Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Now, now Kids, so quick to judge! I use the toaster oven in the kitchen because we don't have enough space for a toaster. Anyway, wife works at Holiday Inn over in San Francisco evening shift, often 3pm-11pm, so the stench is pretty well gone by the time she gets home. I got that toaster oven when I ran Fastrax back in 1995-2000. We baked magnets in the gigantic back room at the Rodeo location for three years, then I kept it in the small office at the next location. As a matter of fact, wife and I only have one TV in the house, a 1984 Magnavox that I got when I bought the raceway. That TV used to sit on top of the refrigerator...we'd be racing on the flat track with Roseanne droning on in the background....TV still works great....our COMCAST remote failed a lot faster than any other appliance I own, but at least they replaced it at no charge.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Looks like Sunday is test day. Got a lot of work done today....that's WORK, not "work". I decided to disassemble the rear end of my Mack Bulldog 3 prototype, pull out the bearings, clean up the pillow blocks and polish things up...A CLEAN SLOTCAR IS A HAPPY SLOTCAR...rejigged using 40T spurs and turned the tires down to .645". Now it looks really good...but next we have to see if it RUNS really well. Also working mostly on C Can motors for the NORCAL series, so lots of G12s, Super Wasps and Contenders.

This evening I need to paint four Audi R10 Long for NORCAL LMP....they're allowing this body for the upcoming season on LMP, so it'll be a lot like USRA now...very cool. OK, I better stop pecking and start painting....

Poor FX, he seems very restless and upset today, I'm a bit worried about him. He's been spending way too much time running around and typing on the computer. I'll have to go have a talk with him.

Anyway, I worked on the slotcars as usual yesterday, got a lot of stuff prepared and then went to Slot Car Raceway, Site of the 2012 USRA Scale Nationals. Arrived around 2pm and the track had been cleaned. NORCAL racer Randy Keil was there doing some preparation for the first race of the 2011-2012 season. The track was really fast, it was really nice to test the cars.

LMP #1: Cheetah 11 .030" center and .030" pans...the heavy weight...new PS set up, the FX can with Koford mags, .560" airgap, BOW WOW Contender, Audi R10, 4.14 on yellow, very driveable...I was surprised at how good the motor is.

LMP #2: X25 two piece with new lexan adjustment, Cahoza set up, BOW WOW Contender, R8 body, 4.10 on yellow and handled much better than last week. Tried a different configuration of bullet proofing for the cross bar instead of big piece all the way across.

LMP #3: X25 three piece (.025" outers) Cahoza set up, PS Contender, R8 body also ran 4.10 on yellow, no appreciable difference now from the two piece chassis. Next, switched to the R10 body that was on the LMP #1....now we got to 4.05 and getting faster and faster....all three cars at .032" tech.

Bulldog 3: thank goodness, it's back! Ran a number of laps and it was stupidfast, got down to 3.73 quite quickly, and on .032" tech. Running the short Starfighter.

Bulldog 1: Good God, 3.65 out of the box with the long Starfighter. I think a stronger motor, but it was smoother than the Dog 3.

Dog 3 still had a tiny amount of pitter (no patter). May still have a little too much bite. But it is a ton and a half better than last week. I ran it a while longer and got a 3.68 with it. Next I need to solder the weights back into Dog 3. Right now it has no weight up front and no pan weights, pretty much like a Mack Open 12 chassis. Also can tape in the front inserts if needed.

OK, time to return to "work"....

FX sold the old Horky ES24 chassis, but we still have the newer one purchased earlier this year. Last night I started the disassembly process on the newer chassis, it's the best way to make it true and to give it a thorough overhaul. Chassis #1 turned out really well, the buyer got a good deal. Chassis #2 now has to compete with the Big Piero ES24 chassis which I think is currently the best thing going. I love the floating guide on it....just slides back and forth, no up and down movement, great idea. I still need to more body testing on Big Piero, but it looks like moving the body as far forward as possible is the way to go. Uh oh, gotta get back to "work" now....

