Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Quote Originally Posted by GearBear View Post
    So George,

What is the thought on the round robins vs the qualifying/multiple mains format that we use? Doesn't the big round robin make for crash fests? And how on earth do you figure out the standings during the race? Personally, I hate Round Robins. And do you just have the computer randomly pick your lanes for you?
    OK Gary, I am completely and 100% back into your camp. The racing yesterday was absolutely the most hideous event I have ever been to. There are only two solutions I can see to the way that series is run. The best would be to go back to how they did it originally which was run round robins by driver level...advanced race, expert race. That's going to be 50% better. The other thing if they wanted to keep it the way it is would be to have drivers meetings that include discussion of how to race with varied levels of driving ability and car speed. Discussion would be around fast drivers working verbally with slower drivers next to them, to always pass on the main straightaway. Faster driver assures slower driver "I will wait for you and stay back about 5'-6' until the main chute, then that would be the passing point"....blue flag....Likewise, slower drivers assure faster drivers, "please wait to pass me until we get to the main chute and I'll be glad to let you by". Was there any kind of communication? Very little. These guys have been doing this series this was for a long time, and it has a reputation as being a crash fest....no wonder, they just haven't worked out how to mix different levels. Very frustrating form of racing. You're right Gary. It's gonna be a long wait until the Nats!!
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    OK Gary, I am completely and 100% back into your camp. The racing yesterday was absolutely the most hideous event I have ever been to. There are only two solutions I can see to the way that series is run. The best would be to go back to how they did it originally which was run round robins by driver level...advanced race, expert race. That's going to be 50% better. The other thing if they wanted to keep it the way it is would be to have drivers meetings that include discussion of how to race with varied levels of driving ability and car speed. Discussion would be around fast drivers working verbally with slower drivers next to them, to always pass on the main straightaway. Faster driver assures slower driver "I will wait for you and stay back about 5'-6' until the main chute, then that would be the passing point"....blue flag....Likewise, slower drivers assure faster drivers, "please wait to pass me until we get to the main chute and I'll be glad to let you by". Was there any kind of communication? Very little. These guys have been doing this series this was for a long time, and it has a reputation as being a crash fest....no wonder, they just haven't worked out how to mix different levels. Very frustrating form of racing. You're right Gary. It's gonna be a long wait until the Nats!!
    Gary and SR I agree !

As one of the slower racers it is just as frustrating trying to learn your own rhythm while trying not to take out the faster cars. I had a very fast car for Nascar (thanks to Dub Motors) but my driving skills are still a work in progress. Lost a lot of laps by either trying to let faster cars go by or getting caught up in trying to push myself to keep up.

I didn't get to run LMP but watching amateurs drive the Testarossa 1 ft at a time, stopping in all the wrong spots and generally running 2 seconds slower was frustrating to watch.

Splitting the rounds into Pro-Expert and Adv-Amateur would be better for everyone without adding too much time to the day.

Next month (3 weeks) is Rocklin. Nascar / Nastruck on the Purple Angel and LMP / GT12 on the MTT.

Hey, maybe a road trip to the Wade 500 next month would help !
    Alan Ingram

If you qualify, stacking your mains in a ABC mode is in essance a Pro/Semipro/Amature races from slower to fast (at least in theroy). The names no longer use Amature or Pro you are what you qualify in an A or B or a C and may be a D or E if there are 32-40 attendees. So when you sign up be sure to sign up as an A driver, I am more a B or C but like someday Ill be an A again...

We will see at the Nats if that how it going to be run in the group racing and nothings been annouced how those classes are to be run.
    If it is still an ABC mains in the group classes the carnage will be slow motion carnage median readabe carnage and faster invisable carnage of eight racers.

FYI: I don't know if you noticed but currently listed USRA rules 1/24th and 1/32 "Eurosport Race Proceedures " are no longer noted as "ABC format" like last year Nats. They are now listed as "One Final main" and "multiple qaulifying semis" placed in accordance to single qualifying times. The ABC main Wording has been removed.

That will have to be dealt with or prepaired for this year Nats at SCR.

