Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    SR
    I agree with you on the fact that having the fastest car in a race isn't always the best idea . I found that out in Philly first hand in the c main in B-pro.when you close on a racer you don't always have time to react to his mistake when they happen I was lucky for most of the race but traffic still cost me 10 or so laps.On another note didn't see you signed up for worlds but looks like your race buddy is going ?good luck this weekend.
    Hi Mic! No ISRA Worlds for me this year. Last year I went to so many races it became the bone of contention between wife and I, so I cut back a lot this year. Didn't go to The Masters, only the Nats, Seattle Slugfest and ISRA USA. The week of the Worlds wife and I are actually driving north with the two beagles to Seattle to visit our older daughter. We got a dog friendly cottage on the island Vashon where daughter lives, only a five minute walk from her house as a matter of fact. No slot box in the car, it is going to feel weird! It'll be a good vacation, first time wife and I have done anything in a few years.

As for Saturday, looks like everything is in good shape. Over the next few days I just need to assemble the GT12s, I have two to bring up there. I also went nuts and put together my 4" NASCAR with the motor I almost used in Phillie (I used a Fred Hood mill instead). Once in a while it is kind of fun to play on the King track.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Last night I got two GT12s ready for tomorrow, one is the Bulldog 3 prototype and the other is a Bulldog 1 I used at the Scale Nats this April. Hard to tell which will be better, but I think the Dog 3 will get the nod as it is a bit more race friendly. The motor in Dog 1 is scarey fast, the usual Cahoza T5 set up with .560" hole and a .540" Pro Slot X12 arm. Over time this arm has gotten better and better to the point where it is almost too fast, and I need usually 6-9 feet of choke with this one. In the Dog 3 I have an identical set up, but the "US12" arm from last year's Worlds production motor. This one is what I used at the Scale Nats and it is deceptively fast, but mostly very driveable. The long Starfighter is smoother in the esses at Frank's, however tomorrow when I get there I need to compare the long and the short to see how they compare on the red and black lanes. The short may like the tight twisties better on the gutter lanes. Oh well, I better get to "work" now.

SR,
    Sounds like you have most of the classes covered, except for Falcon Wing !
    I'm sure Frank could throw one together for you
    Alan Ingram

Quote Originally Posted by Ingram View Post
    SR,
    Sounds like you have most of the classes covered, except for Falcon Wing !
    I'm sure Frank could throw one together for you
    It was great to meet you Alan, it's funny how when you finally see an OWH User Name in person, the whole thing changes. It was good racing with you at the Frank Birthday Bash.

WHEN GAWRONSKI SHOWS UP TO RACE
    Not long after arriving at Slot Car Raceway, Rohnert Park, Calif, Frank told me Paul Gawronski (I think #5 world ranking) would be at the Birthday Bash, but it would be a "Worlds Warmup" not so much a "Birthday Bash". So, now we know the bar has just been raised to as high as it can go!

The NASCAR race was really fun on the flattish Ogilvie Blue King. I ran the Cheetah 11 .025" center section with the heavy pans, Pro Slot FX set up, BOW .560" 45* arm. Good motor, but not good enough. Came in 2nd behind NASCAR genius Ryan McDaniel, AKA "Vegas". Howard "Third Eye" came in third running the same motor I used in Philadelphia in Group 10!!! That was by far the fastest motor in the race, a .540" Pro Slot arm in a Duran set up. My race was plodding and steady, not too many unforced errors and only a few tangles with other racers, but overall pretty clean. The car handled really well, I could just hammer the donut on every lane.

