Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Quote Originally Posted by jenson46 View Post
    What did they ban you & Herman for?
    You know something, I believe the story should remain as I told it...the general idea being that we are very happy to now be able to join NORCAL in points...I know people would be curious about that, but I think it is best to leave that negative part out, it doesn't do anybody any good to look at that. Let's just focus on the good part which is the government of the Republic of NORCAL came up with a great solution to a long term problem.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Quote Originally Posted by Speedshop View Post
    Yes George the Euro A heat was a mess. With 18 entries the racers voted for 3 heats of 6 to keep the car damage down. That work well with the C heat and even better in the B heat with L. Strand winning without a dent in has .005 body. But that all ended in the A heat. I guess some racers were trying too hard and there were cars flying full speed into the wall and many crashes. Brad Hoyt started out leading in the first heat but by the third heat Alicia was cursing with a 9 lap lead after Brad had a problem. In heat 4 there was a major crash in the lead on and Alicia got the worst with a fully sucked body. After repairs she was 15 laps down racing a hurt car. Brad played it smart cursing home for the win and his name on the Big Trophy. There is always next year!
    Hi Lee, I read some posts about it today and the part where Alicia's body was damaged very badly, sorry to hear about that Alicia. It was awful when the axle broke in lap 9 of the Slug race. Lee, you and I can both remember there was a time when I went through a period of being snakebit every race I went to, but we all emerge from those slumps. Sometimes luck just isn't on our side, and there is a whole lot of luck in slotcar racing as you well know. By the way, it took me a few times reading your post where you said "Alicia was cursing with a 9 lap lead". I couldn't imagine Alicia cursing during a race, but then realized you had just misspelled "cruising" with a 9 lap lead. Thought I should point that out in case anyone reading this thread is wondering what was meant. The scenario when C and B mains are clean and the A main becomes a desperate sprint happens once in a while, but not usually. All things considered, Brad's lap total was very good. I don't think I have met Brad yet. I'll give you a call this week soon Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by GearBear View Post
    Yes they will work (and quite well) if you pinch down the tabs so that you limit the up/down movement. If you don't do this the pans will flop down and drag on the track. I ran the X25 with the .025" pans for several races, the first being the 2011 Nats in Chicago. The car works awesome that way. I replaced the chassis for the Flats only due to the center section getting trashed in the Nats race. Note to self, punching the finger on a Gerding King will destroy a chassis if it doesn't work!
    Hey Gary,
    I think he was asking about the C-21 which has the Falcon / Hawk motor bracket and the motor sits on top. I used this center section with 030 pans at The Flats and yes I had to keep the pans from drooping. After tweaking twisting and shimming, the pans were perfect and the car handled very well. Unfortunately this was my first experience with the Hawk motors and did not know how to get the most out of it before it gave way. I think the C21 is a viable option for weekly or restricted programs. Times were easily 3 to 4 tenths faster on the Twister as compared to a well set up Turbo Flex. I believe it is about 8 grams heavier than an all 030 C11, but it will withstand a lot more abuse. I have limited flat rack experience and LMP was my first race on the Twister so my car was in several self inflicted accidents. After the race it was in very good shape, nothing a few minutes on the block wont fix.

Alan

Unfortunately for me AND Alicia, it was my car that caused her initial distress in the 2nd heat. I think I came off 6 or 7 times on White on the Lead-on. Alicia was on Red and nailed my car on the Straight more than once. Then later she picked up a heavy handed turn marshal sucking up the body. I'm pretty certain that I broke a magnet on the first motor from Alicia hitting my car. I haven't pulled the motor apart yet, but it was definitely hurt.

My Euro race this year went about like all my races on Saturday did last year! Oh well, can't win them all! Actually, I have had terrible luck in all my Euro races SINCE last years Flats. I guess I used up all my good race luck in that one race!

George, Brad was there last year...

Alan,

I didn't catch that. But I stand by my statement. The 3 piece pans seem to fit all the iterations of the C11 chassis. The 2 piece pans are a different story due to the part going across the chassis holding the two pans together. In all cases, I use a small hammer to adjust the tabs holding the pans in place to get the movement I want.

One of the things I like about the X25 is the thicker metal it is made out of. The .035" center section is MUCH better than the .030 and 025 centers for withstanding abuse. Also, when you take them out of the package they are FLAT.

My LMP was a full X25 and my Group 10 was an X25 center with C11 .030" pans. Both cars had floating front and rear pin tubes.
    Gary Johnson

Alicia would have beaten Brad if she didn't breakdown. She is a very skilled driver.

