Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Quote Originally Posted by KVAN View Post
    Hey Gary,

Speaking about body armor, are you any closer to marketing those pre-cut sets of armor you sampled me at the Nats? I think they were pretty good, I still have the body I used them on for GT12. I"ve been using it in a falcon based class we have been running on tuesday's at MA.
    More info please! Photos? What would a pre-cut armor set be KVAN? I usually use one strip of .010" bullet proofing per body. More photos to follow. In a recent conversation with Lee, he dislikes the European "2 body rule" saying that they need to learn how to properly bullet proof a body so a single body makes it through a race. I did notice at The Worlds they are very light on bullet proofing thinking that the body will be more flexible and faster. I have seen bodies with lots of bullet proofing still get destroyed in a race, especially the rear of the body getting sucked into the gears. Not much you can do once that happens other than repair it to the best of your ability.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

George,

Bill Clemans cuts body armor to specific shapes for each location. This makes armoring a body quick and easy. I showed Kevin some when I was in Chicago. I've been using them for several years, and now Bill is selling them through the track. The pieces are basically a modification to what Lee does, but in a repeatable fashion. He uses the same VHB tape that Lee does on his body armor and .010" thick lexan.

http://www.shoppscr.com/slot-fox-die...d=body%20armor

One note: I would NOT reuse these like stated in the description!
    Gary Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by GearBear View Post
    George,

Bill Clemans cuts body armor to specific shapes for each location. This makes armoring a body quick and easy. I showed Kevin some when I was in Chicago. I've been using them for several years, and now Bill is selling them through the track. The pieces are basically a modification to what Lee does, but in a repeatable fashion. He uses the same VHB tape that Lee does on his body armor and .010" thick lexan.

http://www.shoppscr.com/slot-fox-die...d=body%20armor

One note: I would NOT reuse these like stated in the description!
    Gary, you've got to be kidding!!! To me there is nothing more satisfying than cutting my own Speedshop bullet proofing to the shape I want, then leaving the scraps all over the floor. That is an important element of building. Then at the end of the week, you clean up all the weird little shapes. I'll pass on that particular product.

Actually George, you still have the same amount of mess! It is just you don't have to cut it out as that is already done. And you are left with a roughly 2" x 3" piece of bullet proofing with these strange shaped holes in it.
    Gary Johnson

1000 + threads !!!

This is the KING of threads!!
    Slot Car Racer you are the definitive afficianado of the hobby.

and all with a minimum of segways. off topic and senseless digressions.
    Guy Middleton
    Everything I was taught in Engineering school I had already learned from slot cars....

Individual posts within a thread are not counted as threads
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

Hey Zippy! Do like your handle and Zip-It. Gus in Sacto

Quote Originally Posted by caprikinggus View Post
    Hey Zippy! Do like your handle and Zip-It. Gus in Sacto
    Hey Gus,

At least I'm not "bad mouthing" a certain track owner

Quote Originally Posted by MentalKase View Post
    and all with a minimum of segways. off topic and senseless digressions.
    Well... at least until these last few posts...
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So, anyway, getting back to the "L" braces Gearbear mentioned a few posts ago, this is what I have done for many years now on scale bodies, I learned it from Lee Gilbert from whom I have done most of my learning. I think Speedshop ideas are still the best, based on testing and Lee's years of experience. This illustrates a typical "L" brace:

DSCN4264

A big howdy do to george

I for one am glad to have George I mean slotcar racer to have all these posts. Some comments that are off topic could use a little more tact. I look forward to having tips and news presented through a racer who periodically updates us. I want to thank you George. I have been racing only for almost 2 years and I am now feeling I've reached that competitive level to give racers notice that I'm not to be taken for granted. I guess what I'm saying is, without the reports we wouldn't be where we are today. Thanks Chuck

I like the way Lee uses the "L" brace with the body armour behind the rear wheel arches

I have been using that method since being shown how to do it by Lee in 2003.

George, what I hadn't seen before was the way you also apply the body armour on the outside of the body around the rear wheel arches. What a great idea

My new toy arrived today
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

SR- I am a long time user of this "L" brace, but I have to admit, I almost feel like sending Lee $ for using this brace design on nearly all of my bodies over the years.
    Though I understand why to use the "L" brace, one thing I am still not clear on is why a portion of the body is left unpainted, not the side wings, but the clear portion of the body when viewed from above- Is this left clear so that the "L" brace has something better to stick to other than paint? or is it a cosmetic detail to give the illusion of a separate wing?
    Asking all things relevant-

Quote Originally Posted by Berteinstein View Post
    SR- I am a long time user of this "L" brace, but I have to admit, I almost feel like sending Lee $ for using this brace design on nearly all of my bodies over the years.
    Though I understand why to use the "L" brace, one thing I am still not clear on is why a portion of the body is left unpainted, not the side wings, but the clear portion of the body when viewed from above- Is this left clear so that the "L" brace has something better to stick to other than paint? or is it a cosmetic detail to give the illusion of a separate wing?
    Jasn, you got it, just the illusion of nothing there.... a functioning winglet with a cloaking effect. You can do that to your bodies too, but you have to pay me five cents for every body using that idea. I'm also collecting royalties on behalf of Lee for the whole winglet thing so he can comfortably retire when he hits 75.

Darn- I just did a body count and it looks like I have to come up with about 45.25- Worth every penny. Check will be in the mail tomorrow-
    Asking all things relevant-