I improved my result in LMP which was the largest attendance of the day with 15 entries. Gawronski and I pretty much raced separate races in this round robin, I don't remember the two of us being on the track at the same time, but maybe for only one heat. I ran my new X25/C11 combo chassis for the first time with a reasonably good motor....not the Super Wasp I ran in Philadelphia...that armature is still out for balance and recon, didn't get it in time. But it was a good Contender, Cahoza UL, T5 magnet set up. This is the first time running the 2011-12 NORCAL rules where .540" arms and Audi R10/Acura bodies are legal. The times dropped dramatically. The race started with Chris Chakires disappearing into the sunset with a new car. OMG, his motor was unbelievably stout. Unfortunately Chris t-boned Manion in the deadman around heat #3, I think, and lost the gear. He did a gear change and returned to the race ending up in 3rd. Meanwhile, I ran a fairly clean race but got collected a few times with slower traffic and resulting wrecks. I felt pretty good about managing the faster closing rate around slower traffic, so that worked well. The car was just very steady, and once the tires were in the goody zone, it was pretty much full punch in the esses on the right side of the track. I finished on white but had to come back in heat #15 to finish up on red. Gawronski probably started on red when I was on white but I'm guessing on that. He basically ran most of his race when I was turn marshalling and he just did the usual thing, avoided wrecks and drove steadily. Going into his last heat his average was half a lap per heat lower than mine, but I still didn't feel safe. Racing with Gawronski is kind of like being in Jurassic Park with the animals loose and running around. You don't know when you might be facing a velociraptor at the next turn. Anyway, when PG finished his last heat, he had 308 laps which was an awesome lap count for a three minute race. However, when I finally got back on red it became apparent when I hit 308 laps with 44 seconds remaining that I had won.

photo-6

GT12 rules changed for NORCAL also with the addition of .540" arms, axle bearings and the Starfighter. I chose to run my 2009 Bulldog that I used at the Scale Nats....it had a very stout motor. At least I thought it was stout until Gawronski was on green and catching me while I was on purple. That was kind of demoralizing as I had 8 feet less per lap to travel than he did!!! His motor made mine look pretty inferior. On the other hand, when you have Al Chuck sitting over by the race monitor watching the race with a smile on his face, I could only guess PG was running one of his legendary Box 12 mills. Good grief that motor had horsepower! I was very happy with my race. After the tires came in, I was nearly full punch around the whole track! That old Bulldog still handles great, but of course the Starfighter body is a real leveler. Overall it was a clean race, good racing by the whole field.

photo-4

As is usually the case, by the end of the day many of the earlier racers had evaporated out the front door, so the eurosport field was a bit sparse with only 7 entries. Many of the earlier racers were kind enough to remain and turn marshall which was very cool. I ran the latest Castricone chassis aka Big Piero. The motor was a six mag Gulliver, one of the original very narrow ones, only .595" o.d. can. The mags are honed to .480" and it has a .470" dia Valiko 23t25. I was first sit out (11 heats, 4 dummy positions) so came in on red. Red is 16 feet longer than black, so when you are on that lane, you really have to just drive the lane and ignore the feeling you are running a Falcon 7 against Eurosports, because that's how it feels! I had an awesome red, no unforced errors, 41 laps and fast time of 3.84. Gawronski was racing a rocket, there's no other description. This was for sure a development car for The Worlds in Brazil, he was taking no prisoners. Paul was a lane ahead of me, so when I was red, he was green and a lot faster. However, when I was on green and he was on blue, it was much more equal. I was feeling hopeful! Chris Chakires was running a Speedshop machine and also incredibly fast. The next heat when I was on blue, I was actually just barely falling behind Paul while he was on purple and I remember feeling that there was hope after all.....until I lost my car about a minute into the heat. I was just too tired...kind of like the backwards controller hook up in Philadelphia....and for some reason I started watching a light yellow car instead of mine. I'm not sure how I could confuse a silver/orange car with light yellow, however I drove that car (along with its real driver) full punch down the donut....it did really well too....but unfortunately my ACTUAL CAR was heading down the main chute and continued past the deadman and on to the floor. Turn marshall picked it up with the Gulliver dangling by the leadwires. I walked over to get it and made a plan that I would solder it in and continue as a practice race. Too bad my iron was now stored in my auto outside, so I walked to the front of the store and used Frank's iron. Finished the repair by the end of the heat, so I lost about two minutes of racing. Coming back in on purple, the car was every bit as good as it was on blue before the mishap. By the time I finished black I had decided that Big Piero is the best eurosport chassis I have driven. It is more consistent than anything else. The braids were in great shape so the power was consistent. The rest of the race was truly a pleasure in driving this car, I really enjoyed how it worked, and with Paul on orange and white lanes, I was considerably faster than he was, so this verified my wishful thinking earlier in the race. The result was not bad for losing two minutes....figure 50 laps per heat average and do the math. Anyway, PG just barely won, Chris Chakires as usual was fast and kept PG honest, only a lap behind. Jasn Hper from Reno, NV had another good finish in our eurosport racing with 3rd.