Allrighty then, here we are on Thursday morning, quite a few hours to clear out the ideas on racing this last weekend. Truth be told, I have already forgotten about last weekend and starting to work on the next race. I've never found it makes me feel any better to dwell on the past, and I have always found that I feel a lot better when I bury it and move on to the next race. The next one is August 20th, Unca Frank's Birthday Bash at SCR.

So, last night I disassembled the two Horky eurosports....each one only takes about five minutes to take apart....pull the rear end out, unbolt the motor and yank it, unscrew the guide and there you have it...bare chassis.

In the eurosport race on Sunday, my Horky hit the wall full punch twice and kept going strong. But, when I put it on the allie block last night, not all was well in the State of Denmark. It is very tweaked, therefore.....

DSCN4247

So, tonight it's time to very carefully and slowly flatten all those pieces. That's the older chassis I purchased from Regor at The Worlds last October, it's been a very good item. The newer one (did not race in Phillie) probably needs disassembly too, but I want to finish the old chassis first, then make an assessment of new one. By the way, this is the first time I have removed the pieces for the spine which allowed me to completely remove the bite bar. Better get to "work" here...

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    So, last night I disassembled the two Horky eurosports....each one only takes about five minutes to take apart....pull the rear end out, unbolt the motor and yank it, ...

So....can you tell me what size and brand of bolts you're using to hold those euro motors in the chassis???!!!

Mike,

I would guess the 95% tin and 5% antimony ones that do better melted, likely by Slick 7.

SR, good choice of benchtop power tool. What do you NOT share with Hermanator?
    A clean slotcar is a happy slotcar!!

SR, let me know how that works when you are done, I always end up with a couple extra pieces!

State of Denmark? That's interesting, I always thought the Horky chassis came from the Czech Republic.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty@B.O.W. View Post
    Mike,

I would guess the 95% tin and 5% antimony ones that do better melted, likely by Slick 7.

SR, good choice of benchtop power tool. What do you NOT share with Hermanator?
    I put that piece of equipment in there on purpose to see if Big O was paying attention, and sure enough, less than 12 hours later he noticed! Yes, I use the 95% tin stuff, but got a half pound roll of it on Amazon for about $25....I wouldn't use anything other than "silver solder" for structural work. Hermanator and I shared the same room in Philadelphia too...come to think of it, he kept borrowing my tools, but SR shares well with the other kids.

Quote Originally Posted by KVAN View Post
    SR, let me know how that works when you are done, I always end up with a couple extra pieces!

State of Denmark? That's interesting, I always thought the Horky chassis came from the Czech Republic.
    I've done this before KVAN, it is a lot easier than it looks, really not that many pieces. Hardest part is cleaning up the little pieces so they fit easily back in their spaces. Richard Mack recently taught us to acid flux the pieces, very little flux, put the piece in and then hit it with a small dab of solder UNDER the chassis....small amount gets sucked up and it looks real purdy, almost as good as The Puzzle Master Mack does it. As for the State of Denmark I guess my geography got kind of goofed up. I always thought the Czech Republic was a city inside Denmark. Man, and my daughter was a geography major too.

SR
    My stuff hasn't been touched since I got home Sunday night But must get started on some motor builds Also have chassis repair and an HNR Jrl to build for the bash at the beach at the end of august.
    My old HNR was on borrowed time and it ran out in Philli .All us midpack racers should learn a thing or to from your dedication to your race program. Thanks for sharing
    Mic B
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    SR
    My stuff hasn't been touched since I got home Sunday night But must get started on some motor builds Also have chassis repair and an HNR Jrl to build for the bash at the beach at the end of august.
    My old HNR was on borrowed time and it ran out in Philli .All us midpack racers should learn a thing or to from your dedication to your race program. Thanks for sharing
    Mic B
    Boy Oh Boy Mic, my eurosport sure was tweaked after that race!!!

DSCN4256

I even had to release the side rails by removing their stops so I could flatten them. Both rails were bowed up quite a bit. I spent careful time flattening this center section, then checked to see if rear axle was perpendicular to the centerline of chassis....no, not really! Had to correct that too and now I'm satisfied the whole center section is ready to go. Next I need to check the pans see how they are. This car was walled twice at full punch, once when I ridered on Casey's lane (yellow) and practically neutered Matt Bruce, and of course the second time was the backwards hook up.

All during this flattening process, the big beagle was waiting by the kitchen door hoping for a handout

IMG_0079

SR
    Have to do same thing to my Saunders gt-12 car I broke it in practice with a wall shot then got rydered into wall during race so I'm sure its in the same shape your euro was in
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

SR,
    Do you happen to know where the schedule and rule changes are for NorCal 2011-2012 season.
    Talked to Crash a couple of weeks ago but can't seem to find anything in print. Really looking forward to this season !