Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Time for photos from Italy. Precoka (Apricot) is Piero's club track, looks really fun

IMG_5422

IMG_5421

IMG_5419

IMG_5420
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

SR- thank you for the help on the F1- I don't get to drive that thing as often as I would like to so the setup has been a SLOW process. That is a very cool track Mr. Piero gets to run on- there is a lot of track in quite a small area. It reminds me of the pictures of the new Fresno flat track!
    Jasn
    Asking all things relevant-

Makes me want to give my builder the go ahead to start mine!

You can sure put a lot of track in a smaller space when you go. down to 6 lanes! I like that track! It kind of reminds me of the Monster but with some features that make the track flow much better.
    Gary Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by GearBear View Post
    You can sure put a lot of track in a smaller space when you go. down to 6 lanes! I like that track! It kind of reminds me of the Monster but with some features that make the track flow much better.
    Gary, looking at the second photo I think it shows a part of the track that allows you a second to "rest"...it's a simple finger that comes back to a simple lead-on turn and the main chute....to me, this is a smart layout. After the main chute is a lot of technical stuff that'll make you work hard, and that's good, but you also need something that isn't so hard...I think they accomplished that balance with Precoka....oh yeah, the apricot refers to the surface color!

I agree completely George. The flow of this track looks nice. In fact, I can see running this in either direction and it would still have a good flow!

The double corner lead on of the Monster breaks the flow of the track and makes for poor racing IMHO. Modifying that section of the track and making it a large corner similar to the Twister would give the track a much better flow and would give the driver a chance to relax. It would also cut down some on the track calls. All IMHO of course! I actually think the Monster would be more fun to run the in other direction.
    Gary Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by GearBear View Post
    I agree completely George. The flow of this track looks nice. In fact, I can see running this in either direction and it would still have a good flow!

The double corner lead on of the Monster breaks the flow of the track and makes for poor racing IMHO. Modifying that section of the track and making it a large corner similar to the Twister would give the track a much better flow and would give the driver a chance to relax. It would also cut down some on the track calls. All IMHO of course! I actually think the Monster would be more fun to run the in other direction.
    I like the lead on on the Monster. It reminds me of the Canadian White. Oddly, it seems there is always a section on any track that feels a little familiar. Although; I have not driven as many tracks as Racers like George.
    "Dub" Wade
    Nampa, ID
    208-392-0639
    dustynwade@ymail.com
    Dub Motors, Dub Rides, Dub Winged bodies, PMP Chassis, Paint by Odie, Bone Bodies.
    Of course Balance by Beuf
    3rd Eye Controllers

George, any idea of lane length on that bad boy? A 6 lane is what I have designed for the future basement.

Good morning Rocky. I believe Piero said it was 141' track which is a lot of track in a fairly small space. I have heard several racers refer to future basement tracks, something to be said for that.

Otherwise last night was sort of mundane removal of armatures from race motors to be sent out for recon, removing worn out tires from rims and going through the tedious but necessary task of cleaning up the hubs.

This weekend I need to work on the Mack Bulldog 3 adjusting the amount of rear steer. Returning from Philadelphia I feel now the car has too much steer, so the easiest and fastest way to adjust is to unsolder the front of the rail and move it rearward. I'll try it with rails all the way back then may move into the fully locked position eventually. It's all very adjustable.

SR- I have noticed on the Horky Chassis- the edges of the pans and center section are rounded over- I was wondering if this is common practice among the eurosport racing community?
    Jasn
    Last edited by Berteinstein; 08-03-2011 at 04:54 PM.
    Asking all things relevant-

Jasn, it doesn't take Albert Einstein to know why the edges are rounded over, it's so the chassis doesn't slice off people's fingers while turn marshalling.

Actually, I round off the edges on all chassis so that there are no sharp leading edges rubbing the track, that way you don't have to worry about your tyres losing grip if the chassis hits an unexpected bump or if there is extra naphtha on the track perchance so worse yet the tyres even come off the hubs!!

Last night started working on some new motors as experiments. Thought I'd try the Pro Slot FX can and endbell. I have some Koford .450L mag lying around that have a nice .555" airgap when slid into these two cans I got. Tonight it's time to scuff the inside of the cans, clean em with acetone, then apply the Skinner epoxy and go shake and bake. I need to remember to weigh one of the cans before I do this. The PS can looks really good, I think the metal is a bit heavier than the Cahoza material which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Hope to try these out this weekend.

Got out the Skinner epoxy last night, but first weighed the PS can (FX, not the VIP) and got 3.9 grams, about 1.5g more than a Cahoza can. Scored the inside of the cans, then cleaned the magnets and can with acetone, applied a thin coat of Skinner to each surface and let it set for 25 minutes. Something I didn't think of yesterday, once I got the magnets in the can with the glue, now the .555" slugs didn't work....obviously because the glue adds thickness...duhhhh. Back to the Unimat and turned the slugs down to .550" and that worked perfectly. After the glue air dries and I put them in the can, I have taken to just baking at 325* for at least an hour, and it really stinks up the place so had to open the kitchen door. After baking, the slugs came out nicely and left me with a .550" airgap. The plan is to pull the .560" hone through and then zap the set ups. I'll give one a try in an LMP (Contender or SW) and one with a G12 arm in a GT12. Looks like I'm on track to get those tested this weekend.

You use Skinners in your kitchen oven. Brave man.
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

George,

I can't believe you haven't invested in a Toaster oven for the garage for gluing up slot car motors! You can get one from Target for only $25
    Gary Johnson