Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Quote Originally Posted by Slapshot View Post
    Lee and I had a comparison conversation about the of the new Piero chassis of mine and the Horky. Lee found them almost identical, except for the tripod being on the front of the Piero and on the back of the Horky. I mention a few minor differences such as the pan dimples and rear cross as well as few other things I observed that were different.

Raymond, I wouldn't say the Piero and the Horky are very much alike at all! Perhaps at a quick glance to the untrained eye they would look the same. Something that will really delineate the two is when you take them apart. To disassemble the Horky requires the removal of several stops. With Piero's chassis, it only requires one stop, it is much easier and faster to disassemble for maintenance. To me that is a huge difference.
    I asked him if the Horky's have bent in a particular way and he said yes. Then I explained that the Piero chassis might not have that problem of paralleling as much because the tripod is on the front re-enforcing the front wing/ears (or sponsins as I call them). This was the theroy behind the tripod chassis in wing cars as oposed to the perimiter chassis. Taking a wall shot or also in cornernering the flex is tranfered more to the rear which is on the Piero chassis stiffened by the center spine. On the Chicago Horky the chassis will flex at some point at the two front wings but is stiffend at the spine's tripod. Something usually got to give under stress situation and a result will be bending of the chassis in a partcular way. Has that happened to any of your Horky or Mack chassis?
    Raymond, your knowledge of chassis is showing with this observation, I think you are absolutely correct. The Horky and Macks do not like frontal hits. If you hit one of the front wings, it bends the whole front of the chassis into a crazy parallelagram shape. I spent 1 1/2 hours disassembling Hermanator's Horky in Chicago in April before the Nats eurosport race. It needed to be completely torn down because one of the front wings was bent backwards really badly. Even after spending much time on it, I still wasn't 100% happy with it, but at least it was flat. I was close to calling it TOTALLED. I have seen this with the Mack also, but what's nice about it is you can just remove the piano wire rails and replace them. The same rails on the Horky need to be salvaged if they get messed up. The front tripod on my Piero must have been what saved it on Saturday. I checked it on the grid paper last night and it is absolutely straight. I still can't believe it survived that hit.
    Obviously if you hit a wall hard enough any chasssis will bend or tweek.

I had to laugh the chassis I recieved was wrapped in a mailing envelope return addressed Jaroslan Recek who builds and cuts Horky's chassis I believe. Or as I refer to as the "Shroud of Recek".

Raymond
    Great observations by you and Lee!
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Well Alan, it goes to show that slotcar racing is a lot of fun, but quite honestly, it isn't THAT important to me! During a race, things happen out of our control including our brains suddenly shifting to another channel. At SCR weekly races, when falling off the track we have often exclaimed "oh no, there goes The Worlds!!!" as if our little race is some huge event. I'm not saying what we do is trivial, but I certainly do not take it terribly seriously!
    Well SR, that just reinforces my previous impression ! It is possible to be a top contender and still have fun ! Sometimes I wonder how much fun some are having yelling and screaming at every race .

On another note it sounds like you are headed to the Pacific Northwest soon. Might I suggest a local brew to try? Mac & Jacks African Amber is one of my local favorites from Redmond WA and usually available throughout most of the Puget Sound area. Actually there are several top notch Micro Breweries in the state and you should be able to enjoy some very good version of just about any ale, lager or even barley wine. Hope you enjoy your time on Vashon.
    Alan Ingram

... let me see what is on ESPN...
    Asking all things relevant-

Jasn, thank you for reminding me about ESPN...

Oh, speaking of ESPN, are you tired of listening to those stupid outgoing messages on cell phones? There is a solution to bypassing those instructions....like the "to leave a call back number, press 5"....you know, those stupid instructions.

"... who ARE THESE PEOPLE..." Like I really want to send a FAX to your cell phone... If I wanted to try my call again, I guess the logical thing to do would be to hang up and try my call again-

Jasn
    Last edited by Berteinstein; 08-23-2011 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Old TV show reference-

Alan,

Next time you are up this way you should try out some of the stuff at Snoqualmie Brewery. http://www.fallsbrew.com/. They also make a really good Root Beer!

SR,

Glad your chassis is still straight! Unfortunately, the spring steel chassis never seem to handle the same after they have been bent. I have a G27L chassis that is going in the trash as it is too bent to fix.
    Gary Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Berteinstein View Post
    "... who ARE THESE PEOPLE..." Like I really want to send a FAX to your cell phone... If I wanted to try my call again, I guess the logical thing to do would be to hang up and try my call again-

Jasn

Bert, THANK YOU for saying that....THANK YOU....

Slotcar Racer-
    I did a quick post race tear down on the 1/24 eurosport from "The Bash"- I noticed that the arm in that little unit was actually a 19/24.5- and silly me, this whole time I thought it was a 20/25- it WAS in the Camen 12mag as I thought... complete with green spring cups- (even though green fall cups are not that far away)

Jasn

Here's what the Bulldog 3 kit looks like in the package

DSCN4293

If doing more than one build, I suggest saving the big bag for parts, just cut off the little sack full of brass tube

DSCN4294

And this is the parts sheet, nice EDM cut pieces

DSCN4295

This all might seem very obvious to many of you, but for those builders who have not tackled a project like this all you need to do is "break off" the pieces from the sheet. I suggest starting with the pans...get a good grip on it

DSCN4296

And it usually breaks off pretty easily, but may take a bit of wiggling...

DSCN4297

And there you have it, one pan broken off. Note that this is the pan that still have the removeable weight attached, the other pan does not have the weight, you have to solder the weight to that one

DSCN4298

So after a little wiggling, you get the other pan broken off

DSCN4299

Now that the pans are off, you break off the next "layer" of parts, the sheet right next to the center section

DSCN4300

As you can see, it breaks right off pretty easily

DSCN4301

And once that side is off, you now have this

DSCN4302

And, then just break off the other side

DSCN4303

Freeing up the front of the chassis is a bit balky, but grab it and wiggle it....good idea to stabilize the center section on a block to avoid unnecessary bending

DSCN4304

And there you have it, the piece comes off. By the way, you will end up with a lot of spring steel (no Bert, not Fall Steel, this is Spring Steel) scraps good for scratch building or repairs.

DSCN4305

Next you want to free up the rear end of the center section, here is a close up of a piece you can just break off...it's literally held on by just a "hair"

DSCN4306

And then you have another piece of scrap steel to set aside....

DSCN4307

Next you just wiggle off the rear scrap which only contains the two pillow blocks for the rear bearings....lots of scrap steel on this piece!

DSCN4308

Time to stop and take stock of what we've done so far....we have the basic large pieces broken off. Now get ready to break out the small bits. For this, get a nice pair of pliers, I use a short needle nose...

DSCN4309

Let's start with something easy

DSCN4310

For the most part, these small bits are only held in by two points, so you merely rotate the part until it's out

DSCN4311

It's out!

DSCN4312

OK, we have the guide spacer and the guide tongue freed up

DSCN4313

Now for the pillow blocks, break them out of the piece from the rear of the chassis

DSCN4315

Now we have the pillow blocks out

DSCN4317

Now time to tackle one of the more complex pieces

DSCN4318

This has one of the front weights, four pieces used with the rear cross bar, the front wheel struts, the hinge parts for the front of the pans, and the leadwire loops. The front weight takes a bit of sweat to remove, seems like it is held in place by more than two points, but with perseverance you eventually "rock" it out

DSCN4319

Once you get that front weight out, it's easy to remove the insert to the weight

DSCN4321

And then knock out those two rear crossbar members

DSCN4322