Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Wait a minute! Am/adv marshals for exp/pro? = Blasphemy!

I do see both sides of the coin. One must admit that surviving the round robin format ( in most cases) makes for a better overall driver in the long run. Of coarse there are always exceptions.

Face it, to be able to run fairly well (read surviving) or taking a win in any of the four races on a Nor-Cal race day is quite an accomplishment in its self!
    Support Your Local Raceway
    AKA "Big John"
    Bring us around

SR,

One thing we do to speed up qualifying is to use the automatic qualifying in SRT, making it so that the next person to qualify has 30 seconds to put their car on the track and hook up their controller after the previous person has finished. It moves qualifying along quite nicely. We allow 1 minute for qualifying, but you could easily change that to a shorter time. And the multiple main format does add time. But in the end I think it also leaves people with a feeling of pride that they did well in their main. Re-read Alan's comment about his flats experience on that. He did an awesome job learning that track and then doing well keeping up with the locals.
    Gary Johnson

Garden State Isra you have to stay and Marshall the main after yours and we ask everyone to please stay and Marshall 1 race after they are done for the day and we usually always have enough .
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

So the pretentious racers want to race amongst themselves and to hell with the rest?

I believe separation of amateurs and experts is beneficial to a race program as a whole. As new racers enter the sport it can be very discouraging to them when they are unable to feel like they are making progress. We can all remember starting our racing hobby and it taking time to learn the small intricacies of the sport. For the long term prosperity of our race programs we split the lower 3 scale classes we race as well as our weekly race programs between amateur and expert drivers. I've found this allows newer drivers to not only progress in their race ability, it gives them the opportunity for the glory of the podium (and track bucks!) on a more frequent basis. In the past when we split drivers into only mains it never failed that a top driver or two would have qualifying issues and end up dominating the lower mains. We do however allow amateurs if they choose to race with the experts as well. As an expert racer by default (definitely not ability) it is up to myself and other more experienced drivers to use that experience and be mindful of where the amateur drivers skillset and position on the track are and use that knowledge to avoid crashes just as we would racing against any driver. To expedite the race program we do not qualify amateur race classes. With large turnouts of more than 8 racers we do split the mains based on qualifying for the experts and randomly amongst the amateurs or a round robin depending on number of entrants and also taking into consideration turn marshall availability. For series we do payouts, awards and plaques for both so everyone has an opportunity to compete and win. I can't say this would work for everyone but for our race programs it seems to work quite nicely.
    Jim Radford
    Pacific Slot Car Raceways
    http://www.shoppscr.com
    Visit us on Facebook
    (253) 446-5039
    Host site of the 2014 & 2016 DIV II USRA Nationals

Quote Originally Posted by backintheslot View Post
    Wait a minute! Am/adv marshals for exp/pro? = Blasphemy!
    I think you have that backwards as a lot (not all) of the "Pros/Experts" are not very good marshals... but they are really good at yelling at them !

BTW John, where were you ? Hope you can make Rocklin.

I know this sounds like pretty rough event, but it really is an incredible group of racers. You had better be on your "A" game if you want to win a NorCal event.

Gary, the auto qualify might work but it would add at least 2 hours plus the added race time to an already long day. There were several racers from 4+ hours away, consider that we start at 10(most get there by 8) and hope to be done by 8 that adds up to 20+ hr day for some. That's a tough trip to do once a month. And thanks for the nice words
    Alan Ingram

Since when has NASCAR, Indy or F1 raced in seperate classes?

It is every man for himself. Sure the cream gets held up by the slower drivers, but you don't hear them bitchin' and moanin' like some racers here on this forum
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

At Wade Raceway we run amateur and expert classes. You are considered an amateur until you have won three amateur races, then you must advance to expert class. You can however run amateur and expert if you would like to, but once you have won 3 races in amateur you can only race expert.

