Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    SR
    MY dog 3 is complete Built it with .032 spine and .039 rails with no steer will see Friday night if it works good enough for Sunday race if not have the tazer ready and the Saunders gt-12 10. will let you know
    Mic, I am 100% confident in suggesting that you knock out the .039" rails and replace with .047". Believe me, the skinny rails do not work for the weight of the C Can lump, you really need the .047". Try the .039" if you like, but I can already tell you the handling will be very weird. I'd go with or without rear steer using .047". I think your Friday night test will be more successful this way!
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Changes made as per suggestion
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

OK, here we go again with a new build. This is a Mack 1/32 F1, the latest version. Another brain twister.

DSCN4355 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

Now that I have the parts separated, not sure what to do, but I'm getting ideas. The rear end is a no brainer, and I figured out the little banana part is the motor brace. This chassis takes .047" piano wire according to the email I got from Richard this morning.

IMG_0230 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

These are courtesy of Patrick Skene, publisher of the BSCRA Journal

IMG_0239 by svtgeorge, on Flickr
    Notice the interesting endbell hardware Richard Mack designed on the motor!
    Last edited by Slotcar Racer; 09-09-2011 at 04:08 PM. Reason: upgraded photos

George
    i'm glad the magazine is of use.

Watch out for new chassis galore in the next issue plus a seriously good article on Slot Car Racing in California!!! also a major feature on the UK 24 Nats, The NZ Nats and slot racing in South Africa.

SLot Car Karma indeed. Pour yourself a Bellhaven Best.

Pat

Thanks Pat, the magazine is not only useful, it's enjoyable. The more Bellhavens I drink the funnier the articles are. Interesting how that works.

So I got this far last night without soldering the center pivot in

DSCN4361 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

and then I looked at it this morning and started to lay out the pans to try to piece the puzzle together. Suddenly I realized that I needed to put in the stay for the rear pan mount. So, I need to get that fitted and pull out the piano wire center pivot. It appears there are two options for this rear stay with different size holes for this .047" pivot wire, so I need to think that through a little more. The photo in BSCRA journal is very helpful in solving the puzzle.

OK, so that last photo is a dismal failure of a guess of how this goes together. Luckily I had only mocked it up and not soldered anything. I discovered the best way to solve the riddle of a eurosport chassis without good photos or instructions is to clean up all the tiny bits and then put it together without soldering it. This is how far I've gotten with the center section.

DSCN4362 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

I also sent this next photo to Richard to see which way that little hinge piece is supposed to go....that's for the front pan hinge....it could be turned either way and still fit the hole in the front wheel strut. Got email back from Richard saying he fashions something out of piano wire, I think he said an "L" shaped piece....piano wire makes a better hinge pin for sure....but the description has me stopped dead in my tracks!!!

DSCN4363 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

Well, tomorrow is race #1 for NORCAL. My LMP and GT12 are ready to go....just a matter of survival during the race, these things are pretty rough....no qualifying, just a gigantic round robin...out on white, in on red, out on purple, in on black....we could have over 20 entries easily per class.

Pat Skene, publisher of the unsurpassed slot mag the BSCRA Journal forwarded original photos of the new Mack F1

IMG_0239 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

IMG_0230 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

IMG_0237 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

So George,

What is the thought on the round robins vs the qualifying/multiple mains format that we use? Doesn't the big round robin make for crash fests? And how on earth do you figure out the standings during the race? Personally, I hate Round Robins. And do you just have the computer randomly pick your lanes for you?
    Gary Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by GearBear View Post
    So George,

