Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Quote Originally Posted by Ingram View Post
    SR,
    Do you happen to know where the schedule and rule changes are for NorCal 2011-2012 season.
    Talked to Crash a couple of weeks ago but can't seem to find anything in print. Really looking forward to this season !
    Hi Alan, I've been trying to go to the NORCAL website all day, but it looks like probably Bluey is working on it right now. I think the schedule and new rules may be available quite soon judging from how long the website has been unavailable.

I did go to SCR yesterday and tested the Piero ES24 chassis with two different body mounts....one is my usual, as far back as possible and the other is how Piero and CRASH CODGER like to run, as far forward as possible. The two bodies felt and looked very different when driving them, however they yielded same lap times....high 3.4 on green. I only got 15 minutes, so really not much of a test. The chassis is wonderful but the arm in the motor needs to be sent out for balancing. Getting ready for Frank's Birthday Bash in a few weeks.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

SCR-2
    I ran my older Piero at the Flats (as well as the Nats). For the Flats I had two set ups on the body one slamed back over the tip of the guide Speedshop style and one near 1/8 inch forward of the guide. I ended up running the forward version. That was the first thing Lee noticed when I handed the car to him for a motor refresh (other than there was no damge to body). I mentioned my reason. The chassis can obviouly can take more horsepower than I had as was a bit stuck during the race. Valico 22/24.5 Speedshop/Camen small block.

When you get a chance measure the thickness of the steel (mm) and also mention if it is Plated steel or Unplated. The newest version is different steel and yours may be an eairlier prototype. SCR (original sttyle) may have the prototype or newest version soon.

Raymond
    Last edited by Slapshot; 07-24-2011 at 07:19 PM. Reason: mm vs in conversion

Quote Originally Posted by Slapshot View Post
    SCR-2
    I ran my older Piero at the Flats (as well as the Nats).

Is that like the one slotcar1991 posted recently? Has more center rails.

For the Flats I had two set ups on the body one slammed back over the tip of the guide Speedshop style and one near 1/8 inch forward of the guide. I ended up running the forward version. That was the first thing Lee noticed when I handed the car to him for a motor refresh (other than there was no damge to body).

I'm sure Lee did not "approve" of that body mount!

I mentioned my reason.

Raymond, let's be honest, you were just outright defending yourself against Lee's disapproval!!! I know how it feels....You were trying something different for a change, something that might actually work for YOU!

The chassis can obviouly can take more horsepower than I had as was a bit stuck during the race. Valico 22/24.5 Speedshop/Camen small block.

So, that means you were underpowered? That motor combo should be pretty stout....maybe your body was mounted all wrong!!!!

When you get a chance measure the thickness of the steel (mm) and also mention if it is Plated steel or Unplated. The newest version is different steel and yours may be an eairlier prototype. SCR (original sttyle) may have the prototype or newest version soon.

Raymond, mine is the newest version of his current production run. Piero says he is building like crazy right now, he has a lot of orders to fill. He wanted to get mine over to me first for the race in Phillie.

Raymond
    Raymond, you realize I am pulling your leg about the body mount, right? All in fun. But, it's funny you mention this because I was discussing the same issue with Piero.

hi george,

yes i always mount bodies the more forward i can accordingly to the rules. rules say that the car has to be fully covered by the body in at least on position (because of the pans movement).
    in a view from the top my rear wing edge is in line with the tires just enough to cover everything.
    i don't know which is the distance from the front of the guide to the front of the body and i'm not able to check in the next few days, but if you use rear wing to mount the body is good as well of course.
    i prefer to use that way because the car "looks" shorter and it seems to slide less. moreover there's more space for lead wire and less problems (but this is a minor issue)
    i put the body far forward also in F1. consider that the rear part of the pans is uncovered by the body in the way i use it, and i have always to paint black the visible part of the pans.

hope this helps
    piero

So, on Sunday I mounted a brand new body according to Piero's instructions and even checked that it was perfectly even with rear wheels when viewing from directly above...

DSCN4260

I tried it for only 15 minutes at Frank's and my lap times were identical to the far back mount, but the two bodies looked and felt much different. I am going to give it more testing before I make up my mind one way or the other. Comes down to personal preference.

When you leave all that lexan on the back of the body does it really make it more aero or is there another reason?
    Is that just a flat track thing or does it work on a King too?
    Thanks.

SCR quote-a-thon

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Raymond, you realize I am pulling your leg about the body mount, right? All in fun. But, it's funny you mention this because I was discussing the same issue with Piero
    Huh! I need my Peets aka now owned by Starbucks....(see coffee)...

Quote Originally Posted by Slapshot
    SCR-2
    I ran my older Piero at the Flats (as well as the Nats).

Is that like the one slotcar1991 posted recently? Has more center rails.

Yes the same...but new one soon.