Running this way at Wade Raceway and then getting to experience the multiple ( A,B,C ) mains based on qualifying times at Flats, I think I like the multiple mains way better. I feel that this helps to separate less experienced, or slower drivers from the faster drivers who should have the experience to avoid wrecks and make good passing decisions. I also like this method because it was based off lap totals and not dependent on which main you are in. Someone in the C-main could win the whole thing with enough laps.

I feel like the one main downfall with the multiple mains format is that if an experienced driver has a slower qualifying time they may be in a situation where they might have to avoid more wrecks which could hurt their lap total. But if they truly are an experienced driver they SHOULD be able to avoid many of those wrecks and still do well in the race.
    Kyle Hoff

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Since when has NASCAR, Indy or F1 raced in seperate classes?

It is every man for himself. Sure the cream gets held up by the slower drivers, but you don't hear them bitchin' and moanin' like some racers here on this forum
    NASCAR, Indy & F1 definitely DO have separate classes of racing. To get into the top class in each of those, you need to have advanced through the ranks of Busch (?), Indy Lights, F-5000, let alone several other classes below those before you are lucky enough to be even considered to run in the "big leagues".

And as far as never hearing drivers in 1/1 racing complaining about getting held up, or anything else... ROFL - I'll bet if you could listen in on a driver's meeting you wouldn't be saying that!!! Try reading some of the 1/1 car racing forums and I'm sure you'd find plenty of complaining!

I think you're trying to stir the pot again, Zip.

Many racing orgs have tried several different formats to try to solve both problems - sorting different ability levels, and getting the racing done more efficiently.

I'd say that each system has it's pros & cons, and often what works well for one group may not be what another group likes. It's also hard to change a whole race format from what any racing group is used to.

Different strokes for different folks... and different streaks for different freaks.

PK

P.S. - I wonder if all this talk about race formats is starting to stray from Slotcar Racer's main thread topic a bit... maybe we've already got it covered and out of our system... but if not, should we start up a new thread about race formats??? I'll leave that one up to SR.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I love the round robin format - it equals the boys out from the men.

And no Paul, I am not SS.

Your different classes analogy does not hold water. All 3 codes still allow for "bunnies" to race in the main event. Classy bunnies, but still bunnies
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

Holy thread drift O' Rama batman!

Gentlemen, Lets not forget we are running FOUR races a day here with anywhere from 80 to 100+ entries. Qualifying and multi mains would mean racing until the wee hours of the morning. Since the Nor-cal series is one of the strongest in the country, The organization must be doing something right!

At least you know going in its going to be interesting!

Wish I could of been there but, I had to go to San Diego as I am an uncle again and it was one of those rare occasions that the boss put her foot down!

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming!

P.S I have to agree with Mr. Ingram, It is quite an incredible and fun group of racers with a lot of character!
    Last edited by backintheslot; 09-12-2011 at 04:05 PM. Reason: add the P.S...............................
    Support Your Local Raceway
    AKA "Big John"
    Bring us around

Hey George! I agree with you, especially in this case when there is such a large difference in class speeds. It was a light turn-out at Franks, as we get 100-115 entries in Fresno and Modesto. Soooo the importance of getting the program going and staying on task. I look forward to next months run and seeing you there. Gus in Sacto

So SR,
    Which Bulldog did you end up running Sat?
    Now that you have a couple races with the x25-c11-025 for LMP what are your thoughts on that combo ?
    What are your thoughts about GTP at the Nats ? Will this combo work well with the high downforce bodies ?
    BTW was there a Eurosport race yesterday ?
    Alan Ingram

SR
    hows that f1 build coming very interesting looking f1 . I"m sure by now you have figured out the puzzle would like an update if you could.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Please note: I was NOT suggesting that NORCAL change their format! I was actually just curious about the format. And then when asked added more information on how our format works. Each group needs to run their races the way they see fit.

IMHO, I would rather race three 8 man mains than a 24 man round robin, even if you throw out the qualifying and let the computer seed the drivers into the mains randomly. But that is me.

Well I better head home from work so that I can hopefully finish getting my 1/32 Euro and GT12's ready for racing this Saturday. I need to paint some bodies and rebuild some motors!
    Gary Johnson