Raymond
    Last edited by Slapshot; 09-12-2011 at 06:46 AM. Reason: ABC was spelled incorrectly mainly as CBA

Hey George! I tried to stay out of your way but it didn't always happen. I'm definitely one of those 1/2 second slower drivers on the flat track. Even as I get a few more races under my belt, I won't be in your or Chris' world. I'll restate: It's a pleasure to watch you make your way around that track. Gus in Sacto

Hey SR,

A couple races on Mid-America's new "Midwest Mayhem" should prepare you well for anything Frank's guys can throw at you!

We need to Race Eurosports at least once on the Mayhem. It would be a true Iron Man Race.

Kevin you in.

Mike
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

Quote Originally Posted by mazur50 View Post
    We need to Race Eurosports at least once on the Mayhem. It would be a true Iron Man Race.

Kevin you in.

Mike
    Only with a full field, and I can run .900 wide tires on my Speedshop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ingram View Post
    Gary and SR I agree !

As one of the slower racers it is just as frustrating trying to learn your own rhythm while trying not to take out the faster cars. I had a very fast car for Nascar (thanks to Dub Motors) but my driving skills are still a work in progress. Lost a lot of laps by either trying to let faster cars go by or getting caught up in trying to push myself to keep up.

I didn't get to run LMP but watching amateurs drive the Testarossa 1 ft at a time, stopping in all the wrong spots and generally running 2 seconds slower was frustrating to watch.

Splitting the rounds into Pro-Expert and Adv-Amateur would be better for everyone without adding too much time to the day.

Next month (3 weeks) is Rocklin. Nascar / Nastruck on the Purple Angel and LMP / GT12 on the MTT.

Hey, maybe a road trip to the Wade 500 next month would help !
    Alan, I knew you would be one of the voices of reason! I absolutely agree, and I empathize with the "Novice" and "Advanced" level drivers. I would be scared to death of wrecking other cars, and at the same time I would also want to somehow keep up with them. I know that some of the advanced level racers could build good stuff, but not necessarily keep it on the track....build technology beyond driving capability. I even remember at this year's Nats I became a moving target for poor Roy Hood in GT12, kept deslotting and taking him out. I truly felt awful for him, not even so much worried about my own race. It is no fun being a "problem".

You seem to think going with splitting the drivers levels is the way to go, Alan. But I know that the "ones in power" think there won't be enough turn marshalls. Just allowing the .540" diameter arms was rocking the boat in a major way for NORCAL...they do not like change. However, like I said, perhaps if we spent more time working out what is obviously a problem, we can make it better for everyone. I agree that splitting is the way to go though.

Quote Originally Posted by Slapshot View Post
    If you qualify, stacking your mains in a ABC mode is in essance a Pro/Semipro/Amature races from slower to fast (at least in theroy). The names no longer use Amature or Pro you are what you qualify in an A or B or a C and may be a D or E if there are 32-40 attendees. So when you sign up be sure to sign up as an A driver, I am more a B or C but like someday Ill be an A again...

We will see at the Nats if that how it going to be run in the group racing and nothings been annouced how those classes are to be run.
    If it is still an ABC mains in the group classes the carnage will be slow motion carnage median readabe carnage and faster invisable carnage of eight racers.

FYI: I don't know if you noticed but currently listed USRA rules 1/24th and 1/32 "Eurosport Race Proceedures " are no longer noted as "ABC format" like last year Nats. They are now listed as "One Final main" and "multiple qaulifying semis" placed in accordance to single qualifying times. The ABC main Wording has been removed.

That will have to be dealt with or prepaired for this year Nats at SCR.

Raymond
    Yeah Raymond, all very well said. Qualifying is for sure how all car racing is done. 1:1 racing does not have a random lane assignment option! It does add enough time that NORCAL could not do that format....four classes, 82 entries this weekend. We used to use the "seeding" method in IMCA. For NORCAL the best would be to sign up for different mains.

