Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

SR-
    Does that tiny "D" piece solder to center of the chassis- (like to brass tube did in the prototype)?

Jasn
    Asking all things relevant-

Quote Originally Posted by Berteinstein View Post
    SR-
    Does that tiny "D" piece solder to center of the chassis- (like to brass tube did in the prototype)?

Jasn
    Yes Bert, the tiny D goes over the center spine, has a .039" hole in it. Your .019" cross wire goes between the front of the front leadwire retainer and behind the "D".....you just solder the D to the spine where you want it. You can clamp that cross wire tightly and it has more a spring action when the pans move front to rear (they will center this way) or leave a little slop and it will move more freely. You'll see how it goes when you order yours and build it. Just take your time cleaning up the parts, they take a fair amount of work to get them to fit really nicely in the various slots, but Einstein could figure it out in an instant. No problem.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff714 View Post
    Sr,

Your grandson is shopping for sun glass in a retail store. I would have thought by now he'd have a pair or two from Grand Dad... He has good taste though as you know I'm a Ray Ban fan!!!
    I'll have to look at the baby Raybans

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    You'll see how it goes when you order yours and build it.
    Don't mean to brag, but built it... minus the "D" and raced it this last weekend in Carson.

Bert, you aren't bragging, you're simply stating the fact you built a Dog 3 and raced it. Nay nay nay nay nay nay Did you put in the cross wire and not put in the "D" stop? How did you configure it? Without the crosswire, the two pans will move independently with a fair amount of side movement as you know. How do you compare this new one with the previous iterations? CRASH CODGER is finding it to be a bit tight in handling, some pitter patter in some corners of the Fresnoid hillclimb....he was thinking some slippier tires maybe. The spine and the motor box reinforcement has done some big time stiffening of the Dog.

Don't mean to brag, but built it... minus the "D" and raced it this last weekend in Carson.
    How did it compare with the PMP you blueprinted for John Down at Carson? Looks like he was only 5 laps back. Looks like it was a fun turnout
    "Dub" Wade
    Nampa, ID
    208-392-0639
    dustynwade@ymail.com
    Dub Motors, Dub Rides, Dub Winged bodies, PMP Chassis, Paint by Odie, Bone Bodies.
    Of course Balance by Beuf
    3rd Eye Controllers

SR-

Fact- Bulldog 3 is great straight out of the box (bag actually) as are all of the Mack products I have tried-
    Fact- Bulldog 3 did have a little "Pitter Patter" in the doughnut at the locally famous Carson Slotcar Raceway- I was not sure if it was the chassis/body/tyre combination or the different spray glue that was used over the race weekend
    Fact- Bulldog 3 was raced with a PSE Storm body and not the standard issue "Bent Lee" body- Bent Lee had too much grip on the gutters, but was more stable on the center lanes. Since the name of the game is to get the most laps, and not to have the most stable car on the center lanes, the Storm was used.
    Fact- Bulldog 3 was run with a .025 center spine (I think I will change this to the .039, as when the chassis is "flexed" the "spine" deforms)
    Fact- Bulldog 3 was run with the .019 cross wire to limit the "fair amount of side to side movement" - I split the difference and limited the side to side to a reasonable amount
    Fact- Bulldog 3 was not run with the "D" piece as Albert was doing this assembly at 1:30 am after 5 previous nights of very limited sleep
    Fact- Bulldog 3 was a pleasure to assemble with only minor de-burring
    Fact- Bulldog 3 was only "tuned" with a body and no chassis adjustment were made
    Fact- Bulldog 3 will have to be tested against previous Dogs to give an honest comparison-

Jasn

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Raceway View Post
    How did it compare with the PMP you blueprinted for John Down at Carson? Looks like he was only 5 laps back. Looks like it was a fun turnout
    Fact- The Bulldog 3 was on average .62 laps faster than the PMP-

John's PMP seemed to work very well - better than I expected- and more over it did not break!

Jasn

Fact- The Bulldog 3 was on average .62 laps faster than the PMP-

John's PMP seemed to work very well - better than I expected- and more over it did not break!