What is the thought on the round robins vs the qualifying/multiple mains format that we use? Doesn't the big round robin make for crash fests? And how on earth do you figure out the standings during the race? Personally, I hate Round Robins. And do you just have the computer randomly pick your lanes for you?
    Gary, as an astute individual you have pretty much summed up the NORCAL game. Qualifying with multiple mains is for sissys. Racing in a NORCAL round robin is for real men. Just kidding....yeah, I agree with you that round robins are a drag. Like I said, there are so many entries it is a double round robin too, and you have assigned marshalling after you cycle out of white or purple. The track is marked W1, W2, W3 for the marshalling positions after white, P1, P2, P3, etc for after purple. NORCAL has this down to a science, it's all about running as many entries as possible in one day. 100+ is not uncommon. I try to look at it as just a different way to play a game, and if you think about it, it is much more challenging to race this way. If you and I are racing with Alicia, Jmac, Little Jimmy Radford, Kevin K and the others it is usually fairly clean. Run the A Main at the Nats and it is pretty easy (but not always!!!). Try NORCAL sometime. You will sometimes be running a GT12 doing 3.7s during the race and you have a guy running 4.7s next to you....dealing with the closing rate is a learned skill.

Think of it this way....ALMS....how would it be to run the different classes separately versus how is it having those prototypes passing the GT cars? I think mixing the classes in that series is an important element of that form of racing. Similarly, racing slot car with different driver skill levels just makes it a different racing element.

Its all designed to make YOU a better driver! At least that is what I tell myself-
    Jasn
    Asking all things relevant-

So George.... are you implying that NORCAL racing will look like this today?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Tony

ALMS racing at the Baltimore Grand Prix (shot through some protective fencing).
    OWH Slotographer

Another beautiful photo by Tony Moore. Tony, you are truly an artist.

We have 82 entries today with LMP the biggest class 24 entries. I was lickin' my chops for this one as my car was verging on 3.8s in practice...same car I ran in Phillie. The race started on white and in turn 3 the guy on red panicked and came off in front of me. No worries, a whole race ahead. Then in the 3rd lap the car stopped in the 90. Long story short, I couldn't check it until coming back on red several heats later. I pulled the motor and did normal diagnostics for stopped car. Hooked up analyzer to braids. No draw. Hooked up to bussbars. No draw. Poked brushes. No draw. OK, now it's weird. Pulled motor apart and on the comm was what looked like excessive dirt. Poked it. It stuck. Poked hard. It came off. Kind of a little booger thing (technical term) stuck to the comm. It was polished looking on the side stuck to the comm.

I have never seen this one before, but now I've seen it all! Put the motor together and went in on blue. I come back in on black next heat...all I can do is hope for fast lap time!!!! It's worth bragging rights.

George,

I supose it is all what you are used to. Sounds like you guys have a pretty healthy series so it must be what the majority of the guys like.

We had a pretty light turnout today(well I guess yesterday now...), but I personally had one of my best racing days in a VERY long time, winning the 1/32 GTP race, Getting the trifecta (concours, TQ, and 1st place) in GP10 and following it up with a third in LMP.

Next week we have 1/32 Euro, GT12, and 1/24 Euro. This will be the first 32nd Euro race we have ever had. Should be a lot of fun!
    Gary Johnson

Thanks George,

Sorry about your racing woes.

Tony
    OWH Slotographer

OK, here is the race report for this weekend.

In two words: horror story.

NORCAL: not recommended for the faint of heart. As reported yesterday, in LMP my car stopped on lap 3. Couldn't figure out why until I disassembled the motor and found a small piece of debris sort of welded to the comm insulating whichever brush was trying to make contact. I have never seen that.

Then in GT12 (2009 Dog) I was contending for the lead when one of the best racers in the area either freaked out or suddenly tried to go as fast as my car and took me out...on to the floor. I was on green, he was way on the inside on one of the fast lanes. I think he tried to push too hard, it's understandable. When they put my car back on, it was grinding. Couldn't figure out what was wrong but I was able to maintain pretty competitive lap times going almost full punch around the track. But in the last heat it stopped grinding and went faster again. Final diagnosis....the hit had knocked a big piece of lamination out of one of the stacks so it went out of balance worse than a 16D circa 1993. Then the weirder thing was, in the last heat the windings must have shifted because suddenly it went more or less back into balance. I have never seen that.

Then in the 1/24 eurosport race today, I was cruising to a win in the last heat and the car just stopped dead. Couldn't figure out what was wrong, but after the race Frank and the rest of us got curious and tore the car down. Final diagnosis, the rear bearing opposite the gear side had completely frozen, would not turn. I have never seen that.

This was a cluster.....of unfortunate incidents.