with salmon, the sesame dressing was killer. On the plane everyone was munching on their peanuts and Oreos while I was feasting on this salad....I didn't realize it could have resulted in mob violence.

Good news on the NORCAL Series front, apparently a number of us who have been banned from a certain N. California raceway (me for 12 years, Herman for 9 years) will be able to throw out both races from that same raceway in the 2011-2012 season. I think that seals the deal for me to run the flat track races next year, eight each of LMP (much like B Production) and GT12. Four flat tracks in this series, Rohnert Park (site of the 2006, 2008 and 2012 USRA Scale Nats), Rocklin (small mirror image of Buena Park's "MTT"), The Corkscrew (Modesto) and the new flat track being built right now at Hobbytown in Fresno. Should be a good season, first one I plan to attend for eight races for points.

Tonight I need to unpack and pulled the motors out of all the lumps and clean up stuff. Next eurosport race is Uncle Frank's next month.

That's good news about seeing you in the NorCal series SR. Does that mean that Herman and Paul might also ? I'm excited about the series this year. It should be a great lead up to the Nats at Franks.

BTW, you missed a great race at The Flats. The Speedshop cars were fast and hooked up taking 1st and 2nd in Eurosport. That Lee sure does know a thing or 2 about slot cars !

SCR how did the front end modifications work to the 1/32 chassis?
    Why do I do this to myself?

Do any of you know if the .25 cheetah 11 pans will work on a c-21 center? Thanks in advance, Dennis

Don't know about the 025's, but I have tested the 1 piece aluminum, and the 2 piece 030's. The 030's worked very well on the Twister at the Flats this weekend. This was my first race on that track and with a dead motor I was still able to pull out a decent lap total. The car was every bit as fast in the "keyhole" as the C11's. You will need to do all the usual tuning to get it to handle it's best.

SCR glad you had a memorable plesent and eventful race at the Phili race. You found out the lesson I meant (in page 46 of this thread) about the slight difficulties on Black lane tight corner in the esses-onut.

You also missed a Darn Doozy Doorbuster of a race at the Flats. Great turnout of Euros, its too bad a that a few had the wives accidently arrange vacation events the same weekend as there would have been 20-22 entries instead of 18.

While I didn't get in the top 8 I had a good clean race. No breaks, boils or magnet hazards. Misjudged and should have started race on 670+ dia instead of 665 tires (tyres). Just plain ran out rubber the last 40-60 seconds of last heat and cost me 15-20 valuble laps. The Piero chassis worked awsome! Fast in corners and esses and very predictable punching hard out of corners, no kick out. Next time I am putting a bit more horsepower in it. Also used the FETroller this race. Great controller. I do have to round out the trigger edge though from the squarer edges of the RF trigger. Got a finger blister second to last heat as compared to my customized rounded Parma triggers on the other controllers. Easy fix for sensative skin finger being rubbed the wrong way.....

I got many good comments for not breaking a motor magnet this race.......

Raymond

Oh yeah the Phil Grand Champion moment...click image to view video....

Last edited by Slapshot; 07-20-2011 at 06:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingram View Post
    That's good news about seeing you in the NorCal series SR. Does that mean that Herman and Paul might also ? I'm excited about the series this year. It should be a great lead up to the Nats at Franks.

BTW, you missed a great race at The Flats. The Speedshop cars were fast and hooked up taking 1st and 2nd in Eurosport. That Lee sure does know a thing or 2 about slot cars !
    I am pretty excited to be able to run for points in NORCAL for the first time. Some of us who are not welcome at a certain raceway will receive special dispensation to throw out both those races....but this special dispensation is only for racers who qualify as "banned from said raceway"...you all know who you are, Hermanator, Gus, etc.

As for The Flats, looks like a great race, I love that video of Phil with the pie in the face. How come I didn't get the pie in the face at the 2009 Flats when I was Grand Champion?...that looks like fun. Lap total for eurosport was a bit lower than Slugfest I see (612 Flats versus 616 Slug) and I wonder if the A Main had a lot of wrecks or what. But, it looks like a good race and the winner demolished the competition. I have to point out that Gary did 618 last year, he was literally riding a Magic Carpet in that race.

Quote Originally Posted by Slapshot View Post
    SCR glad you had a memorable plesent and eventful race at the Phili race. You found out the lesson I meant (in page 46 of this thread) about the slight difficulties on Black lane tight corner in the esses-onut.

You also missed a Darn Doozy Doorbuster of a race at the Flats. Great turnout of Euros, its too bad a that a few had the wives accidently arrange vacation events the same weekend as there would have been 20-22 entries instead of 18.