Jasn
    Haha, very good explanation. Great Job Jason
    "Dub" Wade
    Nampa, ID
    208-392-0639
    dustynwade@ymail.com
    Dub Motors, Dub Rides, Dub Winged bodies, PMP Chassis, Paint by Odie, Bone Bodies.
    Of course Balance by Beuf
    3rd Eye Controllers

I'll have to shoot photos of the Budgie this evening....I took one photo this morning and then the screen on the camera went to "Battery Exhausted"....great timing. It was really dark and overcast this morning anyway. So, the battery is cooking right now, I'll get some photos when I get home this evening and post them.

SR-

Fact- Bulldog 3 is great straight out of the box (bag actually) as are all of the Mack products I have tried-
    Fact- Bulldog 3 did have a little "Pitter Patter" in the doughnut at the locally famous Carson Slotcar Raceway- I was not sure if it was the chassis/body/tyre combination or the different spray glue that was used over the race weekend
    Fact- Bulldog 3 was raced with a PSE Storm body and not the standard issue "Bent Lee" body- Bent Lee had too much grip on the gutters, but was more stable on the center lanes. Since the name of the game is to get the most laps, and not to have the most stable car on the center lanes, the Storm was used.
    Fact- Bulldog 3 was run with a .025 center spine (I think I will change this to the .039, as when the chassis is "flexed" the "spine" deforms)
    Fact- Bulldog 3 was run with the .019 cross wire to limit the "fair amount of side to side movement" - I split the difference and limited the side to side to a reasonable amount
    Fact- Bulldog 3 was not run with the "D" piece as Albert was doing this assembly at 1:30 am after 5 previous nights of very limited sleep
    Fact- Bulldog 3 was a pleasure to assemble with only minor de-burring
    Fact- Bulldog 3 was only "tuned" with a body and no chassis adjustment were made
    Fact- Bulldog 3 will have to be tested against previous Dogs to give an honest comparison-

Jasn
    Factually this is a great analysis Bert Ein, I am most interested in your .025" center spine....I'm wondering how well that works as it passes through the hole on the rear leadwire holder. I know with the .039" wire I've had to deburr the hole to allow the wire to go through....I have not yet tried a .032" wire to see how it fits through the hole, but I think a tight fit or even soldering might make a difference if the wire is not held somewhat firmly. Attaboy for trying different bodies instead of the philosophy of O/S Bent Lee makes everything work great....no, it does not. What did you run at Frank's last week, didn't you run a Starfarter? That's what I used on a 2009 Dog 1 and it was unbelievable on Frank's track. That body has a ton of downforce. I think your Storm is a bit like the short Starfarter. I tested that body and it helped a lot in the car turning on a dime in the gutter lanes.

As for Bert's late night adventure with Dog 3, you can always do as Richard's instructions say and simply add a small "L" piece to limit the movement of the .019" crosshair. Richard approves "D" and "L" as letters of choice. Seems like the Dog 3 is a work in progress that we all need to play with some more. Right now I am preparing for the first NORCAL with my 2009 Dog and if I have time I'll work on building yet another Dog 3. Thanks again for the good report Bert.

DSCN4345
    DSCN4335
    DSCN4336
    DSCN4339
    DSCN4341
    DSCN4343
    DSCN4344

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    NPN.....PNP...PPN....NNP....PNN.....it's all the same electronic gibberish to me.....glad you know the difference Mike, I just try to pull the trigger in the right places...I'll post some photos of the troller tomorrow, hopefully you can make out the NPP PPN or whatever it is...
    This version controller uses a 2n5686 PNP.

Raymond
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Slapshot View Post
    This version controller uses a 2n5686 PNP.
    Yea- that was my next guess- the old 2n5686 PNP Niner Roger Copy That Over

SR- Is that controller going to be on display at the upcoming NORCAL/SCRA season opener at the WORLD famous Slotcar Raceway in Rohnert Park?

Jasn

DOH! make that t NPN....
    Sorry about that...
    Ahh was sleep deprived and tired when posted it actually the 2n5686 is a NPN at least I got the tech sheet that included the correct info though. Even though I didn't even read it like I should of.

Raymond