For the Flats I had two set ups on the body one slammed back over the tip of the guide Speedshop style and one near 1/8 inch forward of the guide. I ended up running the forward version. That was the first thing Lee noticed when I handed the car to him for a motor refresh (other than there was no damge to body).

I'm sure Lee did not "approve" of that body mount!

Unfortunately I painted and mounted it so approval wasn't pre-needed. Actually humourous afterthought I recalled an old artical as I was pinning the body that Lee did decades ago (some may recall which one) simply put mentioning body position forward nose downforce, rearward bite. So in a way it came out of Lee's verbage once upon a time. Verdo/Stahl and I had a discussion about body position & theory on the drive home from the last SCR nats about this very thing, so see Verdo about my theory's.

I mentioned my reason.

Raymond, let's be honest, you were just outright defending yourself against Lee's disapproval!!! I know how it feels....You were trying something different for a change, something that might actually work for YOU!

Lee knows me enough that I have my reasons for doing things and does respect that but being himself will always reminds us of the Euroisim...way it is...which I have the same respect.

The chassis can obviouly can take more horsepower than I had as was a bit stuck during the race. Valico 22/24.5 Speedshop/Camen small block.

So, that means you were underpowered? That motor combo should be pretty stout....maybe your body was mounted all wrong!!!!

Perhaps so, I crave more horse power, less (no) choke and meaning of Spam and Purple Eggs instead of Ham and eggs....see begining of time IE: wing racer....

Raymond, mine is the newest version of his current production run. Piero says he is building like crazy right now, he has a lot of orders to fill. He wanted to get mine over to me first for the race in Phillie.

Excellent: Then now I can mention the next version for now is unplated and uses 1mm steel as opposed to former version that has .090.

Quote Originally Posted by Piero
    this new steel is different from last year, it's also thicker (1mm but you already knew) and it's not nickel plated.....so i suggest to wash the chassis after soldering the motor to avoid easy rust!
    i'm thinking about plating also my new chassis...i'll figure it out
    (semi-earlier date)
    ps : newer chassis are made with 1mm steel, different from last year 0,9 steel.
    Raymond
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffy Duck
    Wooo-Hooo
    Quote Originally Posted by Porky Pig
    Bduh Bduh Bduh Thats- All Folks!
    Last edited by Slapshot; 07-25-2011 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Spelled woohoooo wrong reminder use more than two O's on second part

Quote Originally Posted by La Cucaracha View Post
    When you leave all that lexan on the back of the body does it really make it more aero or is there another reason?
    Thanks.
    Mike, the "winglets" are important, they affect the handling. I tried somebody's car about a year ago and they did not have the winglets, it could barely get around the track. Put one of my bodies on (same chassis) and the car started to work. I'll admit, a lot of this has to do with what I am used to.

Raymond, I have always preferred "wooooo-hoo" over "wooo-hooooo", but I think that is a California accent.

DSCN4261

Thanks.
    Mike,

Just like with Wing cars, the body extensions help to stabilize the car and makes them handle much better. Especially when you stiffen them up with bulletproofing. Notice how George has bullet proofing all the way to the tips in the last photo? These are actually often elled to the upper wing and make a big difference in the handling.
    Gary Johnson

Hey Gary,

Speaking about body armor, are you any closer to marketing those pre-cut sets of armor you sampled me at the Nats? I think they were pretty good, I still have the body I used them on for GT12. I"ve been using it in a falcon based class we have been running on tuesday's at MA.

Thanks guys.
    This is the best thread in Slot Car Racing.
    I will post on it when I get some flat track racing under my belt.

Quote Originally Posted by KVAN View Post
    Hey Gary,

Speaking about body armor, are you any closer to marketing those pre-cut sets of armor you sampled me at the Nats? I think they were pretty good, I still have the body I used them on for GT12. I"ve been using it in a falcon based class we have been running on tuesday's at MA.
    Kevin, Jim at Pacific Slot Car Raceway stocks them> I am sure he would be happy to ship some out to you.
    Alan
    Alan Ingram

Quote Originally Posted by KVAN View Post
    Hey Gary,

Kevin,

Give Jim a call at PSCR. He has them in stock.
    Gary Johnson

Thanks for the input guys, I'll give Jim a call. Or then again, who knows, maybe I'll be up that way to race and can pick them up in person.

Thanks guys.
    This is the best thread in Slot Car Racing.
    I will post on it when I get some flat track racing under my belt.
    Mike, congratulations on post #1000, a milestone of sorts! Glad you are reading the thread and getting something from it.

Slotcar Racer

Quote Originally Posted by GearBear View Post
    Mike,

Just like with Wing cars, the body extensions help to stabilize the car and makes them handle much better. Especially when you stiffen them up with bulletproofing. Notice how George has bullet proofing all the way to the tips in the last photo? These are actually often elled to the upper wing and make a big difference in the handling.
    Yes, I will try to remember to post a photo of the "L" brace for the rear winglets.