While I didn't get in the top 8 I had a good clean race. No breaks, boils or magnet hazards. Misjudged and should have started race on 670+ dia instead of 665 tires (tyres). Just plain ran out rubber the last 40-60 seconds of last heat and cost me 15-20 valuble laps. The Piero chassis worked awsome! Fast in corners and esses and very predictable punching hard out of corners, no kick out. Next time I am putting a bit more horsepower in it. Also used the FETroller this race. Great controller. I do have to round out the trigger edge though from the squarer edges of the RF trigger. Got a finger blister second to last heat as compared to my customized rounded Parma triggers on the other controllers. Easy fix for sensative skin finger being rubbed the wrong way.....

I got many good comments for not breaking a motor magnet this race.......

Raymond
    Raymond, you get a big Attaboy for keeping all your magnets intact. Doesn't that mess up your mind when you start too low on tires??? At the ISRA Nats Euro race I must have been lagging because I started at .040" and ended with .025" clearance....no Attaboy for that. And yes, great Euro turnout, looks like the race was a great success, congratulations to Jim Radford for hosting another terrific event. I'll be up for the October 9th race, looking forward to it. As for the Piero chassis, I have already told Piero this, but it was a gut wrenching choice between his chassis and my Slugfest Horky. But, because the track was still brand new to me even after six races on it, I went for the Horky just for some familiarity.

Last night got stuff unpacked, the shop is set up again, and I had a little time to start unbolting motors from chassis. I'll continue with that tonight.

Hey SCR! I'm looking forward to next season and seeing you out there. I guess it does pay to moan and groan loud enough, it only made sense anyway. I'd still like to see one of those races at raceway "X" taken away and sent to Carson City. My critsism of raceway X brought ire from a "Kiwi" who posts on this blog and brought several private messages from Mike Swiss concerning my posts on the other blog. He states he doesn't like critcism of raceways and their owners. This brought me a negative status on the other blog. I have things to say about "Mike" but won't air them here. It is as they say "If the shoe fits you wear it". I now won't do any mail order with that character. I'll continue to support my local tracks ,as should be. Gus in Sacto

Quote Originally Posted by caprikinggus View Post
    Hey SCR! I'm looking forward to next season and seeing you out there. I guess it does pay to moan and groan loud enough, it only made sense anyway. I'd still like to see one of those races at raceway "X" taken away and sent to Carson City. My critsism of raceway X brought ire from a "Kiwi" who posts on this blog and brought several private messages from Mike Swiss concerning my posts on the other blog. He states he doesn't like critcism of raceways and their owners. This brought me a negative status on the other blog. I have things to say about "Mike" but won't air them here. It is as they say "If the shoe fits you wear it". I now won't do any mail order with that character. I'll continue to support my local tracks ,as should be. Gus in Sacto
    John is great shop owner! I bet he would be thrilled to host some of your series races! Carson City is a great Idea!
    "Dub" Wade
    Nampa, ID
    208-392-0639
    dustynwade@ymail.com
    Dub Motors, Dub Rides, Dub Winged bodies, PMP Chassis, Paint by Odie, Bone Bodies.
    Of course Balance by Beuf
    3rd Eye Controllers

Quote Originally Posted by phatbstd View Post
    Do any of you know if the .25 cheetah 11 pans will work on a c-21 center? Thanks in advance, Dennis
    Yes they will work (and quite well) if you pinch down the tabs so that you limit the up/down movement. If you don't do this the pans will flop down and drag on the track. I ran the X25 with the .025" pans for several races, the first being the 2011 Nats in Chicago. The car works awesome that way. I replaced the chassis for the Flats only due to the center section getting trashed in the Nats race. Note to self, punching the finger on a Gerding King will destroy a chassis if it doesn't work!
    Gary Johnson

What did they ban you & Herman for?

Yes George the Euro A heat was a mess. With 18 entries the racers voted for 3 heats of 6 to keep the car damage down. That work well with the C heat and even better in the B heat with L. Strand winning without a dent in has .005 body. But that all ended in the A heat. I guess some racers were trying too hard and there were cars flying full speed into the wall and many crashes. Brad Hoyt started out leading in the first heat but by the third heat Alicia was cursing with a 9 lap lead after Brad had a problem. In heat 4 there was a major crash in the lead on and Alicia got the worst with a fully sucked body. After repairs she was 15 laps down racing a hurt car. Brad played it smart cursing home for the win and his name on the Big Trophy. There is always next year!