photo-5
    Last edited by Slotcar Racer; 08-21-2011 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    It was great to meet you Alan, it's funny how when you finally see an OWH User Name in person, the whole thing changes. It was good racing with you at the Frank Birthday Bash.
    SR it was great to meet you too. You can hardly call what I was doing as racing but I did have fun and learned a lot.

My plans for this year have been in a state of flux and it was not until recently that it looked as though I would be staying in the NorCal area for a while at least. That lead to the decision to compete in the very tough NorCal series in Nascar and LMP. I know it has been stated before but this series can easily have 25-35 racers show up representing some of the best racers in the nation. So when Frank announced this race it looked like a good chance to get some race experience before the Sept 10 season opener. Having been away from racing for 20+ years I was hoping to get some good laps in under race pressure and not get in the way of too many people.

Last month I was able to compete in The Flats in WA and had a great time, saw some people I haven't seen in every long time and met some great new friends including 3 top notch track owners; Jim Radford PSCR, Mike Williams Hot Slots, and Dustin (Dub) Wade Wade Raceway. Without the tools, time, or space to get a complete races program up and running I talked with Dub about putting together a motor program for this year. I had spent some time talking with Dub, his motors were VERY impressive and I liked his approach, seemed like a good fit. Both power plants were solid, the Nascar was strong and very predictable. Unfortunately I wasn't able to race the Contender because during my first test session I came off in the esses right in front of your (SR) very fast GT12 and was unable to call out caution quick enough resulting in a dangling motor and loose magnet. The only back up available was a very tired contender that should have been in there for practice in the first place.

The final result for the day was that I had a lot of fun, meet some great racers, got some valuable testing in and I am eager to continue to improve this season.

I would also like to say Frank ran an impressive program, 5 races in about 6 hours ! Thank You Frank.

3 weeks until NorCal season !
    Alan Ingram

Sunday was armature extraction day, pulled all the arms from Saturday's event for reconditioning. Set ups took a bath in the ultrasonic cleaner to make them happy slot cars. The item I was most interested to do a post mortem was the Castricone eurosport chassis. This one took the deadman wall full punch resulting in the Gulliver trying to leap out of the chassis for safety. We know the story already, the motor was reinstalled and we went on our merry way. I tore down the car yesterday and put the chassis on the aluminum block and found it was dead flat....I mean, it was even flatter than flat it was so flat....Either that was a lucky hit, or Piero's chassis is bullet proof. Man, it must have took a hit for Gulliver to bail out, but no damage. The body on the car was untouched, looked like new. Piero's new ES24 chassis is amazing. So, right now all the chassis are sitting on the workbench ready for the first NORCAL race. Eurosport Club is the following day....1/32 F1, ES32 and ES24....not sure which day I look forward to more!