On the USRA, that thing is one big moving target. Even when you get to the event it is like walking on jello, even more so at some venues than others. Hopefully we can get USRA back on a better footing in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by caprikinggus View Post
    Hey George! I tried to stay out of your way but it didn't always happen. I'm definitely one of those 1/2 second slower drivers on the flat track. Even as I get a few more races under my belt, I won't be in your or Chris' world. I'll restate: It's a pleasure to watch you make your way around that track. Gus in Sacto
    Hello Gus, I hope you read and understand my thoughts on NORCAL from what I have written so far. No blame at all in this, but I think the organization is kept under a tight lid. Unfortunately, when you look at what's inside the jar, it ain't purty! You would have been much better off racing with other advanced level drivers without us on the track. Your car was really good, but I don't think you knew the track very well. You should have seen how many times I came off the track in Philadelphia on the Super 8!! I was pitiful even after 7 races. The Testarossa is my home track and I test there all the time, so to try to race with guys who have never been on the track is an accident waiting to happen. I remember before the race started one guy asked another what lane he goes to in the next heat. All I could think was, "OMG". You're doing great Gus!

Quote Originally Posted by mazur50 View Post

Kevin you in.

Mike
    Just take a plane to Sacramento for next month's NORCAL race Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by KVAN View Post
    Only with a full field, and I can run .900 wide tires on my Speedshop!
    Don't forget to sharpen the edges of the pie plate Kevin.....use a whetting stone too...

SR
    I know from both sides of this issue.being 1 of the lesser drivers with good cars a few years ago to now being mid pack driver with the same good cars. We use 30 second qualifying in Garden State Isra and it sets up mains pretty fairly . 30 seconds doesn't take up a lot of time either. also help teach the newer guys how to keep there cars on and make reasonable lap times so they have a chance to make higher mains . if they catch a little luck and make the A main that's also good for them .It will keep them interested . but SR you touched on it before the drivers need to be schooled on knowing when to let someone by where to slow down and not stop just into the turn . the better drivers need to be a little more patient when racing with lesser qualified drivers. would make for better racing all around.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Alan, I knew you would be one of the voices of reason! I absolutely agree, and I empathize with the "Novice" and "Advanced" level drivers. I would be scared to death of wrecking other cars, and at the same time I would also want to somehow keep up with them. I know that some of the advanced level racers could build good stuff, but not necessarily keep it on the track....build technology beyond driving capability. I even remember at this year's Nats I became a moving target for poor Roy Hood in GT12, kept deslotting and taking him out. I truly felt awful for him, not even so much worried about my own race. It is no fun being a "problem".

You seem to think going with splitting the drivers levels is the way to go, Alan. But I know that the "ones in power" think there won't be enough turn marshalls. Just allowing the .540" diameter arms was rocking the boat in a major way for NORCAL...they do not like change. However, like I said, perhaps if we spent more time working out what is obviously a problem, we can make it better for everyone. I agree that splitting is the way to go though.
    SR we are in complete agreement ! When I raced at the flats this summer I was able to race with drivers of equal abilities with the multiple main format. Really helped me dial things in as I wasn't worried about taking out the top contenders. By the time I was into my second (and final) race I had a great grove going and actually won my main. Being able to race my own race without worrying about taking others out allowed me to drive a good race, and I actually came out much less.

I know what you mean about change ! Apparently there were people who didn't show because they were upset with the .540 rule change. Kinda ridiculous as I don't remember any track records being broken. What people seem to forget is that change is inevitable, or would everybody like to be running 1990 equipment ? I'm still trying to understand the reasoning to no shunts? Can someone explain how shunts are a bad thing ? No real cost, fairly easy to install and makes motors more durable. Never mind, I can see how THAT would be a bad thing

Oh well, time to start practicing and preparing for next race. This one is in my backyard so hopefully I can drive a couple of solid races. Just a heads up on the "Teal" flat track...you are going to need plenty of bite for this track. it is in good condition but usually much lower on traction than the Testarossa. It is called an MTT, but the doughnut is uphill and no esses before the straight. Red and white are killers as you can be hooked up everywhere else and be on marbles in those 2 lanes.
    Alan Ingram

But I know that the "ones in power" think there won't be enough turn marshalls.
    Most tracks can be marshaled well with 6-7 and with the turnouts we get I don't see how this could be a problem. Pro/expert marshals for Adv/Am and vise-versa. Keep ALL cars in impound and allow 5-10 min between "mains" and the day should go very well.
    Alan Ingram