Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    SR
    I was very impressed with how easy it was to get bearings set perfectly in can and end bell using Proformance Racing bearing set tools they do both 2x6 and 2x5 oil lite's and bearings big time saver.They get the bearings so straight the only thing you feel is the mags pulling on the arm very impressed.this is how I get all my bearings set up but never this fast always some adjustments to make but with these collars 1 time done. Got 2 motors done and they both sound awesome on supply will start a open 12 with t-5's and cahoza ul can and end bell today and the jrl. chassis parts still floating around in mail system for rest of motors I am doing.
    Hi Mic, that item from Dave Liebenthal is for sure something a motor builder should own. Bearing alignment is something kind of neglected by a lot of builders. That's a great tool. Sounds like you had really good results.

Yesterday I did some testing with the Bulldog 3 playing around with the weights. We're running high downforce bodies so I tried out the Startfighter, both long and short. I found the short almost rotated too quickly in the esses on the Testarossa, the car looked like it was going to spin like a top...I should have tried it on red now that I think of it, could be great for the gutters. Anyway, the long version was much smoother on yellow and I found the front weights worked well.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

What is the overall impression of the Bulldog 3 compared to the Bulldog 2.

Mike
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

Quote Originally Posted by mazur50 View Post
    What is the overall impression of the Bulldog 3 compared to the Bulldog 2.

Mike
    Excellent question Mike. The past two weekends I have been testing a Bulldog 1 (2009) and the Bulldog 3. Maybe I am brain dead or something, but as of yet I cannot tell a difference on the Testarossa. However, as noted earlier, I haven't tested on the gutter lanes yet...that will come this Saturday in the race! All I can say is the Bulldog 3 is at least as good as the 2009 Bulldog. CRASH CODGER added the motor box brace to a Bulldog 2 and swears it is tons better......so far for me, not "tons better". I think time will tell the more guys run it. The differences between my 2009 and the Dog 3 are numerous, lots of what I would call major changes.

Do you not run the bulldog 2
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

Quote Originally Posted by mazur50 View Post
    Do you not run the bulldog 2
    Mike, I have never owned a Bulldog 2, only the Bulldog 1. As far as I can ascertain, Dog 2 is the same as the Original Dog except the weights are removeable for tuning. At the Nats in April, I ran a new 2009 Bulldog kit my friend CRASH CODGER had stashed away. I ran a Dog Uno at the 2010 Nats at Chick's. Ran the Primary Dog at the 2009 Nats in Montgomery in Cobalt 12. Ran the Bulldog III at the race in Phillie last month. I skipped from 1 to 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff714 View Post
    SR,

The picture of the Red Lightening is pretty crappy! Your assessment it right one the money though. At 136' running at 13.8V the track is fast and a lot of fun to drive. It does help to have a little time on the track because the track does have a couple of corky spots but once you know where they are the track is a blast and has produced some of the best races we've seen locally. We'll be testing 1/32 production and Group 10 cars in a warm up race this Wednesday night at the Race Place. Just as an example we'll be looking for our Group 10 cars to hot lap in the middle of the track from 4.3 to 4.4. Chip holds the track record for the class at 4.281. Ask him about that motor one of these days...

Hope to finish up 2 new Cahoza setups this weekend. One T5 magnets and the other with the angled tipped T2's. Built one with the angled tips already and they tested really well on the Red Lighting with a ProSlot .544 Super Wasp arm in a .560 hole. So I decided to drop in another set and see how they work with a smaller air gap and a BOW .540 contender. Both new motors will have the newer Cahoza gold plated hardware with the new heat sink ears. I'm hot sure if they will have any effect on performance but they look very cool!

Well it's time to take the kids to water park to wear them out a bit. If I'm successful I'll should be baking magnets in a few hours...

JEFF,
    That motor was a monster and then i some how misplaced it.
    PS I HATE YOU!!

Chip Jeff just gave that motor to me! HaHa!!
    Robert Geibel
    TEAM BLACK TOWEL
    Power by Mic Byrd & ChaChing Motors.
    Garden State Isra/Usa
    Garden State Isra Club, Bayville NJ
    Retro East
    Retro Chassis by JRM Chassis

Just managed to true some comms last night, I had to balance the family checkbook, not much time. Getting motors ready for Saturday's birthday bash for Frank at Slot Car Raceway, Site of the 2012 USRA Scale Nats in Rohnert Park, Calif just minutes from the beautiful Napa and Sonoma Valleys and a mere mile from the famous Black Bear Diner.

Hey SCR! You forgot to continue that the "Diner" is a mere 50ft from the Motel 6. Gus in Sacto

Gus, I've needed to eat at Blackbear a number of times, the small portion tri tip steak dinner is fantastic...but I have never needed to use the Motel 6. If you had a room at Motel 6 I can see how it might be nice to roll out of bed and end up in a booth at the diner. Might just have to go there this Saturday during Frank's B'day race.

Got quite a bit of work done last night including building up a BOW Contender that came out really nicely. It's a .540" arm I've had for about a year now, put it in a Cahoza UL set up with .560" airgap. Broke it in slowly and it sounds really scarey on "Ody" (the Slick 7 analyzer). I put the finishing touches on a new JK Products X25 chassis and loaded this Contender into it, then mounted an Acura. I've been so impressed with the two piece X25 for LMP, with the right lexan bulletproofing tuning it works just as well as any Cheetah 11 I have. I even made an X2511 (Cheetah 11 .025" pans on an X25 center) and I really can't tell much difference in lap times.....the two chassis do look different when going through the esses on the Testarossa, but both are planted and give great results.

SR
    I'm glad your liking the x-25 I have since they first came out .Are you running it this weekend will be looking for good results.If that contender motor has to much brake just take a little spring out of it .I run mine at 5.4 oz and they fly.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Mic, good to get verification on that chassis from one of the east coast's top racers. I may run it on Saturday, but it does not have the fastest motor in it...but that doesn't mean much considering "the fastest car is not necessarily the best car for a race". Kind of like "a clean slot car is a happy slot car". I've said this before, but I have seen all too many times a car that qualifies two or three tenths faster than the field is impressive, but in the race the closing rate is so fast it ends up all wadded with the motor dangling.

On the braking, I agree Mic, lately I have been taking the tension out at the brush end of the spring. I even got one motor to have too little brakes! Added a little more tension and it was better. Braking can be controlled by many factors, airgap, magnet strength, etc, but brush tension is an easy one to play with.

SR,

Bill Bugenis and I will be running as a team at the upcoming ISRA Worlds. Where would you put the lexan to start with on an A-Prod (handout 12 with a low downforce body) x-25 on Gugu's new track (likely moderately fast with some very tight corners, particularly on red)?

Please recall that 1) neither of us are great drivers, 2) we'll likely not have enough time to really learn the track, and 3) the track will likely be fubar'ed with way too much rubber at the time we qualify.

Also, I presume we should gear 7:42, at least at first. Does this make sense?

Greg

SR
    I agree with you on the fact that having the fastest car in a race isn't always the best idea . I found that out in Philly first hand in the c main in B-pro.when you close on a racer you don't always have time to react to his mistake when they happen I was lucky for most of the race but traffic still cost me 10 or so laps.On another note didn't see you signed up for worlds but looks like your race buddy is going ?good luck this weekend.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com