That's an impressive chassis. I saw that wall shot and it was not pretty !
    Alan Ingram

The item I was most interested to do a post mortem was the Castricone eurosport chassis. This one took the deadman wall full punch resulting in the Gulliver trying to leap out of the chassis for safety. We know the story already, the motor was reinstalled and we went on our merry way. I tore down the car yesterday and put the chassis on the aluminum block and found it was dead flat....I mean, it was even flatter than flat it was so flat....Either that was a lucky hit, or Piero's chassis is bullet proof.
    SCR...Send the chassis my way. I can crash test it for you and tell you whether or not its bullet proof. I've probably broken more GT-12, Open Group 12, 1/32 & 1/24 Eurosport chassis in the last year or 2 than everyone I know combined. If I can't break or bend it then you'll know it's indestructible.
    Farmingdale, NJ 07727
    732-938-5215

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry123 View Post
    SCR...Send the chassis my way. I can crash test it for you and tell you whether or not its bullet proof. I've probably broken more GT-12, Open Group 12, 1/32 & 1/24 Eurosport chassis in the last year or 2 than everyone I know combined. If I can't break or bend it then you'll know it's indestructible.
    SR
    I can vouch for what Jerry is saying he must have a pile of broken chassis
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry123 View Post
    Come on Jerry! The way you raced last month, it's hard to believe you've crashed anything very hard....but then again, you were going so danged fast, I can see that if it goes wrong, it must go wrong in a very big way. The Camen 44T 80 pitch spur on my car was pretty gnarly looking, lots of damaged teeth, looked a bit like a guy down by the waterfront. However, the gear was silent during the remainder of the race, a testament to the Camen spurs. They don't give up easily either. Jerry, just you wait for another 30 years or so and you too will enjoy losing your stupid slot car in the middle of a race!!! God I hate aging.....

That's an impressive chassis. I saw that wall shot and it was not pretty !
    Actually Alan, I only checked it for flatness....now that I think about it some more, I need to line it up on graph paper to see if it is SQUARE. It might be a flat parallelagram!!!! Yeah, any time you knock a motor out, that took a lot of force.

Lee and I had a comparison conversation about the of the new Piero chassis of mine and the Horky. Lee found them almost identical, except for the tripod being on the front of the Piero and on the back of the Horky. I mention a few minor differences such as the pan dimples and rear cross as well as few other things I observed that were different.
    I asked him if the Horky's have bent in a particular way and he said yes. Then I explained that the Piero chassis might not have that problem of paralleling as much because the tripod is on the front re-enforcing the front wing/ears (or sponsins as I call them). This was the theroy behind the tripod chassis in wing cars as oposed to the perimiter chassis. Taking a wall shot or also in cornernering the flex is tranfered more to the rear which is on the Piero chassis stiffened by the center spine. On the Chicago Horky the chassis will flex at some point at the two front wings but is stiffend at the spine's tripod. Something usually got to give under stress situation and a result will be bending of the chassis in a partcular way. Has that happened to any of your Horky or Mack chassis?

Obviously if you hit a wall hard enough any chasssis will bend or tweek.

I had to laugh the chassis I recieved was wrapped in a mailing envelope return addressed Jaroslan Recek who builds and cuts Horky's chassis I believe. Or as I refer to as the "Shroud of Recek".

Raymond
    Last edited by Slapshot; 08-23-2011 at 04:13 AM.

Actually Alan, I only checked it for flatness....now that I think about it some more, I need to line it up on graph paper to see if it is SQUARE. It might be a flat parallelagram!!!! Yeah, any time you knock a motor out, that took a lot of force.
    What was most impressive to me was your reaction and lack of panic, considering you were pacing at least for a podium. When the marshal told you the motor was out, you calmly walked over thanked him and casually walked over to Franks work station to put your motor back in.
    Alan Ingram

What was most impressive to me was your reaction and lack of panic, considering you were pacing at least for a podium. When the marshal told you the motor was out, you calmly walked over thanked him and casually walked over to Franks work station to put your motor back in.
    Well Alan, it goes to show that slotcar racing is a lot of fun, but quite honestly, it isn't THAT important to me! During a race, things happen out of our control including our brains suddenly shifting to another channel. At SCR weekly races, when falling off the track we have often exclaimed "oh no, there goes The Worlds!!!" as if our little race is some huge event. I'm not saying what we do is trivial, but I certainly do not take it terribly seriously!