Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Slotcar Racer,

Any chance of a photograph or two to better expalin what you are saying in post #103?

I too have a Horky 24 Eurosport chassis which I would love to be able to tweak

Thanks in advance.
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

I'll get right on it Zippity. Got a fresh battery in the Nikon Coolpix 8800 last night ready to take more slotcar racer photos. I'll set up some photos of the adjustment process.

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    By the end of the week, I should have my new tall block from Joel, that's a SINGLE MAG .480"T X .300"L set up....those are tall and narrow singles folks. I'm planning to put a Valiko 22t24.5 in it, then it goes into the Horky and we'll test both the motor, and run the tires down to nothing. Report to follow. Gotta go...
    Ahhhhh that will be end of next following week he has a couple other items of another Camenskateer in the "Camen Logic" oven.

While you waiting for your .480 tall ask Joel to stick 18 mags in there, the two I got are sweet horsepower and love the 19 to 17/24 just fine......

Raymond

Slotcar Racer-
    Any tips for testing cars without a track? You are making me jealous- Do you offer some sort of mail the car to you, tell me what you think, mail the car back to me... kinda program?

PS- Remember to charge the camera batteries as I am trying to picture what you are talking about adjustment wise on the Horky and it is making my head hurt-
    Asking all things relevant-

Due to a number of requests, here is a set of photos on Flickr with my Horky adjustment steps:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56038309@N08/

Slotcar Racer

Quote Originally Posted by Berteinstein View Post
    Slotcar Racer-
    Any tips for testing cars without a track? You are making me jealous- Do you offer some sort of mail the car to you, tell me what you think, mail the car back to me... kinda program?

PS- Remember to charge the camera batteries as I am trying to picture what you are talking about adjustment wise on the Horky and it is making my head hurt-
    Jason, you can leave Reno at 9:00am on Saturdays and be at Frank's by Noon to test, right? Isn't it about 3 hours Reno to Rohnert Park? How about testing at Rocklin when Dwight gets the flat track up and running? That should be a good test track. As far as the Horky adjustments go, take three aspirin and look at the Flickr photos I just posted.

Hi Ray, got the tall block yesterday, loaded a Valiko 22t24.5 in it last night and now that I've taken photos of my Horky for Flickr, I am going to load that lump into the Horky. I think Saturday will be a good day to go to Frank's.

George,

Thanks for the pics! Now I understand what you are talking about. Just an observation, it might be easier to go to your local auto part store and buy a set of feeler gauges. Take the 15 thou and put it under the pan before moving your pin.
    Gary Johnson

George
    Great step by step instructions.
    Rumour has it that the great Recek himself is coming to our 24 Nats in August. I'll take questions for him if you like.
    Pat (look out for next issue of SCRN with exclusive Horky interview within.)

Pat, with Recek coming to your Nats, he's another Czech to add to that race. I know you had more last summer including Tony Jr. Looking forward to reading the Horky interview. I've always wondered if Vladimir speaks much English....or did you employ the services of a translator? I was completely impressed by Mr. Horky and the entire Czech crew at The Worlds last October, what an operation.

Quote Originally Posted by GearBear View Post
    George,

Thanks for the pics! Now I understand what you are talking about. Just an observation, it might be easier to go to your local auto part store and buy a set of feeler gauges. Take the 15 thou and put it under the pan before moving your pin.
    Hi Gary, why don't you try it out? However, one thing to keep in mind, the goal of the pan height adjustment is to be able to do it between races quickly. This is a fast and dirty chassis adjustment....think crank going in rear window and two turns....It's really easy to have a couple of pieces of bulletproofing ready to stick on the pan, then hit the pins, especially when the adreneline is still pumping through your system. I think you'd find steel feeler gauges would be too long and move around all over the place unless you made some kind of permanent changing block. Yeah, I have feeler gauges already, if you'll remember this Saturday when I go for the test session, my Horky is at .007" clearance right now (checking with a feeler gauge) and the tires are at .595"....I want to see IF it handles...HOW it handles...and HOW LONG it will handle...if I get 30 laps, that will be very good.

Slotcar Racer
    Don't own a horky but great info non the less .could be way horky ran so well in the worlds seem he had just enough tire left there at the end.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

George,

I haven't picked up a Horky... Yet... Still on the fence about spending $275 for just a chassis.
    Gary Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by GearBear View Post
    George,

I haven't picked up a Horky... Yet... Still on the fence about spending $275 for just a chassis.
    That's a pretty tall fence!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

OK, shifting away from Eurosport since last night.....the Horky is in my box waiting for Sunday testing.....Skinnered in three pairs of T5s last night: two UL set ups ($$$$$) and one Kelly four hole can with PS endbell (<$$$) This will be about experimenting with some different ideas, not just more of the same. Let's just say I am only working with maximum diameter .518" arms right now. Next big race is NORCAL first Saturday in March at TNT Raceway in Modesto, CA. NORCAL does not allow arms larger than .518"....in fact, one of the tech directors has this funky little gadget that lights up or does something....they are doing their due diligence in preventing the uncontrolled spread of big diameter C Can arms. The strangest part about this set of rules is they allow 16D arms up to .560". Don't even wonder why. Anyway, I got the Kelly set up loaded up this morning with a Koford Competitor arm 40* .518"D, put a 7T pinion on it for starters (the Corkscrew is at most 90' long, probably less). Then, it took a really long time to straighten out my Nats winning Cheetah 11 from the last race at Modesto which was a crash fest. This time I'm going to use the 16* angled spur for more gear contact. Got a new JK Products BMW mounted and will test tomorrow along with the Horky. Gotta go.