Past few days are all about setting up the new Macbook Air, getting it connected to the old puter and moving files over. Not being a puter guy, it is confusing. Otherwise much time in the garage in the paint booth, doing a number of Red Fox Acuras and R10 Long version getting ready for LMP duty in the new NORCAL season. Testing on Sunday still has me scratching my head wondering how the two piece X25 compares to the X2511 (X25 center, C11 pans). I don't feel I got a really clear answer on Sunday, especially after making some lexan shim adjustments to the two piece. Only time will tell.

Good to see you're now an Apple Geek. So much better than Bill gates land!! Does this mean all future articles are going to be done on Pages?
    Pat

Risking saying anything controversial, all I will say Pat is that I have always used Apple at home but at the University we only use PCs. This new Macbook Air is incredibly compact, and very few moving parts, no hard drive to get messed up if you jostle it too much. The daughters have had too many laptops in the past that die because of being moved around too much....or too violently!

Got a chance to visit Slot Car Raceway in Rohnert Park on Wednesday. Very impressed with how well Frank takes care of these tracks, first class all the way. This was my first time on the Testarossa and I can tell I need to spend some more time here. I am planning to run Nascar and LMP this year and have enlisted some help for my motor program. Unfortunately my package was not here in time so I ended up just playing with a few things to get some time on both tracks. They usually run Nascar and SuperTruck on Tues night but it turned out to be a quiet night at SCR. Frank and Vegas were busy making plans for the upcoming 2012 USRA Scale Nats. Really looking forward to participating this year. Looks like Frank has a busy year planned with NorCal, Retro, Euro club, Birthday Bash, Nats Warm up, Wing cars and the Nats, oh and don't forget the weekly programs !

SR I look forward to finally meeting you on the 20th. This thread has helped revive my passion for toy cars

Thanks for all the time you spend logging and sharing all of your prep work and testing.
    Alan Ingram

Quote Originally Posted by Ingram View Post
    and have enlisted some help for my motor program. Unfortunately my package was not here in time...
    One good way to solve this problem from happening again is to have Frank built your power plants- He KNOWS a thing or two about what works well at his track and is a pretty good guy too!

Jasn
    Asking all things relevant-

Quote Originally Posted by Berteinstein View Post
    One good way to solve this problem from happening again is to have Frank built your power plants- He KNOWS a thing or two about what works well at his track and is a pretty good guy too!

Jasn
    Funny, Frank made the same suggestion

I can't argue with you there, I have seen his work and got to spend most of my time there with just me and him. Very good guy !

Actually I'm using Dub Motors. Met Dustin at the Flats this year and just really liked his approach and thought process. He does really nice work and I am looking forward to putting his services to the test. BTW, the lack of equipment was due to me giving an undeliverable address.

Only planning on running 2 classes this year but if everything goes well maybe I can run a full program by the second half of the season.
    Alan Ingram

You can't go wrong with DUB's motors! I have never seen a slow one!
    Gary Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by GearBear View Post
    You can't go wrong with DUB's motors! I have never seen a slow one!
    That was my thoughts, and he is a good guy too!

Looking forward to seeing all the PNW guys at the Nats this year. Frank showed me "The Ghetto" sign from a few years ago.
    Alan Ingram

Received the Atom armatures yesterday for testing this weekend. Got three .540" diameter arms, X12, Hornet and Contender. The first thing about them, good balance job for production arms. I'll run a lot of laps on them this weekend then send them out for rebalance after they've gotten good and hot. Another thing about these arms, they all sounded really good on the analyzer after full break in. I put the X12 in one of my favorite set ups for Group 12, a Kelly 3 hole can and T5 mags. The Hornet and Contender went into a couple of Cahoza UL set ups with T5s.

Otherwise, got the Acuras and Audi R10s finished up, just need to be pinned on various flexi chassis. Sure would be nice to see the NORCAL rules on the internet....

SR, sounds like you are really gearing up for this season. Looking forward to a report on those "new"Atom arms as they seem to have a lot of interest already.

I completely agree about the NorCal rules !
    Alan Ingram

SCR, Bluey sent out the rule changes via e-mail this morning.
    Support Your Local Raceway
    AKA "Big John"
    Bring us around